Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Aldo trying to get himself fired?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Davei141 wrote: »
    Rousey is the UFC golden child

Was just thinking about this. Rousey being the golden child and someone else described McGregor as the golden boy or something to that effect. Fair to say that the 2 of them are UFC's top draws and the golden children so to speak.

Given that Aldo has been described (quite justifiably) as the greatest featherweight MMA fighter of all time, why is it that he never got the golden child status? How much of this is down to factors under Aldo control and how much of it is down to factors outside of his control?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Was just thinking about this. Rousey being the golden child and someone else described McGregor as the golden boy or something to that effect. Fair to say that the 2 of them are UFC's top draws and the golden children so to speak.

Given that Aldo has been described (quite justifiably) as the greatest featherweight MMA fighter of all time, why is it that he never got the golden child status? How much of this is down to factors under Aldo control and how much of it is down to factors outside of his control?

It is pretty much down to being who he is, a humble family man who is never going to leave his hometown. Contrast that with Rousey & Conor everything they do is the maximise earning potential no matter what, Aldo just wants to fight. The Brazilians love him for it but the Brazilians don't buy PPV's which is a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It is pretty much down to being who he is, a humble family man who is never going to leave his hometown. Contrast that with Rousey & Conor everything they do is the maximise earning potential no matter what, Aldo just wants to fight. The Brazilians love him for it but the Brazilians don't buy PPV's which is a big problem.

The Brazilians love him because he’s Brazilian.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The Brazilians love him because he’s Brazilian.

Just like the Irish fans then.

Just like the Irish fans then.

Totally agree. It’s about supporting their own and very little to do with the myth you were attempting to create around why they love Aldo.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. It’s about supporting their own and very little to do with the myth you were attempting to create around why they love Aldo.

Come on do you disagree with anything i have said? If Aldo was an Irish world champ unbeaten in 10 years, didn't leave his hometown or his roots, big family man and not really a smack talker he would be treated like an absolute god here. Literally zero reason to not like him if he was Irish. Your issue is Conor & the UFC don't like him so you don't like him.

Come on do you disagree with anything i have said? If Aldo was an Irish world champ unbeaten in 10 years, didn't leave his hometown or his roots, big family man and not really a smack talker he would be treated like an absolute god here. Literally zero reason to not like him if he was Irish. Your issue is Conor & the UFC don't like him so you don't like him.

If Jose was the exact same person/record etc and was Irish the vast majority of Brazilian fans wouldn’t choose him over a Brazilian.

I was pointing out that in the humble, family man tripe mythology you were trying to build to be the reason why the Brazilian public like him, over the sell outs Conor and Ronda, you glaringly (and I think purposely) neglected to include the main driver which is his nationality (and initially the fact that he’s winning fights).

There are also several things that I wouldn’t like about Aldo if he was Irish, you really have him on a pedestal. BTW I have things I don’t like about Conor but support him so it would likely be the same for Jose if he was Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Have to laugh at some defending Aldo, the guy has lost the plot.. he compares everything to TV shows, no one else find that weird? As well as all the stuff posted at the start of this thread.

I think he has a lot of injuries that have been kept hush hush, he's been around a long time and abused his body a long time, and I do honestly believe he has a fear of losing face if McGregor does beat him because of the disrespect he feels he's been shown, for Dana to come out and say that he bruised an old injury - you cant just dismiss that as a rumour.

Though after Danas rant on Twitter last night who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

You can't believe a word Dana says, he's a serial liar when he opens his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Business appreciates it's biggest earners, shocker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They have the same rules for several other sports so they clearly have a way of testing it.
    That's completely incorrect.
    The WADA prohibited list is a list of substances and methods that are banned. It’s not a list of items that are banned that we have a test for.
    For years there was no test for EPO, and certain designer steroids. I’d hazard a guess that there are still a number of items that are banned with no way of testing for them.
    I’m sure a lot of stuff they test for has a natural level in the human system and you get done for being over it, as it’s a sign that you’re using a PED, but they don’t release that information to the public.
    Of course there a lot of the stuff has natural levels, (testosterone, EPO, Growth Hormone, Adrenaline, etc). But any threshold limits they set are openly available, they have to be, that’s how the code works.
    They also set limits for non-natural substances like cannabis too btw.

