Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you found out God existed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

kneemos wrote: »
    God can't interfere,if he did people would say well why did he allow my business to fail,why did my kid break her leg or why the miserable summer?
    Basically blamed for everything.

Most of the ills of the world are within the wit of man to cure.So instead of asking why does God allow such things to exist ask why do we allow them to continue.

I know a 5 year old who will die soon from a disease, pass us on that cure please horse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I know a 5 year old who will die soon from a disease, pass us on that cure please horse

Most I said .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Just pretend you wake up tomorrow morning to find out that God has sent a messenger to the word preching his message. His message is basically telling you to be a good Catholic(not perfect) in order to get into heaven. Your proof that this person is telling you the truth is they can tell you exactly what your loved ones who are in heaven are like and he can preform miracles.
    Would you change to being a better Catholic? Or would you carry on in your sinful ways?

I would burn that thing with fire, that god stuff had brought us nothing but trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Miley30

Send messenger in the direction of Stephen Fry, let him deal with it.

I bet he says his prayers every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Miley30 wrote: »
    I bet he says his prayers every night.

to someone who has decreed he is evil for being queer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Check Twitter to see if it's trending Worldwide.

Then I'd do nothing. My daily life isn't based on the existence or non-existence of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd be the most surprised I've ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

well considering we have a highway to hell and only a stairway to heaven, with those expected traffic volumes one messenger is not going to make any difference

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If god did exist and needed lowly humans to worship him he'd be a fairly pathetic deity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Just pretend you wake up tomorrow morning to find out that God has sent a messenger to the word preching his message. His message is basically telling you to be a good Catholic(not perfect) in order to get into heaven. Your proof that this person is telling you the truth is they can tell you exactly what your loved ones who are in heaven are like and he can preform miracles.
    Would you change to being a better Catholic? Or would you carry on in your sinful ways?

Did he not try that before? a couple of thousand years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The first question I would ask God is;
    "Does it get confusing filtering the real requests when people shout your name from when people shout your name in a pre orgasmic state?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

God can't interfere,if he did people would say well why did he allow my business to fail,why did my kid break her leg or why the miserable summer?

Well why do people pray for him to intervene then? What about all those people who went to Lourdes and apparently had miraculous cures? Are you saying it was medical treatment that cured them?

At the end of the day, if he can't interfere then he's not much use, is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Carry on as before.

Most I said .

The majority of people die from disease, how is it within the "wit" of man to cure this?

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index2.html

The majority of people die from disease, how is it within the "wit" of man to cure this?

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index2.html

Have to die from something.

Have to die from something.

Yup

And it is within this "gods" power to make that a fast, painless process. Instead he allows diseases like cancer to eat a child's body alive and for that child to die in agony because he is a loving "god" :rolleyes:

Yup

And it is within this "gods" power to make that a fast, painless process. Instead he allows diseases like cancer to eat a child's body alive and for that child to die in agony because he is a loving "god" :rolleyes:

I think it is time to stop feeding the troll, next you will be telling me we have to treat people who believe in the tooth fairy seriously.

Yup

I postulated that if he interfered he would have to interfere with all mans mishaps.
    Children do die of cancer,they die in droves everyday across the developing world of even simple diseases,all kinds of unimaginable stuff happens.
    No idea why it is this way.If you create life it's going to have good and bad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Why Catholic? Why should anybody worship it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I wouldnt do anything until we got an apology

• Advertisement

I wouldnt do anything until we got an apology

would you accept one under any circumstance from such a c*nt?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If I were an atheist, I'd say the "prayer" from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, when I'd see Him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

would you accept one under any circumstance from such a c*nt?

It would certainly need to be an exceptional apology

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I postulated that if he interfered he would have to interfere with all mans mishaps.
    Children do die of cancer,they die in droves everyday across the developing world of even simple diseases,all kinds of unimaginable stuff happens.
    No idea why it is this way.If you create life it's going to have good and bad I suppose.

Why would any interference be required?
    The question that was asked was why, assuming god created the world, he created it containing cancer, parasites and all manners of contagious and congenital diseases in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I'd get through to His manager and book Him for the full day at the Dingle Regatta and Pattern Day in Knocknagoshel ........ both on the 15th of August.

Bi-location should be no problem for Him.

I wonder if He charges double?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Shenshen wrote: »
    Why would any interference be required?
    The question that was asked was why, assuming god created the world, he created it containing cancer, parasites and all manners of contagious and congenital diseases in the first place?

Not necessarily. If a God created life, if it created humans and animals and bacteria etc., it would have created them to live. Cancer is developed by our cells mutilating, and these mutilated cells multiplying out of control. It's not really something created, per say. It's just a fault of our bodies. God would not really have had to create cancer for it to exist.

It is preached that the reason it doesn't interfere is because free will is the ultimate goal. Cancer wasn't really an issue up until the last 100/200 years. This means that it has most likely been caused by our environment and ways of life. Cancer treatments are progressing rapidly, and eventually it is highly possible that all forms of cancer will be cured. This demonstrates a circle, the will to live in a way that causes illness and the will to cure it. This is what many religions preach.

Another commonly asked question is why a God would permit poverty and disease amongst those in the 3rd world. The answer is the same really, we DO have the power to change it, but the greed of the wealthy overpowers the need of the poor. Sad reality of life, but demonstrates free will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

I would bring him for a pint or a dozen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Tell him he's a total sadistic bollix...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I'd mostly be asking why some of the rules he wanted people to follow (heterosexual behaviour only, no sex before marriage, etc.) were so narrow-minded and unfair.

If I could get a decent answer* to this, I'd be prepared to consider changing my ways.

*Except there is no decent answer, only bad ones. So sadly, I don't think it would have any impact on me at all. I'd go on trying to be good to people as much as I could, and if that wasn't good enough, then I'd have to make do in whatever afterlife with comes all the other fundamentally decent people whose actions and preferences sometimes strayed outside the lines of Catholicism.

I would be disappointed by a deity who truly had such uncharitable and unkind views, so it's no surprise he'd be disappointed with me in turn.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I'd mostly be asking why some of the rules he wanted people to follow (heterosexual behaviour only, no sex before marriage, etc.) were so narrow-minded and unfair.

If he is so anti-gay why the phuk did he make so many of them? More of His sadistic "pulling-wings-off-flies" carry on.

He's a very hard Guy to warm to....shows classic psychopath tendencies....

Advertisement