Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Aldo trying to get himself fired?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

he spoke out about how much money he lost in the rebok deal as rebok aint sponsoring him, his jacket used to be covered in sponsers logos.

And no aldo is definitely not in the same boat ffs. One is the undefeated champ and the other is a cutman ffs

alright calm yourself, i was only suggesting that duran is one of the more recognisable faces in ufc with im sure a fair bit of support behind him. the principles behind the decision may still be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

nc19 wrote: »
    Misunderstood post of the year goes to....

My post was in reference to his 'injury' not the IV issue

Thanks for your input though

Of course i know you were referencing his injury. It is just ridiculous to say Dana White wouldn't lie.
    Old Perry wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/StitchDuran/status/623636360746827776

this posted on twitter a while ago. stitch duran ufcs redident cutman, fired for speaking out about reebok deal. surely this means aldo will be placed in the same boat? although im not sure what exactly duran has said.

Come on cutman vs their current number 1 p4p champ. Just another scumbag move from the UFC, people have some neck to criticise somebody standing up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Davei141 wrote: »
    Of course i know you were referencing his injury. It is just ridiculous to say Dana White wouldn't lie.

Come on cutman vs their current number 1 p4p champ. Just another scumbag move from the UFC, people have some neck to criticise somebody standing up to them.

ah yeah i understand the difference between aldo and duran. Thats clear to al. it was a question more than a statement.

it would seem though that they couldve showed leniancy given hes not the only one makin himself heard (i still havin got a chance to see what he actually said though). a bit a scumbag move alright, ufc trying to make an example and get all there pawns back in line.

Old Perry wrote: »
    ah yeah i understand the difference between aldo and duran. Thats clear to al. it was a question more than a statement.

it would seem though that they couldve showed leniancy given hes not the only one makin himself heard (i still havin got a chance to see what he actually said though). a bit a scumbag move alright, ufc trying to make an example and get all there pawns back in line.

I'd say it was the fact a cutman is easily expendable and he was an easy target to send a message. Not going to lose any money cutting him, just bad PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

His IV comments are just what most fighters are thinking, they're just too scared of the UFC to say it publicly.

It's USADA who are imposing the IV ban, not UFC. Granted UFC have upped their game recently in being fully compliant with USADA rules but surely that's a good thing for the sport. Effectively it is USADA that Aldo is speaking out against, he dared the USADA ninjas to come and catch him. They are really not the people to be p*ssing off, refer to their case against Lance Armstrong for evidence of that. I hope for Aldo's sake that the rumours of dodging test, etc are not true because he is treading dangerous waters by coming out with this stuff.
    Conor probably has the same opinion on the ban but hes the good company man at the moment.

A lot of fighters have said that the ban is stupid and dangerous. As far as I am aware, Aldo is the first to come out and say that he will defy the ban and use IVs anyway.

The key point here is that if Aldo fights Conor in Dec/Jan and Conor re-hydrates in line with the rules (no IVs) and Aldo follows through with what he is saying and defies the rules, that gives Aldo an unfair advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's the potential ramifications for Aldo breaking the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

You've just regurgitated the UFC version of events, Bruised or broken ribs makes no difference, I have had both and the bruised ribs were the same pain and lasted longer than the fractured rib, Aldo was screwed over and it is bull****

He is the most dominant champion in the UFC and he is right about the IV and the Reebok deal which is a slap in the face to any fighters who had decent sponsorship deals off anyone else

The Aldo v Conor fight will happen and probably a rematch too, stop buying the propaganda sales pitch bull, If aldo was more ppv popular Dana wouldn't say boo, he doesn't want a champ who doesn't bring in the big PPV numbers and that explains everything
    Hazys wrote: »
    I don't know why so many people are giving such benefit of doubt to Aldo, he's had a lot of sketchy behavior lately and its all too much smoke for one person.
    • Pulling out of UFC 189
    • Sending out X-Rays of an old injury
    • Dropping out of 4 previous title fights
    • The drug testing fiasco
    • Openly taunting the UFC and USADA by saying he will purposely ignore the new drug testing laws and use IVs anyway
    • Calling Irish people drunks
    • Insulting the Reebok deal

If Aldo had his way, he'd be doing a Mayweather, picking and choosing who he gets to fight, picking the rules he wants to obey and ignore. As much faults as the UFC has, its 100x better than how boxing is run. Boxing is on a downward spiral because of this while MMA is on the way up because of the UFC. UFC is a necessary evil for MMA.

