Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you found out God existed?

Options
  • 26-07-2015 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,195 ✭✭✭✭

Just pretend you wake up tomorrow morning to find out that God has sent a messenger to the word preching his message. His message is basically telling you to be a good Catholic(not perfect) in order to get into heaven. Your proof that this person is telling you the truth is they can tell you exactly what your loved ones who are in heaven are like and he can preform miracles.
    Would you change to being a better Catholic? Or would you carry on in your sinful ways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just pretend you wake up tomorrow morning to find out that God has sent a messenger to the word preching his message. His message is basically telling you to be a good Catholic(not perfect) in order to get into heaven. Your proof that this person is telling you the truth is they can tell you exactly what your loved ones who are in heaven are like and he can preform miracles.
    Would you change to being a better Catholic? Or would you carry on in your sinful ways?

why does god need a messenger? can it not appear itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd ask this person what does god need with a starship?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ask him where the fûck is my euro millions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Carry on as normal. I decide how I live my life. It's only sinful if you choose to believe that rubbish. Normal human biology is not sinful.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

>implying boards isn't full of athiests

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I'd continue on the same, as I don't do anything based on their being, or not being, an after life / God.

I'd probably start making money selling The 21st Century Messiah* merchandise though.

I'd immediately stop murdering, stealing and swindling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Send messenger in the direction of Stephen Fry, let him deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

The only thing a sane, rational person can do. Kill him!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If god existed I'd prefer for it to appear in person rather than some "messenger"..

"Messengers" are usually the main problem with religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Archeron

Candie wrote: »

Then i would take them up, just to balance out the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Carry on with my sinful ways. All the best people are in hell. Name me anyone in heaven that would be any kind of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Candie wrote: »

And whoring, can't forget all the whoring

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd go up to him/!her and say in my best Miley Byrne from Glenroe accent impression.... 'Well, holy Godddddd!!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

FortySeven wrote: »
    Carry on with my sinful ways. All the best people are in hell. Name me anyone in heaven that would be any kind of craic.

FortySix was sound......
    RIP..(sniff*)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'd want to check the data, make sure it's reproducible in triplicate, or sufficient to bring the p < 0.05, in multiple test centres around the world.

Then <insert Stephen Fry interview>.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Not catholic, so all his Do/Don't rules don't apply to me.

So it would be a normal day for me. Slightly less traffic & people to deal with as they would be all off to gawk at the crazy man & his ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kill the **** for George Dubya Bush, and for letting McDonalds do away with the McRib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd ask who he wants killed and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'd contact Lord Asriel and join the rebellion against the Authority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I think of all the God improbabilities, a Catholic God is the most improbable of all.

I would need some serious explanations before I did anything - as to if the guy is all powerful, how come the world is all fcuked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Even if god was real I wouldn't want to worship it anyway, so I'd carry on as normal.

I mean, why would you worship a being that will send you to hell if you don't bow down and pray to it? Always seemed odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Avoid anyone dressed in black,the smugness would be unbearable.
    Build a bunker in preparation for the holy war.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So basically change nothing then?

I think I could work with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Repent......hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No one can answer this as well as Stephen Fry Imo

Gay Byrne:
    ... suppose it's all true and you walk up to the pearly gates and you are confronted by God. What would Stephen Fry say to him, her or it?

Stephen Fry:
    I will basically (it's known as theodicy I think) I'll say, "Bone cancer in children? What's that about? How dare you! How dare you create a world where there is such misery that is not our fault! It's not right. It is utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain. That's what I'd say.

And you think you're going to get in?
    Oh, but I wouldn't want to. I wouldn't want to get in on his terms. They're wrong.

Now, if I died and it was Pluto, Hades and if it were the twelve Greek gods, then I'd have more truck with it because the Greeks didn't pretend not to be human in their appetites, and in their capriciousness and their unreasonableness; they didn't present themselves as being all-seeing, all-wise, all-kind, all-munificent; because the god who created this universe (if it was created by God) is, quite clearly, a maniac - utter maniac, totally selfish.

