Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danoH

At last ...its the section that follows on from- spinster over 21 years of age daughter of- ......?Healy................Dublin Ireland -that I cant make out and of course this is the bit I am interested in ....Thanksagain -regardless

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

danoH wrote: »
    At last ...its the section that follows on from- spinster over 21 years of age daughter of- ......?Healy................Dublin Ireland -that I cant make out and of course this is the bit I am interested in ....Thanksagain -regardless

Kudos for your persistence!

Here's my take on the section after spinster.

"...now resident in the City of Montreal spinster over 21 years of age daughter of Maurice Healy now resident in Dublin Ireland and his lawful wife now deceased Mona Dwyer were united by me by authority of License in the holy bonds of matrimony on January 26th 1917 in the City of Montreal in presence of subscribing witnesses..."

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Concur - think the word Hermy is missing is "were"

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Concur - think the word Hermy is missing is "were"

Now amended thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danoH

Pinky Hermy thank you so much -I kept thinling that 'lawful wife ...' was an area in Dublin.... Mona Dwyer ...should help me to locate Maurice in the 1901/11 cencus ...patience pays .....Thanks a million danoH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

spurious wrote: »
    It certainly would be unusual with her daughter as informant, who presumably would know.

There is a Laurence Whelan died in the hospice (Dublin South) in 1897.

Thanks spurious.

I see the Laurence you referred to but I think that's someone unrelated. Also states that he was a carpenter whereas on Mary Anne's death cert it says her husband was a porter. Obviously people had many varied jobs back then but I do think it's a different person. Plus he was 45 in 1897 and she was 57 in 1898. Ages were not always accurate but I don't think there's a connection between the two people.

Don't want to drag this any further off topic but that's thrown a right spanner in the works. A lot of research has been done on the back of some of the names mentioned here. I'll have to go back over the details but afraid of confirmation bias creeping in. Maybe this needs to be moved to the off-topic chat but I don't know if someone fancies cross-checking some documents I have. I have all the details but I may like someone to take a look at what I have and confirm whether what I have looks okay or if I've made a mistake along the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please feel free to start a new thread with all the stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

It's not handwriting but I'm wondering if anyone might be able to make out what's on this headstone.

148757595_1436219191.jpg

It looks to say:
    MARY KELLY
    A native of the parish of ?
    County Roscommon Ireland

There's one parish that I think it might be, but even then, it doesn't look exactly right. The bottom of the headstone also has 'Erected by' but I can't see much else after that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

srmf5 wrote: »
    It's not handwriting but I'm wondering if anyone might be able to make out what's on this headstone.

It looks to say:
    MARY KELLY
    A native of the parish of ?
    County Roscommon Ireland

There's one parish that I think it might be, but even then, it doesn't look exactly right. The bottom of the headstone also has 'Erected by' but I can't see much else after that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

In memor’m of
    MARY KELLY
    A native of the Parish of ….
    County Roscommon in Ireland
    (???)
    Sept 27th 184?
    Aged 64 years

I cannot decipher the italic script but the penultimate line commences ‘Erected by …. (possibly ‘her brother’?)

Mick Tator wrote: »
    In memor’m of
    MARY KELLY
    A native of the Parish of ….
    County Roscommon in Ireland
    (???)
    Sept 27th 184?
    Aged 64 years

I cannot decipher the italic script but the penultimate line commences ‘Erected by …. (possibly ‘her brother’?)

Thanks for the help. I think that the year is 1863 but I'm not certain. I also can't make out who it's erected by. It's the erected by and parish that I'm mostly interested in but primarily the parish. Looking at the image, there seems to be a better chance of making out the parish than the erected by anyway. The picture is on Findagrave of a headstone in the US. I'm interested to know if she was from the same parish as my ancestors. It's a shame that the person who took the picture didn't transcribe what was on the headstone as well since it looks like it would be easy enough to read if you were looking at it in-person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

It is challenging. Are you in the Kelly Clan Facebook group/page? There is a large number of US Kellys there with Roscommon heritage and they might know of her/ graveyard.

Mick Tator wrote: »
    It is challenging. Are you in the Kelly Clan Facebook group/page? There is a large number of US Kellys there with Roscommon heritage and they might know of her/ graveyard.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know which graveyard/cemetery it is? It's a long shot, but there may have been volunteers transcribed it.

spurious wrote: »
    Do you know which graveyard/cemetery it is? It's a long shot, but there may have been volunteers transcribed it.

Yes, it's Saint John the Evangelist Cemetery, Lambertville, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, USA.

Re cause of death for the last entry on this record can anyone tell me the word I'm missing?

I have the first part - pulmonary exhaustion 2 hours - but the middle word of the second line has me stumped - chronic _______ disease.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1970/04148/4054363.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Re cause of death for the last entry on this record can anyone tell me the word I'm missing?

I have the first part - pulmonary exhaustion 2 hours - but the middle word of the second line has me stumped - chronic _______ disease.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1970/04148/4054363.pdf

Could it be chronic tubercular disease?

I think that the first part could be pulmonary embolism.

Spot on srmf5 - thanks!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Any idea what the surname might be on this birth record?

Any idea what the surname might be on this birth record?

Folliott?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fallcott?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

Any idea what the location here is?

J-Wall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

champchamp wrote: »
    Any idea what the location here is?

J-Wall.jpg

Looks like Jeremiah Wall of Mendicity Institute. It's on Usher's Island in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

Thank you. I would never have figured that out.

Just a wee reminder...

Where possible we prefer if people post full images and links to or descriptions of sources.

This will help others to help you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi All
    Please try for Fathers name
    at Entry no 63 Marriage of Thomas Mullen to Catherine Watters

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11384/8180003.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Owen?

Looking for opinions on the entry third from the top right hand page please.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634405#page/60/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hermy wrote: »
    Looking for opinions on the entry third from the top right hand page please.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634405#page/60/mode/1up

Looks like James of James Hoey & Mary bonus ( or Bowes), Kgt, sp Margaret Barry, Balimount.

Unlikely though because Hoey is not a name associated with Kildare. Kgt might mean knight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was thinking Lacy for the surname as there's some similar looping; but the same writer has written half-width M's nearby that are also very similar.

I've ancestors from that parish and surname spelling consistency is extra-poor from experience, despite decent older records.

• Advertisement

Yes, I believe it is Hoey but wanted a second opinion.
    A prison record confirms that he was born in Broadford.

Could that kgt be ilgt - short for illegitimate?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement