Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Monokne wrote: »

I did go on my own and I was happy to have done so. They took very good care of me and for me, when I am in a bit of discomfort like I was afterward, I'd rather be left alone.

I would note that I am a fairly confident traveller and have travelled on my own a good few times. But this is easy really. They literally pick you up at the airport and from that point there's nowhere you have to go that you aren't picked up and dropped back. The hotels they use are very central so there's loads of restaurants and a few local shops within 5 minutes of you. I stocked the hotel room up with bread and crisps and junk just in case I wanted to eat and I didn't want to be going out, plus the hotel did room service which was very nice, and cheap enough (6 or 7 quid for a burger & chips).

If there are any specifics you want to know or any detail you'd like, shoot me a PM and I'll fill you in. :)

may have missed it but when did you get it doneman? Looks a very good job tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Thanks man. :)

August 13th, so just over a month ago. Have had the shock loss now so hoping to start getting some regrowth by Christmas!

Thanks man. :)

August 13th, so just over a month ago. Have had the shock loss now so hoping to start getting some regrowth by Christmas!

your post op pic looks very good, wouldn't be expecting a whole pile by xmas though.

Oh no I know, I just mean I'm hoping to get the first few sprouts beginning to show then. I believe 90-120 days is when the regrowth typically starts to kick in.

i was near 9months before it really kicked in, everybody is different though. Best of luck .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

The hairline on some of the transplants is something which I have concerns about. Without calling out any particular places, it seems like some cheaper options go with quite an unnatural straight across hairline which is probably more suited to a latino guy rather than an Irish person. Obviously it’s dependent on the person but it’s something I’d be definitely looking at when considering a surgeon.

some places also go for too deep of a horseshoe pattern, can all be discussed with your surgeon beforehand but i would say dont be overly conservative.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ransplant.html

I think it still looks terrible major lack of density behind hairline, that doc is who a lot of celebs in uk go to and he really has some sub-par work yet the celebs seem happy, i would be far from happy with that result.

Yeah I would not imagine many places just draw the hairline and don't consult with you about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

IMO lack of density behind the hairline could simply be down to further hairloss in the 12 months between surgery and after pictures. It is a good warning to why it is important to either be on Fin or have your hairloss stabilized before getting a transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

IMO lack of density behind the hairline could simply be down to further hairloss in the 12 months between surgery and after pictures. It is a good warning to why it is important to either be on Fin or have your hairloss stabilized before getting a transplant.

That's exactly what will happen to a person balding at the temples and who has a receding hairline. The hairline can be restored but without the Native hair loss being stabilised, a gap will open up between the the transplanted hair at the hairline and the crown. It will look worse over time.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what will happen to a person balding at the temples and who has a receding hairline. The hairline can be restored but without the Native hair loss being stabilised, a gap will open up between the the transplanted hair at the hairline and the crown. It will look worse over time.

It is for this reason I am inclined to use finasteride going forward having just had mine done. Would not be a great look to have a full head at the front and then patchy behind.

Yeah I would not imagine many places just draw the hairline and don't consult with you about it.

From looking at pics online, it seems like this does happen in a lot of cases. It is quite difficult to tell where your own hairline was/should be. People would likely place reliance on the surgeon to know what’s best. It’s something for people to consider anyway, maybe best to bring a partner or friend and ask for their honest opinion. Also consider the hairline you used to have, and just try to make sure it’s not straight across. Unless you want to look like Eminem of course!

From looking at pics online, it seems like this does happen in a lot of cases. It is quite difficult to tell where your own hairline was/should be. People would likely place reliance on the surgeon to know what’s best. It’s something for people to consider anyway, maybe best to bring a partner or friend and ask for their honest opinion. Also consider the hairline you used to have, and just try to make sure it’s not straight across. Unless you want to look like Eminem of course!

My guy had an idea and checked in with me. You would always cede to their expertise to an extent, but if someone draws a straight line across your forehead I'd think even if they didn't ask you, you'd probably speak up!!! :eek:

It's a mystery as to how surgeons/consultants aren't sued for malpractice if they knowingly draw a line that would make a transplant look ridiculous.

It's a mystery as to how surgeons/consultants aren't sued for malpractice if they knowingly draw a line that would make a transplant look ridiculous.

I would imagine it’s pretty difficult to prove negligence or harm caused from a restored hairline. As noted previously, the straighter hairline is quite common in some ethnicities, such as Latino, black, etc.

I don't think any of them would knowingly and intentionally draw a hairline they thought would look ridiculous. Maybe there is the odd super villain amongst them who would though :confused:

I don't think any of them would knowingly and intentionally draw a hairline they thought would look ridiculous. Maybe there is the odd super villain amongst them who would though :confused:

Most probably not but I think a hair consultant In Ireland was sued for bad advice a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Rikand wrote: »
    Dr. Nel has a good reputation and people who go to him are generally happy. I'm not sure if I can recall many, if any, negative reviews about him. He is a little on the pricier side, but thats also probably to do with the fact that he performs most/all the surgeries himself.