Aldo constantly tries to undermine the UFC. If Aldo was anybody else, he'd be told to kick rocks by now. Him saying he's going to use IVs no matter what is the height of obnoxiousness. I agree the rule is silly as fighters should be allowed to re-hydrate as safely as possible but he's basically saying he's going to cheat and gain an unfair advantage over the opponents who are following the rules as he knows the UFC are not going to cancel the fight as there is too much money riding on it.

Could you imagine Lionel Messi saying he's going to ignore FIFA's drug policy because what are they going to do stop him from playing as he makes too much money for FIFA?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

darced wrote: »

We don't but you can't just assume they will.

Aldo has come out and said he won't be playing by the rules on this one, which I think is a stupid thing to say on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

They can test their blood for phthlate plasticizers. This test is actually used to detect some forms of doping, and I think one of the reasons they want to remove IV rehydration is that it cuts out one more excuse someone can have for having phthlate plasticizers in their system.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Davei141 wrote:

Really? Because you made no reference to the injury when responding to my post you only referenced the IV issue.

Anyway..........

nc19 wrote: »
    Really? Because you made no reference to the injury when responding to my post you only referenced the IV issue.

Anyway..........

It was a separate general point hence the different paragraph, hardly rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

50ml of fluid is a pretty small amount. It's about a fifth of a cup. It's unlikely that taking 50ml will increase the amount of plasticisers in your blood much more than the amount you would have from the environment anyway. They are looking for a big spike in the plasticiser levels.

As for a glass bottle, it still has to go through a plastic line before going into the vein.

The main issue I would have is that it is mainly a test for blood doping, which I don't think is a big thing in MMA. (Though that is just a hunch.) I suppose it's because they want to have uniform testing across all sports.

It's USADA who are imposing the IV ban, not UFC. Granted UFC have upped their game recently in being fully compliant with USADA rules but surely that's a good thing for the sport. Effectively it is USADA that Aldo is speaking out against, he dared the USADA ninjas to come and catch him. They are really not the people to be p*ssing off, refer to their case against Lance Armstrong for evidence of that. I hope for Aldo's sake that the rumours of dodging test, etc are not true because he is treading dangerous waters by coming out with this stuff.

UFC brought in USADA so criticising them is criticising the UFC. That's like saying giving out about the Reebok deal and is only giving out about Reebok and not the UFC.

A lot of fighters have said that the ban is stupid and dangerous. As far as I am aware, Aldo is the first to come out and say that he will defy the ban and use IVs anyway.

The key point here is that if Aldo fights Conor in Dec/Jan and Conor re-hydrates in line with the rules (no IVs) and Aldo follows through with what he is saying and defies the rules, that gives Aldo an unfair advantage.

He is making a pretty forceful point. But i am sure most people know this and are intentionally ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He didn't sign up to a iv ban, and he has stayed in brasil since they madde it a rule....

Are you trying to say that your employer couldn’t bring in a new rule for the office unless you agree to it?

By having a contract with the UFC he’s signed up to the IV ban (I’m sure the contract includes that they can increase/change testing on their fighters) and definitely by accepting his next fight he’ll be signing up to it.

.ak wrote: »
    What's the potential ramifications for Aldo breaking the ban?

Presume it'll be treated the same way as PEDs which results in a 2 year ban, disqualification the result of the bout, and forfeiture of title, ranking, and purse or other compensation.

