Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you found out God existed?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

I'm not sure what I'd do if I met her.

Boom.

God's a woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Shenshen wrote: »
    So you don't think god's omnipotent, then? He would not have been able to create a self-sustaining world without inflicting enormous suffering on its inhabitants?

What's the point of worshipping him, then, if he clearly is unable to help?

Without this enormous suffering, we would all die due to overpopulation. The weakest die off in natural selection.
    I don't worship, I'm atheist, I'm just showing how the other viewpoint works and how those of religious belief should be respected. The logic behind it is pretty sound.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Without this enormous suffering, we would all die due to overpopulation. The weakest die off in natural selection.
    I don't worship, I'm atheist, I'm just showing how the other viewpoint works and how those of religious belief should be respected. The logic behind it is pretty sound.

It's only sound if you either assume that god couldn't create a world that wouldn't induce suffering, in which case he's not omnipotent.

Or else he could have but didn't, in which case he's a bit of a prick and certainly not what I would call benevolent.

I reserve judgement until god sees fit to explain his actions. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

wylie wrote: »
    I did, he does. Started going to mass on Sundays. No harm in asking God for a sign to help with your faith.

Catholic mass? If so, why catholic mass? Why not your nearest synagogue or mosque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

I put out a fleece. He answered. So that church it is.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Far be it from me who was no religion to talk about God. But I do remember learning about the free will part in my childhood and thus learning that this life was not influenced by a God. So if one is stricken with Leukaemia or wins the lotto, it has absolutely nothing to do with a God, or ones beliefs in him or her. If a supreme intelligence creates life, life which is independent and free, life which is open to an infinite number of possible outcomes based on parentage, genetics, environment, location, ect. Then it is pretty pointless to wave one's fist in the air and shout at a cloud blaming him or her for the World's woes. Free will means it's up to us, free from interference, free from meddling and I find it even more ironic, when such shouting comes from non-believers like myself.
    While that is a fair point, shouldn't that also make 'thanking God' completely pointless, since one's own good fortune comes from their own free will, and not God doing well and looking after them?

Yep Corvus, YOU know who I am talking about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexicanfan

Beg for mercy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... Your proof that this person is telling you the truth is they can tell you exactly what your loved ones who are in heaven are like and he can preform miracles. ...

Proof that they have googled me or been through my dry recyclables wheelie bin maybe. Paul Daniels and David Blaine did miracles in front of peoples' faces but nobody wants to listen to them.
    OneArt wrote: »
    I'd contact Lord Asriel and join the rebellion against the Authority.

The Quare Fella Himself? The Bearer of Light?

I suppose if I was granted such an audience, I would ask to hear a few jokes.

I mean this Creator is an entity who created the universe, a universe where some matter and energy composed self-aware entities with individual consciousness. Some of these then claim to speak on the Creator's behalf and some deny the existence of the Creator. There are no funnier jokes.

Advertisement