Regarding plastics, Contador tested positive for elevated levels of plastic in his urine. Which suggested blood doping, but they could do little with that info alone as WADA had no recognised test or limit at the time.
    They could test a fighter after a fight, and it will show high levels of plastic if he used an IV, but without a baseline from that fighter or a threshold level its useless.

If Jose was the exact same person/record etc and was Irish the vast majority of Brazilian fans wouldn’t choose him over a Brazilian.

I was pointing out that in the humble, family man tripe mythology you were trying to build to be the reason why the Brazilian public like him, over the sell outs Conor and Ronda, you glaringly (and I think purposely) neglected to include the main driver which is his nationality (and initially the fact that he’s winning fights).

There are also several things that I wouldn’t like about Aldo if he was Irish, you really have him on a pedestal. BTW I have things I don’t like about Conor but support him so it would likely be the same for Jose if he was Irish.

Eh your first paragraph i'm not sure what point you are making? My point is he is the perfect fighter for a nationalistic fanbase. Not that Brazilians would choose him over a Brazilian if he was Irish. :confused:

On the bolded bit you think there would be a Conor McGregor thread if he was losing and wasn't Irish? Would he heck he would Michael Bisping Mk2. I put him on a pedestal while you have a weird hatred of the guy because he doesn't lick the UFC's hole. I guess it evens itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

2 weeks out from a huge payday he idiotically has training partners throwing spinning kicks at him and gets injured

Sparring 2 weeks out from a fight is not unusual at all and injuries can happen even with low impact thrown, If this had happened 3-4 weeks out he still would have been out of the fight.

Conor was due to fight me years ago and got injured about 3 days out and this happens, Did he pussy out? Certainly not.

I look at Conor as a friend and a brilliant fighter who i support but his new fanboy fans are an embarrassment, When you see them going on about Aldo been a pussy and coward etc it makes me really agitated, Aldo is a machine and Conor knows that and guaranteed he respects him too.

He is playing the game and him talking things up and sometimes been mouthy etc earns him money and is smart, Gombeens repeating it like fact are getting nothing for it and are an embarrassment to real MMA fans in Ireland

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cowzerp wrote: »
    He is playing the game and him talking things up and sometimes been mouthy etc earns him money and is smart, Gombeens repeating it like fact are getting nothing for it and are an embarrassment to real MMA fans in Ireland
    ^100% This

At the start, we all laughed at the likes of Brimage and Porrier when they fell for his wind ups. "Slagging" is very Irish thing, and most didn't seem to have a clue what was happening.
    But lately I'm baffled by Irish fans who appear completely unable to differentiate between "what Conor says" and "what Conor actually thinks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Sparring 2 weeks out from a fight is not unusual at all and injuries can happen even with low impact thrown, If this had happened 3-4 weeks out he still would have been out of the fight.

Conor was due to fight me years ago and got injured about 3 days out and this happens, Did he pussy out? Certainly not.

I look at Conor as a friend and a brilliant fighter who i support but his new fanboy fans are an embarrassment, When you see them going on about Aldo been a pussy and coward etc it makes me really agitated, Aldo is a machine and Conor knows that and guaranteed he respects him too.

It reminds me of a piece of advice Gorgeous George gave to a young Cassius Clay.

"A lot of people will pay to see someone shut your mouth. So keep on bragging, keep on sassing and always be outrageous."

To be fair though, the same people you are complaining about are the ones paying money to UFC in large numbers now (and these are people who weren't interested in paying before) and thus lining Conor's pockets. In order for the game to work and earn him money, people have to believe what he's saying and they will then invest. Fact of it is, some of those who believe it will go on message forums and repeat it.

Same thing happened a few years back with Leinster rugby. The whole scene just exploded where it went from being smaller crowds of hardcore rugby people to larger crowds dominated by people who jumped on the bandwagon. This obviously frustrated the lifelong rugby people who saw the new supporters as knowing nothing about the sport but the net result was more money for Leinster which allowed them to attract good foreign players and hold onto their homegrown players (by being able to pay them better).

Basically, to earn big money, a sports organisation has to appeal to the masses. When the masses get involved, you can expect to hear a fair bit of nonsense being talked.