USADA have this ban for other sports so it’s stupid to think that they don’t have a way to test for it. If Aldo is stupid enough to try to ignore the new rules he deserves what he gets. From what I’ve seen from him he’s all talk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that your employer couldn’t bring in a new rule for the office unless you agree to it?

By having a contract with the UFC he’s signed up to the IV ban (I’m sure the contract includes that they can increase/change testing on their fighters) and definitely by accepting his next fight he’ll be signing up to it.

he's the champion so the ufc add 1 fight to his contract every time he wins and remains champion, are you saying that he signed up to a rolling contract when he first signed up? I'm saying the fighters are independent contractors ie they are their own employers. The ufc can't have it both ways, they are independent when it suits us but our fighters when it also suits us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't get where Aldo acting as a spoiled brat is seen as some as him acting as a champion for fighter's rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

cowzerp wrote: »
    You've just regurgitated the UFC version of events, Bruised or broken ribs makes no difference, I have had both and the bruised ribs were the same pain and lasted longer than the fractured rib, Aldo was screwed over and it is bull****

He is the most dominant champion in the UFC and he is right about the IV and the Reebok deal which is a slap in the face to any fighters who had decent sponsorship deals off anyone else

The Aldo v Conor fight will happen and probably a rematch too, stop buying the propaganda sales pitch bull, If aldo was more ppv popular Dana wouldn't say boo, he doesn't want a champ who doesn't bring in the big PPV numbers and that explains everything

Like is said its a lot of smoke for one person. All of its probably not true but some of it probably is.

His comments on IV use is bullsh1t. You follow the rules no matter whether you agree with them or not, you don't cheat.

Like I said earlier too, the UFC is a necessary evil for MMA, otherwise MMA would go the way of boxing where the Champions would make the rules and fights that suits them...Aldo would certainly prefer that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

the UFC will love this, turn Aldo into the bad guy set to face Conor who is now suddenly the hero

he's the champion so the ufc add 1 fight to his contract every time he wins and remains champion, are you saying that he signed up to a rolling contract when he first signed up? I'm saying the fighters are independent contractors ie they are their own employers. The ufc can't have it both ways, they are independent when it suits us but our fighters when it also suits us

He’d be on a contract or what happens as champion would have been included in the original contract he signed. If he doesn’t like it he has the choice to retire, follow the rules, or cheat and deal with the consequences (that I listed above). He hasn't said he'll refuse to fight he's said he'll cheat, it's a big difference.

It’s funny when people try to use the contractor argument, as it’s obvious they’ve never worked as contractors when they do. My client tells me the dress code that I have to follow every day and the office rules which can change at any time (actually regularly includes a drug test before I start with them). If I break what they’ve set out I get sanctioned.

JJayoo wrote: »
    the UFC will love this, turn Aldo into the bad guy set to face Conor who is now suddenly the hero

Aldo's doing it to himself but in his usual fashion he'll blame everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Going to take a lot of cash to book the Dallas stadium, betting on Aldo when he is acting the cnut to show up and fight will be a gamble.

People focusing on the IV thing because it is convenient to ignore the rest of the things he said. Just keep your mouth shut and be good little company men otherwise you are just a whinger. With fans like that is it any wonder the UFC treat its fighters with such contempt? Funny how these same fans are very quiet on the UFC flat out lying about Jose Aldo but have the neck to criticise him for saying what most fighters are thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Going to take a lot of cash to book the Dallas stadium, betting on Aldo when he is acting the cnut to show up and fight will be a gamble.

I dunno. I think 189 showed that McGregor is the draw, not Aldo. You could have him fighting Edgar and it would sell.

Also, you'd imagine the Dallas card would be heavily stacked.

So, I don't think it would be a huge gamble.

He’s moaned for years about all sorts and the only thing we’ve seen him do is drop out of fights and claim injury. Can you point to me where he’s actually done something rather than just whined?

• Advertisement

Yeah but he criticised the UFC, so hes a bum.

Advertisement