Ailesbury also has a good reputation and people who go there are generally happy, though I think Dr. Nel's customers are happier overall. It's generally cheaper than Dr. Nel also.

The big difference between the two for me is what they prescribe for after care treatment. Dr. Nel prescribes finesteride, Ailesbury prescribe Saw Palmetto. I think this argument and to a lesser extent price should be the main reasons for choosing one or the other. The Saw has no known side effects, but is probably less effective than the fin which has known side effects that effect roughly 1-5% of people ? natural remedy versus chemical. Chemical there's always more of a risk than natural in generally all walks of life.

No matter who you go to for your surgery, you are going to HAVE to take some form of DHT blocker to try and keep the rest of your hair, so its important you weigh up the pros and cons of both. For me, I love sex way too much and I really didnt want to risk growing man boobs to risk the fin.... But thats a personal choice for me. Everyone is different and 95-99% of people report no problems on the Fin. I just know with my luck, I'd be in the small percentage bracket lol

Finally, both places are performing surgeries 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 300 days a year (I know Ailesbury take a month off at some point of the year) - if one of them was giving terrible surgeries, everyone would be hearing about it and they wouldnt be in existence, so 99% of the time, they are doing at worst, good jobs and at best, great jobs. Just gotta go with whichever one feels right for you.

Take a consultation in both places is my advice. No matter what it costs, they are an investment in obtaining knowledge that no amount of researching will do for you

Excellent post, but I think this is incorrect:

The big difference between the two for me is what they prescribe for after care treatment. Dr. Nel prescribes finesteride, Ailesbury prescribe Saw Palmetto.

Afaik the transplanted hair is permanent, so taking fin /saw palmetto is not "after care". It is for holding on to the native hair.
    I would lean towards Dr Nel due to your argument. He can easily ask patients to use saw palmetto. It is less effective, less side effects and most likely the patient will come back for the next hair transplant.
    What do you think :)

That is something I often wonder about these places. Repeat business is important.

My doctor gave me the choice. I am taking fin as I just believe it's more likely to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd have the opposite point of view in that if Ailesbury are not prescribing fin, they believe in what they are doing and don't feel they need to beef it up by prescribing Fin. If i knew for 100% sure that i wouldnt suffer any form of erectal dysfunction, loss of libido or grow manboobs, I'd be on the fin in a heartbeat ;)

Besides, if Saw isnt working for people after they get a job at ailesbury, I'd say there less likely to go back as they'll blame Ailesbury for giving them a bad job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

yes, depends on which way you look at it :)

How much Saw Palmetto are they recommending a day? Anyone seen good results with just Saw Palmetto, Loniten, Regaine, Derma Roller and Nizorol Shampoo for the purpose of retaining existing hair?

It’s hard to believe that there’s been no substitute for finasteride in over 20 years. I’ve been reading up about an Italian and Swedish company who are at stage II and III in medical trials and showing promising results but I would question how many of these have reached similar stages only to fall at the last hurdle.

How much Saw Palmetto are they recommending a day? Anyone seen good results with just Saw Palmetto, Loniten, Regaine, Derma Roller and Nizorol Shampoo for the purpose of retaining existing hair?

It’s hard to believe that there’s been no substitute for finasteride in over 20 years. I’ve been reading up about an Italian and Swedish company who are at stage II and III in medical trials and showing promising results but I would question how many of these have reached similar stages only to fall at the last hurdle.

By all accounts it works and the side effects impact less than 5% of people. Very difficult to improve on that.

RU58841, CB0301, Dutasteride are all Finasteride alternatives.

All come with draw backs be it side effects, cost, availability and efficacy.

RU58841, CB0301, Dutasteride are all Finasteride alternatives.

All come with draw backs be it side effects, cost, availability and efficacy.

Perhaps I should have said safe alternatives with little to no side effects.

I’m not a scientist and maybe the whole process of testosterone conversion to DHT will always come with side effects. I can also see it is frustrating for some people who take Finasteride with no issues and can’t seem to understand why others won’t do the same. I don’t question the efficacy of the drug (although long term I’m not sure it has been proven), and wouldn’t want to put anyone else off taken it. Hopefully an alternative will come on the market in the near future which us whimps will take without fear!

You could just try it and if you get side effects come off it?

Almost no medication exists that doesn't list some possible side effects.

Yes but I think the concern would be that the side effects would be permanent.

Side effects generally aren't as severe as erectile dysfunction and moobs....

You also need to consider that if you are planning on going on fin, you will need to come off it again when the time comes for you to have children.

Ah they are to be fair. And for clarity, I mean prescription meds. You're not losing your hard 'un if you take paracetamol, I'll give you that.

Most anti-depressants cause erectile dysfunction and with a much higher percentage frequency than finasteride. I took Lexapro about a decade ago and yeah, it just kills you off.

• Advertisement

Are we allowed to post an example of someone’s work by linking to their Instagram page? It most certainly is not advertising as I’m trying to prove an earlier point about the straight line, however if it breaches rules I won’t post it.

Advertisement