Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It will take a lot to replace Bale's trilogy for me but this is just a different take, one that looks promising to me based on this trailer.

I really like Reeve's ability to mesh surreal and real together convincingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I really didn't like Nolan's trilogy, Batman Begins felt like the only Batman film in it to me with the 2 sequels being generic action man films (yes, minority opinion I'm sure). To me, The Batman looks like a return to actual Batman and i couldn't be more excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Epic Trailer, it won't top Nolan's Batman for me But I look forward to seeing this in the cinema Fighting scenes are brilliant. Farrell looks and sounds great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I’m sold. Some parts reminded me of Seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Biggest Batman, Superman, DC fan around. Can't get excited for this. Trailer does nothing for me. Hope I'm proved wrong. Why the need to rush to reboot again considering you have properties still active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

We'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Utter **** if I'm honest...

But, let's see

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The trailer has me intrigued enough but will be hard to beat the trilogy (barring the final instalment)

My biggest problem is imagining Pattison as Batman - doesn't click with me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Behind the scenes featurette containing more footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Give Pattison a chance, and absolutely go watch his catalogue of movies after Twilight. That movie very nearly ruined his career but he's a great actor and has been in some great stuff.

Personally I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie. I'm not keen on DC's track record when it comes to films, but this looks promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He sounds like he is imitating Bale with the hoarse voice.

One scene there I though it was John Wick not Pattison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I remain conflicted; that trailer showed there's a good chance this will finally show Batman as a detective, with some heavy Serial Killer styling throughout - and that's great ... but I do think I might be done with batman as the dour, Tortured Soul. I'm delighted Matt Reeves is making a movie about the World's Greatest Detective, but it looks about as fun a film we Joker.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Tortured soul is kinda the Batman brand, tbf.

Don't get people saying this will never outdo Nolan's version... It's just a different take, some will prefer it, some won't, but calling it rubbish from a trailer is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ya, but Adam West. And his Batman wasn't too far tonally from the comics of the time. You can lean too far into the grim. "But his parents were murdered" I hear people cry. Well, Superman entire civilisation and planet were destroyed, yet nobody's questioning his chipper demeanour and he doesn't have billions and a mansion. It's one of the things I loved about Lego's take. Taking the piss out of the character's posturing.

Not feeling the trailer. Too much noise, and this was being sold as a look at Batman the detective since its inception. But, that sells tickets I suppose and it'd be harder to convey detecting in a 2 minute trailer. Seem more stylised than Nolan's as well. Is it going far enough? because as much as I like two of this movies, the realistic takes doesn't give you many options when you look at Batman's rogues gallery.

I've always hated Something in the Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's the tone or the film not the character I'd be talking about. The whole overwrought grimness of Batman became undercut once Will Arnett started singing "Darkness! No parents!" and despite what the films might make you think the comics have a huge variance in tone. It wouldn't even have to be camp, just not this constant glowering that's becoming more prevalent. I like the trailer but after this I think I'll be more than done with this humourless, burdensome edgelord version

That's fair.

I loved Matt Reeves Apes movies, so I'm looking forward to this, and if it gives us a noir detective version of Batman, I'll be very happy, even if it is dark in tone. As long as it's bringing something new to it, I don't think it needs to ditch the darkness entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Homelander

Great trailer and incredible soundtrack.

Please god, they're on track to deliver an actual genuinely excellent movie that can both equal and stand apart from Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.

Surprised to see the budget is only $110m. That's a relatively low budget for a film of this gravitas, and way, way lower than any of the Nolan Batman outings - it's actually the same size as the budget allocated to Batman Forever in 1995.

I'd be shocked if Pattinson doesn't put in an astounding performance, he's a top tier actor, a fact that has, to be fair, been increasingly recognised in recent years.

Yeah, as with pixelburp, that's fair. Batman definitely doesn't need to be relentlessly grim. But a Se7en style, creepy detective story? Even if it was grim, it'd bring something new to the big screen versions of Batman, imo.

It's hard to it judge what you're going to get from trailers these days, but I'm optimistic for this.

Post edited by fitz on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm guessing the serial killer angle is just going to be background and a device to introduce the world and characters. They've often referenced The Long Halloween and IIRC The Calendar Man barely features it all. More interesting is the delineation between Wayne and Batman. Pattison has stated in interviews that the line is blurred, that we haven't that demarcation (whether in the suit or not) that features in all of the other movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Try imagining an aussie heart throb, who we saw in teen romcoms and then in a cowboy love movie playing the role of Joker. I remember it at the time, people saying it was going to be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Homelander

Pattinson has already played tons of highly praised roles in excellent films though.

He still has to earn respect as Batman, but he absolutely doesn't have to earn respect as an accomplished, top level actor.

I'd be shocked if it's anything other than a very strong performance, he's certainly capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

He is an exceptional actor who people write off simply because of Twilight. DiCaprio had the same stuff thrown at him for years after Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

DiCaprio is still overrated as an actor though. Pattinson has deliberately been picking interesting roles for himself, and not thinking about the odds of their commercial success.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good trailer except the bulletproof thing. "Please don't hit me in the face".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not sold at all, to be honest. It doesn't seem different enough from Nolan for a new Batman to arrive. Maybe it's general Batman fatigue, but if you're gonna reboot the character again, you should have a very distinctive look and feel. As I read on Forbes, if Warner Bros gets this wrong, it could feel a bit like The Amazing Spider-man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In fairness he has the look now the voice is another thing but I will not base it off the trailer.

Another example if I can switch genre is if Idras Elba as James Bond will look the part but he seems more hello governor then martini shaken nor stired

I think this has a little more going for it than that Spidey reboot, that's fairly harsh like 😄 that Sony reboot was only made out of legal necessity, it never stood a chance.

I don't get the comparison with Nolan though. This trailer struck a tone of a serial killer movie, with a LOT of stylised lighting and deep compositions; Nolan's batman films were rarely thus, with Dark Knight more in keeping with something like Heat; an epic crime film within a daytime urban landscape.

Certainly we're seeing a continuation of Batman being a Very Serious Character, and I've already said my thoughts on my jaded appetite in that respect, but the actual tone on offer here seems more like a seedy mystery killer movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I genuinely think this looks a lot darker both in lighting and tone than the Nolan movies (bar maybe Batman Begins). The action looks a lot more violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not sure if it's my perception of time as I age or the effect of the Affleck Batman in DCEU movies but I'm surprised that there will be a bigger gap from both The Batman - > Batman Begins and The Batman - > The Dark Knight Rises than there was with Batman Begins - > Batman (1989) and Batman Begins - > Batman & Robin.

(I get that some are more concerned about the difference in tone between those eras rather than the time difference but was there really that big a gap between Batman Returns and Batman Begins?)

Advertisement