I 100% welcome new fans but we need to let it be known this isn't the norm for Irish MMA, irish MMA fans are very well up on the art imo.

These are bandwagon fan's and not MMA or even UFC fans, Maybe some will become MMA fans in time but many will disappear when they get bored or if Conor loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

The way I see it, Conor gets a lot of leeway to say what he wants about Aldo because eventually he's going to be in a cage with him and if Conor doesn't live up to his talk, it's his face and ego that's going to take a battering.

That lad on the sidelines calling Aldo a coward? Yeah, he'd change his tune if he had to fight him himself.

I 100% welcome new fans but we need to let it be known this isn't the norm for Irish MMA, irish MMA fans are very well up on the art imo.

These are bandwagon fan's and not MMA or even UFC fans, Maybe some will become MMA fans in time but many will disappear when they get bored or if Conor loses.

I completely agree that the views you are talking about are not representative of the views of Irish MMA fans. It happens in every sport though but as you say, people will either become informed fans or eventually disappear so at least it's a temporary annoyance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Exactly this, these are the same fans that will go to the 6 nations game when Ireland are about to win the grand slam etc. They are there for an event, not there for the event. In my home town of about 5,000 a group of 6 went over to the fights, not one of them could name another Irish fighter bar Conor, What do you think of cathal? Who? How about paddy? I've never seen him on tv??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Exactly this, these are the same fans that will go to the 6 nations game when Ireland are about to win the grand slam etc. They are there for an event, not there for the event. In my home town of about 5,000 a group of 6 went over to the fights, not one of them could name another Irish fighter bar Conor, What do you think of cathal? Who? How about paddy? I've never seen him on tv??

Not all new fans are like that, though. Some do genuinely get into the sport, even if McGregor is their first exposure to it.

This must take the 2015 award for the post with the most strawman arguments.

Good job at fishing for thanks by attempting to link me to people who are calling Aldo a pussy/coward when I’ve never said that!

Also, did I say sparring two weeks out shouldn’t happen? I said that in a situation where you spent years moaning about being underpaid it is stupid two weeks out from your massive payday that you have a guy you don’t really know throwing spinning kicks at you. Yes, injuries can happen at low impact but from all reports this injury didn’t come from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

This must take the 2015 award for the post with the most strawman arguments.

Good job at fishing for thanks by attempting to link me to people who are calling Aldo a pussy/coward when I’ve never said that!

Also, did I say sparring two weeks out shouldn’t happen? I said that in a situation where you spent years moaning about being underpaid it is stupid two weeks out from your massive payday that you have a guy you don’t really know throwing spinning kicks at you. Yes, injuries can happen at low impact but from all reports this injury didn’t come from that.

Thats cowzer for ya, well known for his fishing for likes on boards:rolleyes:

Eh your first paragraph i'm not sure what point you are making? My point is he is the perfect fighter for a nationalistic fanbase. Not that Brazilians would choose him over a Brazilian if he was Irish. :confused:

On the bolded bit you think there would be a Conor McGregor thread if he was losing and wasn't Irish? Would he heck he would Michael Bisping Mk2. I put him on a pedestal while you have a weird hatred of the guy because he doesn't lick the UFC's hole. I guess it evens itself out.

Good job at changing your tune.

What you said was that Brazilians love him because he’s a humble, family man etc etc, when compared to the sell outs Ronda and Conor, you ignored the main reason why they love him is because he is Brazilian and winning. If he was cocky and arrogant and winning they’d still love him, your original rationale was total bull****.

I have rational reasons to dislike Jose as I’m sure you have the same for disliking Conor. The fact you cant see any reason why someone might dislike Aldo shows how much of deluded fanboy you are for him.

Good job at changing your tune.

What you said was that Brazilians love him because he’s a humble, family man etc etc, when compared to the sell outs Ronda and Conor, you ignored the main reason why they love him is because he is Brazilian and winning. If he was cocky and arrogant and winning they’d still love him, your original rationale was total bull****.

I have rational reasons to dislike Jose as I’m sure you have the same for disliking Conor. The fact you cant see any reason why someone might dislike Aldo shows how much of deluded fanboy you are for him.

