Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angelus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Given it's a non-issue, afaic, I'll all for the proposal.

I like the idea of allowing filmmakers one spot a week to mix it up. With some creativity some pretty good "secular" style films could be made in conjunction with/despite the bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Dades wrote: »
    Given it's a non-issue, afaic, I'll all for the proposal.

I like the idea of allowing filmmakers one spot a week to mix it up. With some creativity some pretty good "secular" style films could be made in conjunction with/despite the bells.

they already did it http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/708-rte-2000s/289926-the-angelus-office/ in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Dades wrote: »
    With some creativity some pretty good "secular" style films could be made in conjunction with/despite the bells.

With the bells in place all films, no matter how secular, will have a literal Catholic overtone. They might as well have a line of text at the bottom reading "This secular message of harmony was brought to you by Catholicism."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Secular bells would be fine. The RCC don't own the copyright for bell ringing

Secular bells would be fine. The RCC don't own the copyright for bell ringing

They also don't own the copyright on pieces of wood, but arrange them in a cross and the message is clear. The Angelus bells have a very distinct pattern that is associated with the RCC.

• Advertisement

robdonn wrote: »
    They also don't own the copyright on pieces of wood, but arrange them in a cross and the message is clear. The Angelus bells have a very distinct pattern that is associated with the RCC.

The Origins of the Angelus on Radio Éireann
    http://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/the-origins-of-the-angelus-on-radio-eireann/ presume is still a recording of the pro-Cathedrale beels it dos have a nice crackle to it.

and the 3-3-3-9 arrangement http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/8297/the-pattern-for-ringing-the-angelus/p1

Meanwhile Roger Childs making **** up as he goes along for a long time
    The station broke with 50 years’ of tradition on Good Friday by ringing the Angelus bells on television, contrary to Catholic practice. An RTE spokeswoman said a decision had been made not to suspend the daily broadcast, as has been the custom on Good Friday and Easter Saturday in keeping with Catholic observance.
    “RTE is funded by and exists to serve licence-payers of all faiths and none,” she said. “It has a legal mandate to reflect all aspects of national culture including, specifically, religious belief and practice.”
    Despite the decision by Roger Childs, the editor of religious programmes, RTE Radio took the more traditional approach and failed to ring the bells on either day.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1012435.ece http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/angelus-chimes-kept-ringing-for-first-time-26840992.html

Healy-Raes plead for the Angelus' salvation http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/healyraes-plead-for-the-angelus-salvation-31393595.html

"Whatever good The Angelus does it hurts no one. There are about 900 channels on TVs now so if people don't like it they can change the channel," said Cllr Johnny Healy Rae.
    those 900 channels arn't RTE

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Well, you have RTE Two, RTE Jr., TV3, TG4, 3e, UTV Ireland, and RTE News Now (do they play the Angelus on RTE NN?) at least partly funded by the licence, I think, so there is choice...
    Or, you could watch the headlines on BBC, then switch to the local news.

Well, you have RTE Two, RTE Jr., TV3, TG4, 3e, UTV Ireland, and RTE News Now (do they play the Angelus on RTE NN?) at least partly funded by the licence, I think, so there is choice...

those are not the channels that Healy-Rae was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

those are not the channels the Healy-Rae were talking about.
    Are they not some of the 900 channels they mentioned that aren't showing the Angelus, and some of them are RTE, unlike what you said?
    Though you haven't mentioned why in your opinion, of those 900 channels, RTE ought not to broadcast the Angelus rather than any of the other 899.

• Advertisement

That's why I suggested secular bells. Read my post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

That's why I suggested secular bells. Read my post again.

Tubular Bells?

galljga1 wrote: »
    Tubular Bells?

Meditation bells. Anything but Angelus bells would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I still have to flip the station when the nonsense that is the angelus comes on. It still angers me that we were forced to mumble that absolute garbage as kids whenever those meaningless bells were played. As for the rosary....

Currently listening to Tubular Bells which is quite soothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a way of avoiding something is not an excuse in and of itself for that something.

if i am pummelling you because you are standing in front of me, i don't think you'd accept a 'but if you stood somewhere else, i wouldn't be pummelling you' excuse from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

a way of avoiding something is not an excuse in and of itself for that something. if i am pummelling you because you are standing in front of me, i don't think you'd accept a 'but if you stood somewhere else, i wouldn't be pummelling you' excuse from me.
    So... no channel should be allowed to broadcast something you might not like, because you shouldn't have to change the channel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not what i said. i (quite intentionally) used the phrase 'an excuse in and of itself'. a response to criticism of an aspect of programming of 'you can always change the channel' is a way of ducking the criticism rather than responding to it.

the fact that RTE 1 is our primary national - and publically owned - TV channel, is a major part of this discussion. i couldn't give two ****es if the 'evangelical channel of god' played the angelus as i've no input to it and it has no agenda to represent and serve the irish public fairly. i think it's fair to say that RTE1 does.

googles Meditation bells ...ugh

would these "Secualr bells" still be played at 12 and 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

'you can always change the channel' is as worthless an excuse as 'you can always set up your own school'

Life ain't always empty.

Dont see why not

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

a way of avoiding something is not an excuse in and of itself for that something.

if i am pummelling you because you are standing in front of me, i don't think you'd accept a 'but if you stood somewhere else, i wouldn't be pummelling you' excuse from me.
    well, i mightn't be entirely happy with the solution, but I probably would move...

Dont see why not
    why would they be played at 12 and 6?

National call to lunch and dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

National call to lunch and dinner?

Real Irish people have their dinner and tea. What's the lunch thing about?

Why wouldn't they? They are not Angelus bells we are discussing. If I fart into a megaphone at 6 and 12 o'clock does that automatically make it an Angelus?

Why wouldn't they? They are not Angelus bells we are discussing. If I fart into a megaphone at 6 and 12 o'clock does that automatically make it an Angelus?

no we are discussing the Angelus a Catholic call to pray that played at 12 an d 6 on National Broadcaster.

yesno we are discussing the Angelus a Catholic call to pray that played at 12 an d 6 on National Broadcaster.

Eh no...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I don't understand why people complain so much about it.

Pre 1978, only one TV channel, few video recorders and probably no remote control it would make sense to object to it.

Now we have more channels than I can be bothered to count, more online content than anyone could possibly watch and remote controls so we barely have to move to select whatever we want to see or not see.

It's just a minute, twice a day on one TV channel, that's roughly 0.14% of that channels daily output. If just 1% of the population want it I think it's fair to broadcast it.

I usually have reached for the remote and pressed it before the first bell has finished!

Can we have a campaign to stop Fair City being broadcast instead? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Who cares let the catholics have their holy bells,it's not a big deal not religious my self at all but in non Catholic countries they do their thing so let them do their thing here, afterall it is the main religion of the country like it or not ( not personally)

• Advertisement

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Who cares let the catholics have their holy bells,it's not a big deal not religious my self at all but in non Catholic countries they do their thing so let them do their thing here, afterall it is the main religion of the country like it or not ( not personally)

It is the religion that the majority of people identify with, but it is not a Catholic country.

Advertisement