We have to spend our life on our knees thanking him? What kind of god would do that?

Yes, the world is very splendid, but it also has in it insects whose whole life-cycle is to burrow into the eyes of children and make them blind. They eat outwards from the eyes. Why did you do that? Why? Why did you do that to us? You could easily have made a creation where that didn't exist. It is simply not acceptable.

So, you know, atheism is not just about not believing there's a god - but, on the assumption there is one, what kind of god is it? It's perfectly apparent that he is monstrous, utterly monstrous, and deserves no respect whatsoever. The moment you banish him your life becomes simpler, purer, cleaner - more worth living in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I would do everything I could to oppose the demented bastard for all the lives he's ruined.

No one can answer this as well as Stephen Fry Imo

Gay Byrne:
    ... suppose it's all true and you walk up to the pearly gates and you are confronted by God. What would Stephen Fry say to him, her or it?

Stephen Fry:
    I will basically (it's known as theodicy I think) I'll say, "Bone cancer in children? What's that about? How dare you! How dare you create a world where there is such misery that is not our fault! It's not right. It is utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain. That's what I'd say.

And you think you're going to get in?
    Oh, but I wouldn't want to. I wouldn't want to get in on his terms. They're wrong.

Now, if I died and it was Pluto, Hades and if it were the twelve Greek gods, then I'd have more truck with it because the Greeks didn't pretend not to be human in their appetites, and in their capriciousness and their unreasonableness; they didn't present themselves as being all-seeing, all-wise, all-kind, all-munificent; because the god who created this universe (if it was created by God) is, quite clearly, a maniac - utter maniac, totally selfish.

We have to spend our life on our knees thanking him? What kind of god would do that?

Yes, the world is very splendid, but it also has in it insects whose whole life-cycle is to burrow into the eyes of children and make them blind. They eat outwards from the eyes. Why did you do that? Why? Why did you do that to us? You could easily have made a creation where that didn't exist. It is simply not acceptable.

So, you know, atheism is not just about not believing there's a god - but, on the assumption there is one, what kind of god is it? It's perfectly apparent that he is monstrous, utterly monstrous, and deserves no respect whatsoever. The moment you banish him your life becomes simpler, purer, cleaner - more worth living in my opinion.

God can't interfere,if he did people would say well why did he allow my business to fail,why did my kid break her leg or why the miserable summer?
    Basically blamed for everything.

Most of the ills of the world are within the wit of man to cure.So instead of asking why does God allow such things to exist ask why do we allow them to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kneemos wrote: »
    God can't interfere,if he did people would say well why did he allow my business to fail,why did my kid break her leg or why the miserable summer?
    Basically blamed for everything.

Most of the ills of the world are within the wit of man to cure.So instead of asking why does God allow such things to exist ask why do we allow them to continue.

Handy that, like me sending a forest fire to your neighbourhood which sets you and your friend on fire, then saying I am sorry I only have enough juice in my fire extinguisher to put one of you out, so off you go on your way, its fairer if I don't interefere, if only you had been cleverer and worn anti fire suits.
    by the way if you dont want this fire for all eternity you need to praise me as you were born evil and need to redeem yourself by telling everyone how I am such a nice bloke and living the life i have thought u to live as humans need me for a moral code as ye are too stupid to figure out to be nice otherwise.

• Advertisement

Handy that, like me sending a forest fire to your neighbourhood which sets you and your friend on fire, then saying I am sorry I only have enough juice in my fire extinguisher to put one of you out, so off you go on your way, its fairer if I don't interefere, if only you had been cleverer and worn anti fire suits.
    by the way if you dont want this fire for all eternity you need to praise me as you were born evil and need to redeem yourself by telling everyone how I am such a nice bloke and living the life i have thought u to live as humans need me for a moral code as ye are too stupid to figure out to be nice otherwise.

Nothing like that.

Advertisement