Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

6541 wrote: »
    I am not sure that Aldi opening in Bellmullet is good for the town.

The existing retailers have been price gouging for long enough because of the remote location of the town. About time they had some competition. Only those with a vested interest or don't actually live there will see Aldi coming to Belmullet as a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

New filling station/cafe/off licence opening next Friday on the Turlough road. castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

New filling station/cafe/off licence opening next Friday on the Turlough road. castlebar

Will be a welcome addition to that side of town, I wonder is there a franchise similar to caseys doing the food? looks like there's a seating area, was a long time in the works

Thou wrote:
    Will be a welcome addition to that side of town, I wonder is there a franchise similar to caseys doing the food? looks like there's a seating area, was a long time in the works

Don't know about the deli. But the cafe area is called Urban Sips

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whereabouts? Is it just behind the Coal place across from the sacred heart?

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote:
    Whereabouts? Is it just behind the Coal place across from the sacred heart?

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

They'd want to sort themselves out quick. Was in there for a couple of tubs of ice-cream earlier. They have it in a corner near the till. There was a cue in no time with everyone backed into the corner. Got fleeced for the smallest portions ever as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Helena chocolates on Cavendish lane has closed. Wasn't my kinda place (I'm more mars bar than artisan chocolate) but still sad to see a place go after 13 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dudda wrote: »
    Helena chocolates on Cavendish lane has closed. Wasn't my kinda place (I'm more mars bar than artisan chocolate) but still sad to see a place go after 13 years.

Ah that's a great pity.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's a big shame, I hope they find a way to keep making the chocolates at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

It's funny the knock on consequences for small businesses closing. My eldery mum comes to Castlebar once a week for her shop and calls in here everytime. She really looked forward to going there every week and always had a few chocolates home for the family. Best of luck to the owners, I hope they can keep the business going in some form or other...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Sad to see the shop closing, article in the Mayo Advertiser says he opened the shop in 1987.
    I remember it being in Market Square years ago.

https://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/14289/castlebar-master-chocolatier-appointed-world-chocolate-ambassador

Perhaps the article has changed since you posted it but it doesn't say the cafe is closing.

Perhaps the article has changed since you posted it but it doesn't say the cafe is closing.

That article is 11 years old. I was the first to post that it closed and that was after I passed it and read the notice on the empty cafe window. All furniture removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think the other poster was just posting that article as an information piece about the place. Wasn't meant to be about the closing afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

PARlance wrote: »
    I think the other poster was just posting that article as an information piece about the place. Wasn't meant to be about the closing afaik.

Thanks, exactly, I was was just giving some background information on the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gagagogo

Bridge St Castlebar have reopened. Not selling alcohol.

118277332_2623767021272194_7009459156305970823_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=OO5iXQDUtrwAX8hKrF-&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=4ad5186cde19e8b2f909b374a1f6b200&oe=5F6DF77B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

Fair play to them for trying something different. Its a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Elverys warehouse expanding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

Have Helenas chocolates opened up again on main street under a different name?

• Advertisement

muddle84 wrote: »
    Have Helenas chocolates opened up again on main street under a different name?

They have. I saw that today. Good few in it shopping which was nice to see

Dudda wrote:
    They have. I saw that today. Good few in it shopping which was nice to see

Great to see. And they are sticking with the Napoleonic naming scheme.
    Antiques and fine art store has opened in the old Kodka shop too plus there is a package free food shop opening in Ianuary

Great to see. And they are sticking with the Napoleonic naming scheme.
    Antiques and fine art store has opened in the old Kodka shop too plus there is a package free food shop opening in Ianuary

The Antique and Art place looks like a very nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

An Bord Pleanála has overturned another decision by Mayo Co Co, an over 18s amusement arcade will move into a vacant unit on the side street behind Sports Direct, while permission was also granted after appeal for Ladbrookes to relocate beside the Irish House.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Xenji wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanála has overturned another decision by Mayo Co Co, an over 18s amusement arcade will move into a vacant unit on the side street behind Sports Direct, while permission was also granted after appeal for Ladbrookes to relocate beside the Irish House.

Labrookes move should not have been allowed. Prime unit gone to a bookies is a shame

Bookies should be kept where they belong either down back streets of online, the industry barely pays any tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

One of the bookies planning conditions is that it must close at 18:00 hours. Not very favorable when all other bookies close at 21:00 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6541 wrote: »
    One of the bookie planning conditions is that it must close at 18:00 hours. Not very favourable when all other bookies clise at 21:00 hours.

it will be ignored.

Awful shame to see that decision overturned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Charity shops, amusements, bookies. The town is turning into Blackpool.

Advertisement