Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh my. This is getting interesting. It appears that Gotham City is getting a more realistic look in the movie when compared to the other Batman movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

... Now, Reeves' film will explore the detective side of Batman, hopefully accounting for a more intense and psychologically thrilling story. 

Don't toy with my emotions, Matt Reeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wasn't Gotham on TDK and TDKR just New York/Chicago. I don't remember anything special about Gotham in those movies which is a shame because in BB Gotham genuinely felt and looked like a city of crime but then they ditched the slums area and the monorail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Dark Knight was Chicago, the film almost never tried to hide it. Various landmarks were clearly in shot at many points. It was always jarring compared to the slumland that was Batman Begins' urban aesthetic, with The Narrows basically ignored and wiped off the map (IIRC a character remarked in TDK The Narrows were "lost").

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I think NY suited TDKR more because of all the bridges, which helped with the idea of the city being cut off. TDKR also filmed in Pittsburgh. I think the Narrows parts from BB were filmed in Hong Kong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Narrows were inspired by the slums of Hong Kong but were mostly filmed on a set built in an aircraft hanger in the UK. I don't think Nolan was too happy with how it turned it which is why the Narrows doesn't appear again in the series.

A pity 'cos The Narrows gave the city a degree of personality that was slightly lost in the sequels, especially TDK and its aforementioned, obvious Chicago-based locations. Not that it had any adverse effect on the final film's quality mind you, and 100 other viewers probably never noticed how Chicago'y it all was; and by all accounts, nor was it as egregious a decision as making Metropolis & Gotham two cities at opposite sides of a river/bay, within sight of each other - as seen in the Synderverse 🤦

"Recently, IndieWire published an interview with The Batman's James Gordon actor Jeffery Wright, where he revealed that the Gotham City in the new movie will be a far cry from all the other Gothams fans have seen before. He suggested that the depiction and aesthetic of the setting is far more realistic than in any of the previous films, and it helps the movie relate to several real-life locations and situations. Wright also commended the director for his skills to imbue a sense of gritty realism into his work, recounting how Reeves incorporated themes of corruption and class divide into The Batman. He added that the stuff that Reeves brought from "the outside world" aligns his movie with the contemporary era, thereby giving it a lot of "relevance." Read what Wright said below"

So basically, Jeffrey Wright hasn't seen The Dark Knight trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All the subsequent themes have been in the shadow of Elfman's iconic score; though Giacchino is a talent. Will be interesting to see if Giacchino aims for a repeatable theme or something more of a soundscape

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

Well, at least they're recording it on arguably the best space for orchestral scoring...Abbey Road, Studio One.

Giacchino is terrific, excited to see what he does, but I agree, he has a lot to measure up to against Elfman's score.

May as well play the best version of it...

There is a new trailer by the by. Mostly the same footage as before but there some new snippets of action in the back half

Nevermind!

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That YouTube channel makes fake movie trailers. You've been had, pixelburp.

New trailer confirmed for DC FanDome next week (16th).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Pattinson felt sooo out of place in that clip!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is a new batcave lego set which puts Riddler & Commissioner Gordon in the batcave which may have an interesting take on the movie. Batman has a new jail cell in the Batcave to place prisoners into it. There is also some cryptic messages from Riddler that have to be read with special glasses.

The Batman trailer for this year's DC Fandome will be at 2 minutes & 36 seconds.

"The Batman LEGO Set Spoils a Massive Batcave Development | CBR" https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-lego-batcave-canon-change/

I wouldn't read too much into that. Toy play sets and figures from movies have often been really loosely based on the movies they came from. I'm thinking back to the toys I had from various movies, like the Jungle Explorer Jeep from Jurassic Park which came with a flip-out cannon. There was no cannon of any kind on that vehicle in the movie.

The cannon wasn't canon.

I very nearly put in that exact quip in my comment. Great minds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks **** class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That theme sounds the business.

Wheeeewwww!

That was epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

It does sound great, but it's incredibly similar to Departure of Boba Fett from the Empire Strikes Back:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm looking at this wondering what the point is.

I assume it's not meant to be, but it just looks like a sequel to Nolan's trilogy.

Advertisement