Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭HBC08

Monokne wrote: »
    That is quite a coincidence to be fair!

This was early noughties,there was good money to made in Korea at the time, lots of Irish stayed on after the 2002 world cup.Great Irish community over there and lots of lads married natives and stayed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

HBC08 wrote: »
    This was early noughties,there was good money to made in Korea at the time, lots of Irish stayed on after the 2002 world cup.Great Irish community over there and lots of lads married natives and stayed there.

What was it like living there. Where do you live now, Ireland?

What did you do there. Did you learn Korean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Just had a call from Dr Ciniks office, 6 months today since my op so they wanted to check in.

Would thoroughly recommend him. Really good service and very efficient. I went with pain free anaesthetic too because I am a wuss :) I would recommend it as it's only €250 extra and since the service itself is so cheap (2 - 2.5k) compared to getting it done here, you may as well not deal with the needles into the scalp without taking the edge off.

As noted before, this was not a procedure I was desperate for as my hairline was receded but not too drastically. But the price was so affordable and I know lads who'd had it done in Turkey and were very impressed at how little hassle it was so I said why not, I'd love to have a better hairline. :)

Very pleased with my decision.

EuHDv87WQAAl2fd?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheGambler15

Just had a call from Dr Ciniks office, 6 months today since my op so they wanted to check in.

Would thoroughly recommend him. Really good service and very efficient. I went with pain free anaesthetic too because I am a wuss :) I would recommend it as it's only €250 extra and since the service itself is so cheap (2 - 2.5k) compared to getting it done here, you may as well not deal with the needles into the scalp without taking the edge off.

As noted before, this was not a procedure I was desperate for as my hairline was receded but not too drastically. But the price was so affordable and I know lads who'd had it done in Turkey and were very impressed at how little hassle it was so I said why not, I'd love to have a better hairline. :)

Looks great. Was travel an issue for you during Covid and did you have to wait long to be given your date to do it?

I think Cinik is top of my list to do it. He is cheap but he’s good. Good reviews. I am a bit thrown off by current travel issues though. I am off work due to the pandemic so would ideally get it done before I get back in late April but unlikely to happen now.

• Advertisement

Looks great. Was travel an issue for you during Covid and did you have to wait long to be given your date to do it?

I think Cinik is top of my list to do it. He is cheap but he’s good. Good reviews. I am a bit thrown off by current travel issues though. I am off work due to the pandemic so would ideally get it done before I get back in late April but unlikely to happen now.

So my wife & kids were meant to go away in August of last year and I knew this about 9 months before. So I booked last Feb to go last August. The way timing worked out, restrictions had all been lifted by the time I went so travel was no problem. Airports were quiet other than Istanbul itself.

I have seen a lot of advertising from him on social media so I think that they have a lot of open spots at the mo, due to people not travelling. If you can get there, might be the time to go. I will say for myself, it was nice not having to rush back into the office because of working from home. Everyone knew I was getting it done but it's a bit tender for a week or so after and it looks a bit sh*t for a couple weeks. Was pleased to be at home for that.

So my wife & kids were meant to go away in August of last year and I knew this about 9 months before. So I booked last Feb to go last August. The way timing worked out, restrictions had all been lifted by the time I went so travel was no problem. Airports were quiet other than Istanbul itself.

I have seen a lot of advertising from him on social media so I think that they have a lot of open spots at the mo, due to people not travelling. If you can get there, might be the time to go. I will say for myself, it was nice not having to rush back into the office because of working from home. Everyone knew I was getting it done but it's a bit tender for a week or so after and it looks a bit sh*t for a couple weeks. Was pleased to be at home for that.

Thanks. So basically you got to pick your date with them for when you could do it? Looks a great job and you worked it perfectly.

The way things are gone now I’m not even sure a HT will pass Gardaí as a reason to travel because so many took the piss out of dental appointments. How did you contact Cinik originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭HBC08

This exact question was asked of Drew Harris on the Late Late on Fri and he said you would be liable for a fine if you said you were traveling for HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just say you are going for brain surgery. The OP is in 2 days time and if you dont get it, you will die!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

HBC08 wrote: »
    This exact question was asked of Drew Harris on the Late Late on Fri and he said you would be liable for a fine if you said you were traveling for HT.

From a mental health perspective, lots of men have committed suicide as a result of their hair loss - as sad as that sounds. It's defined as cosmetic but I've seen some very sad stories of men desperate online. I was in complete depression before I did mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

From a mental health perspective, lots of men have committed suicide as a result of their hair loss - as sad as that sounds. It's defined as cosmetic but I've seen some very sad stories of men desperate online. I was in complete depression before I did mine.

I was losing my hair (noticeably) at 25/26. As a young man, it can be very embarrassing. Very few of us want to look 40 in our 20’s. But the current Stasi like policing of airports won’t care about depression or mental health.

Excellent points and I was thinking the same regarding it being a mental health issue. Not to mind the fact it’s so much cheaper abroad so unless they plan to stop the Irish market from fleecing their own people then I’m not sure it’s something they can fine people for.

It’s not too dissimilar if someone is actually going abroad for actual dental work. It costs so much here than saying we should stay here for it really doesn’t cut it for most!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

So lads, what should I say to the bus driver then when I'm going from Ballinasloe to Dublin Airport (and on to Swords)?

