Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you found out God existed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask for super powers.

Or if not, then they aren't god...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

If he is so anti-gay why the phuk did he make so many of them? More of His sadistic "pulling-wings-off-flies" carry on.

He's a very hard Guy to warm to....shows classic psychopath tendencies....

That's more or less my point.

I can, at a broad stretch, understand the concept of allowing people suffer at the hands of others. They will be rewarded in the afterlife, and (in theory) it allows humankind the chance the chance to develop its own intelligence and compassion instead of just reacting to "God will punish you if you are cruel". The development of compassion out of free will rather than fear is important.

However, why make people with inherent urges that go against the rules for having a good afterlife? Homosexuality and the general urge for pre-marital sex are the only ones that spring readily to mind, but there have to be others. Unlike with the suffering notion, this is different. It's not about developing compassion for others or free will, it's purely "Don't do this because God says you shouldn't". I can't think of any logic behind that, even a cruel logic, so that's why I take the most issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just pretend you wake up tomorrow morning to find out that God has sent a messenger to the word preching his message. His message is basically telling you to be a good Catholic(not perfect) in order to get into heaven. Your proof that this person is telling you the truth is they can tell you exactly what your loved ones who are in heaven are like and he can preform miracles.
    Would you change to being a better Catholic? Or would you carry on in your sinful ways?

I'd ask him why he has been such a **** allowing so much of the world to go to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd kick him in the face. And not just because it is a populous answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Do an absolute shît load of apologising.

• Advertisement

The only thing a sane, rational person can do. Kill him!

Very good! Been reading a certain Russian novelist, per chance?

For those of you who haven't read one of the truly great pieces of world literature (and existential philosophy), here's a summary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Blasphemers, the lot of ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd be straight down the George into a machete and a shotgun to begin making amends. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Funny, I was just going to say that it sounds like a bit of a con that God should get the blame for things that go wrong, but deserves no gratitude for things that go right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It would certainly need to be an exceptional apology

Immaculate, even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Would got just send a text these days instead of a messenger?
    If that is the case I would just block the number.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Would got just send a text these days instead of a messenger?
    If that is the case I would just block the number.

Its God, you cant really block his number, he just unblock it and shìt. In fact if you did block his number, he would probably spam you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Nuke him just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Would you change to being a better Catholic? Or would you carry on in your sinful ways?

You're assuming i'm catholic to begin with.

Screw your messenger, my god offers beers volcanoes and stripper factories. Top that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

id hire him to build me a new shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd try better to be good. But then again, if s/he is a God they'll know me full well and my chances of sticking to it are slim to none :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Not necessarily. If a God created life, if it created humans and animals and bacteria etc., it would have created them to live. Cancer is developed by our cells mutilating, and these mutilated cells multiplying out of control. It's not really something created, per say. It's just a fault of our bodies. God would not really have had to create cancer for it to exist.

It is preached that the reason it doesn't interfere is because free will is the ultimate goal. Cancer wasn't really an issue up until the last 100/200 years. This means that it has most likely been caused by our environment and ways of life. Cancer treatments are progressing rapidly, and eventually it is highly possible that all forms of cancer will be cured. This demonstrates a circle, the will to live in a way that causes illness and the will to cure it. This is what many religions preach.

Another commonly asked question is why a God would permit poverty and disease amongst those in the 3rd world. The answer is the same really, we DO have the power to change it, but the greed of the wealthy overpowers the need of the poor. Sad reality of life, but demonstrates free will.

I assume you mean "mutated" when you say "mutilated"?

Cancer has been documented as far back as Roman times, it's by no means a new phenomenon.

Again, assuming this omnipotent, omniscient god created the world, he indisputably created it knowing that it would contain cancer. He created it with parasites that will kill their hosts painfully and slowly. He created it with contagious and congenital diseases.
    You seem to claim that really he wasn't aware and didn't know what he was doing, which is not a claim many religions would support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

If god created man on his own image, why do we all look different and some or most of us are uggos. Why are we not all men with beards? Why are we women with moustaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd ask him when planned to wreak great vengeance and furious anger down upon the Catholic Church for the crimes of hoarding vast wealth while millions starve.
    I'd ask him how much of what his "messagers on earth" spout was his, and how much of it was their own narrow mindedness.
    I'd make him answer Steven Fry's question about why he created a world full of evil that can happen to the innocent.

Then I'd crucify the ****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm not being defensive,trust me I don't care,but it's genuinely difficult to believe that a lot of these comments were written by grown ups.

I mean seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

kneemos wrote: »
    I'm not being defensive,trust me I don't care,but it's genuinely difficult to believe that a lot of these comments were written by grown ups.

I mean seriously.

It's After Hours.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Haha messengers, why does God not have the balls do his own proselytising?

Anyway God does have a soft spot for red light districts (as seen by the fact that the one in New Orleans was left relatively intact after Hurricane katrina) so who knows, me and old whore monger God might actually get along :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Shenshen wrote: »

Cancer has been documented as far back as Roman times, it's by no means a new phenomenon.

Again, assuming this omnipotent, omniscient god created the world, he indisputably created it knowing that it would contain cancer. He created it with parasites that will kill their hosts painfully and slowly. He created it with contagious and congenital diseases.
    You seem to claim that really he wasn't aware and didn't know what he was doing, which is not a claim many religions would support.

Because free will man free will, When you don't have the answer you just claim "god" gave us free will and therefore it's all our own fault.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

"Howya God. You have the power and wisdom (infinite) and insight to be the only person or celestial being to answer the following question. Which is the best mobile operator really? Really like?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

kneemos wrote: »

I mean seriously.

I find it hard to credit the circular, childish thinking of some of the Godbotherers on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

If God arrived on Earth could do everything as described in the Bible but appeared in the form of a woman the Pope wouldn't believe her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I would be terrified into confroming.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I'd be very afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Shenshen wrote: »

Yeah, mutate, damn autocorrect :D

It has indeed been documented that far back, but it certainly didn't affect one in three like today. He created it knowing cells would mutate, yes, but if he didn't then he would have made us immortal. That wasn't really a goal, either.

Our world can't really sustain itself without diseases such as cancer and aids. We're overpopulated as it is, and they are an excellent way of culling our population. I know that sounds incredibly heartless, but it's the truth. And if some diseases weren't congenital and contagious, they wouldn't spread as easily and therefore we wouldn't cull the population as efficiently as we do now.

A God may be doing a great thing for the common good by having a world with disease and decay. Without them, we would run out of resources and all probably die. Some dying is better than all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Yeah, mutate, damn autocorrect :D

It has indeed been documented that far back, but it certainly didn't affect one in three like today. He created it knowing cells would mutate, yes, but if he didn't then he would have made us immortal. That wasn't really a goal, either.

Our world can't really sustain itself without diseases such as cancer and aids. We're overpopulated as it is, and they are an excellent way of culling our population. I know that sounds incredibly heartless, but it's the truth. And if some diseases weren't congenital and contagious, they wouldn't spread as easily and therefore we wouldn't cull the population as efficiently as we do now.

A God may be doing a great thing for the common good by having a world with disease and decay. Without them, we would run out of resources and all probably die. Some dying is better than all.

So why not just kill off all the non believers and leave the planet less populated for the people who worship him? Why kill off a child or a devout follower with a sickening disease but let a mass murderer live a life of luxury?

Advertisement