Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angelus

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Doesn't take much to break the hold these days...
    Not like the old days, eh? When people had luck, education, an open mind, lax parents.... Oh. Not much difference between these days and those days, I suppose. Maybe it's just a poorer quality brainwashing, eh?
    One of religion's biggest conceits.
    Any particular religion or do you reckon they all get together to gloat about it?
    How else could you describe belief in so much pie in the sky? How could you describe the belief that someone thinks that their religion is the one true religion? Brainwashing sounds accurate to me.
    Well, I'd describe belief in so much pie in the sky as belief in so much pie in the sky, but I'd describe brainwashing as intensive, forcible indoctrination, aimed at destroying a person's basic convictions and attitudes and replacing them with an alternative set of fixed beliefs. I have a sneaking suspicion that what you may have experienced was something more along the lines of half hearted persuasion, but I'll admit your experience of the Irish school system might have been somewhat more gulagesque than my own.
    Trivially true.
    So both in your initial assertion and my own observation? Nice that we can find common ground all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Absolam wrote: »
    Any particular religion or do you reckon they all get together to gloat about it?

Well, they can, and do, gloat separately about it. But it does seem to be one thing in common between religions, particularly the Abrahamic ones.
    Well, I'd describe belief in so much pie in the sky as belief in so much pie in the sky, but I'd describe brainwashing as intensive, forcible indoctrination, aimed at destroying a person's basic convictions and attitudes and replacing them with an alternative set of fixed beliefs. I have a sneaking suspicion that what you may have experienced was something more along the lines of half hearted persuasion, but I'll admit your experience of the Irish school system might have been somewhat more gulagesque than my own.

Aw, did you miss out on the whole 'corporal punishment' period in education? Also, no need to destroy a person's basic convictions when you get them young enough. That's why the various religions like to start young...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Well, they can, and do, gloat separately about it. But it does seem to be one thing in common between religions, particularly the Abrahamic ones.
    I'd love to see a link to that :)
    Aw, did you miss out on the whole 'corporal punishment' period in education? Also, no need to destroy a person's basic convictions when you get them young enough. That's why the various religions like to start young...
    Unfortunately not, though if I'm taking you up right, you're suggesting by not having corporal punishment in schools there's no brainwashing? Good to know the younger generations don't need to struggle past that half hearted persuasion so, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I remember the Angelus on tv when it had pictures of Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Red-faced religious order forced to pay up just under 100k to tax bosses http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/red-faced-religious-order-forced-7361067
    religious order’s company involved in producing the daily Angelus for RTE has made a settlement for more than €90,000 with the Revenue Commissioners.

Kairos Communications Ltd – owned by the Maynooth-based Society of the Divine Word order – is the largest independent contributor of religious programming to the national broadcaster.
    never realised they were religious owned

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Red-faced religious order forced to pay up just under 100k to tax bosses [...]
    While it's certainly good to see a religious outfit learn how to pay tax, unfortunately it's mere pennies compared to the hundreds of millions which the religious orders have refused to pay for their share of the residential abuse settlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Red-faced religious order forced to pay up just under 100k to tax bosses http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/red-faced-religious-order-forced-7361067

never realised they were religious owned
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/angelus-firm-makes-90k-payout-to-revenue-34449444.html
    The Kairos accounts show that at the end of December 2014, the firm was sitting on a cash pile of €764,639.

Last year, Kairos produced 39 hours of live broadcast of religious services for RTÉ Radio.

The firm provided RTÉ with 11 hours of live outside broadcasts in 2015 and will provide the same level of live broadcasts of religious services this year.

Kairos was founded in the 1970s by the late Fr Michael Melvin.

Advertisement