Can I travel across Ireland for a hair transplant or what's a good excuse? (or maybe bus drivers don't give a ****)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

So lads, what should I say to the bus driver then when I'm going from Ballinasloe to Dublin Airport (and on to Swords)?

Can I travel across Ireland for a hair transplant or what's a good excuse? (or maybe bus drivers don't give a ****)

You're getting medical procedure. The rest of between you and your doctor.

Bus driver won’t care. It’s the cops at the airport that you need to be careful with. Tell them that you have an appointment with a consultant in Swords. Have an email ready (Print out If you can). I would not advise that you open emails on your phone.

https://www.numan.com/subscribe/hair-loss/dcbf35ce-0422-4411-9e50-80a8417774b9/product-selection

Has anyone tried the above as a solution to hair loss? It’s Numan finasteride 1mg tablets and topical spray 6% sprayable solution. I’ve obviously read the thread and how finasteride works. Is 1mg a lot? Also have no idea how the spray works if anyone knows?

I am half wary of finasteride but think I may need to give it a shot before I choose a HT. Thanks for help and opinions in advance.

Finasteride is good stuff. Does the job. Side effects are on a really small percentage of people and if you get them, you can just quit using it. Give it a go and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

https://www.numan.com/subscribe/hair-loss/dcbf35ce-0422-4411-9e50-80a8417774b9/product-selection

Has anyone tried the above as a solution to hair loss? It’s Numan finasteride 1mg tablets and topical spray 6% sprayable solution. I’ve obviously read the thread and how finasteride works. Is 1mg a lot? Also have no idea how the spray works if anyone knows?

I am half wary of finasteride but think I may need to give it a shot before I choose a HT. Thanks for help and opinions in advance.

IMHO better to go with the actual propecia rather than generic fin.

Same exact ingredient though. Just finasteride under another name.

Thanks lads. Is 1mg a lot per tab? I’ve read some lads say they cut tabs in quarters etc?

And what about the topical solution spray - would that be beneficial?

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. Is 1mg a lot per tab? I’ve read some lads say they cut tabs in quarters etc?

There are studies out there around this. I may have linked them earlier, I'll try find them later to post them again. Basically, studies suggest as little as 0.05mg/day will have a similar effect to 1mg/day. Topical finasteride has shown promise in reducing scalp dht without dropping systemic dht levels by the same amount - this is controversial and the prevailing opinion is that if you wait long enough the levels will become the same. There are 2 studies actually taking place on topical fin at the moment.
    In my opinion you will see a trend towards lower dosages and topical fin in the coming years to reduce side effect profiles, and other topical solutions are coming in to the market soon (Breezula).

There were limited topical options at the moment - Minoxidilmax is approved for use in India but the website doesn't inspire confidence

It's the 5mg tablets that people cut into quarters, so take 1.25mg per day. 1mg will be fine.

Not sure about the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone gone through webdoctor for finasteride?

I am hitting 40 this year, not had any real hair loss before,always had a bit of a widows peak (then again so does my dad and he is 70 with a full head of hair).
    Other half shaved my head and it now looks like I am thinning a bit at the very top and at temples.
    Not noticeable really as I am pretty fair.
    But I guess better to start something like this now?

I have been using alpecin for maybe 5 years.

gmisk wrote: »
    Has anyone gone through webdoctor for finasteride?

I am hitting 40 this year, not had any real hair loss before,always had a bit of a widows peak (then again so does my dad and he is 70 with a full head of hair).
    Other half shaved my head and it now looks like I am thinning a bit at the very top and at temples.
    Not noticeable really as I am pretty fair.
    But I guess better to start something like this now?

I have been using alpecin for maybe 5 years.

Honestly if you're happily married and your wife doesn't mind, I wouldn't bother with fin. You're going to take a hit to your libido which would bother me more than losing my hair at that age.

Honestly if you're happily married and your wife doesn't mind, I wouldn't bother with fin. You're going to take a hit to your libido which would bother me more than losing my hair at that age.
    Ah ok thanks for that!
    I have ordered minoxidl I might go with that as a first step then.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

Ah ok thanks for that!
    I have ordered minoxidl I might go with that as a first step then.
    The possible side effects were pretty frightening.

Just on the Fin. I have had no libido issues :D

Just on the Fin. I have had no libido issues :D
    Glad to hear it....I think....lol...

Just maybe a bit extreme for me at the minute.

Literally just noticed some light loss tbh. My other half thinks it could be due to fact I am wearing a headset for work all day as well as a hat anytime I go out as it is freezing!....so might just keep an eye for next few weeks.

Really appreciate the help and advice this is an excellent thread.

Glad to hear it....I think....lol...

Just maybe a bit extreme for me at the minute.

Literally just noticed some light loss tbh. My other half thinks it could be due to fact I am wearing a headset for work all day as well as a hat anytime I go out as it is freezing!....so might just keep an eye for next few weeks.

Really appreciate the help and advice this is an excellent thread.

Regaine would do no harm.

Regaine would do no harm.
    Is that the same as minoxidl?
    I have ordered 6 months of that so will give it a go

• Advertisement

Is that the same as minoxidl?
    I have ordered 6 months of that so will give it a go

Yes, same thing. Use the foam, easier to manage.

Advertisement