I think the only person coming across deluded here is you, with your hatred for Aldo because the UFC doesn't like him and because he isn't a lick arse. It is flat out pathetic, sure most of your opinions regarding him wouldn't be out of place coming straight from Dana White's mouth. I'm not even a huge fan of Aldo but i seriously respect him, the fact you can't even respect the guy and call me a deluded fanboy for calling out your nonsense is weird.

No doubt this time last year you didn't hate Aldo. "Rational reasons" yeah we get it hes a whinger, hes stupid, he won't do anything, won't toe the UFC party line. Yeah very rational.

What is going on here!

I personally have a lot of respect for both McGregor and Aldo, both are exceptional fighters and I am really looking forward to seeing them fight, it's gonna be epic!

There is no doubt that McGregor is the UFC's main draw at the moment (along with Ronda Rousey). He attracts a mainstream interest to the sport that very few before him have been able to do. There's a number of factors for this which we are all aware of (personality, attitude, ability to talk a great game, has backed up his talk, etc). I personally like that side of things, I enjoy the stuff Conor comes out with and find it very entertaining. I know there's others who are not interested in that part of it and just want to watch the fights so each to their own.

Aldo is a completely different person than McGregor with a very different personality and would probably never have the same mainstream appeal no matter what he does. Despite that, I think the guy could probably do more to promote himself and the UFC and would benefit financially as a result. There's a lot of things that he himself could do (but is unwilling to do) that would sort out his complaints directed at the UFC regarding money. Does any of that make me dislike the guy? No, I have a lot of respect for the way he chooses to live his life (staying in his hometown, humble nature, strong family values, etc). However, I think it's a case of not being able to have it both ways though.

In terms of Aldo's injury withdrawals, 5 just seems like a lot. Either he has been extremely unfortunate, is badly breaking down due to wear and tear, or there's something more than meets the eye. I would be interested to hear what people think on this. Am I crazy for thinking 5 injury withdrawals is a bit odd?

In terms of Aldo's injury withdrawals, 5 just seems like a lot. Either he has been extremely unfortunate, is badly breaking down due to wear and tear, or there's something more than meets the eye. I would be interested to hear what people think on this. Am I crazy for thinking 5 injury withdrawals is a bit odd?

Some people are more injury prone than others, 5 times in 10 years isn't as bad as it is made out, He actually has been as if not not more active than the other champions with 2 fights a year in that period

I've took part in 2 fights while ill and 1 while injured and 2 of them went badly due to the problems, now as UFC champion it's far more serious getting in there not close to 100%

Also everyone is going on about Aldo's number of pullouts, where is the figures on all the other fighters pull outs over their last 10 years fighting

I think the only person coming across deluded here is you, with your hatred for Aldo because the UFC doesn't like him and because he isn't a lick arse. It is flat out pathetic, sure most of your opinions regarding him wouldn't be out of place coming straight from Dana White's mouth. I'm not even a huge fan of Aldo but i seriously respect him, the fact you can't even respect the guy and call me a deluded fanboy for calling out your nonsense is weird.

No doubt this time last year you didn't hate Aldo. "Rational reasons" yeah we get it hes a whinger, hes stupid, he won't do anything, won't toe the UFC party line. Yeah very rational.

Disagreeing or questioning how someone approaches a situation isn’t hatred. I’ve disagreed with plenty of things that McGregor and the UFC have done over the years, does that mean I hate them too? I’m just one big ball of hate or maybe you just really enjoy hyperbole!

I loved Aldo during the WEC days but since he’s joined the UFC I feel he’s lost his killer instinct (for whatever reason) but I still respect him as a fighter. On the other hand over the years how he conducts himself outside the cage has worn away the respect I have for him as a person.

I’m not sure why you have such a hump with the UFC and jump on anything/anyone that’s speaking out against them.

• Advertisement

Also everyone is going on about Aldo's number of pullouts, where is the figures on all the other fighters pull outs over their last 10 years fighting

Googled it and this came up:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/7/8907669/mma-ufc-news-list-of-fighters-who-pull-out-of-the-most-fights

Aldo has 6 altogether including 1 in WEC. There's lads there with way more that have gone un-noticed! John Jones has 5, remember 1 or 2 but didn't think there were 5!

Advertisement