Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FPRS%2FMICROFILM02455-02%2F0019&parentid=IRE%2FPRS%2FBAP%2F4814098

right hand page. third baptism up from bottom

26th Apr
    Margaret of John Kiely and Margaret Neil
    sprs, H....? Neil and Catherine Neil

Name of first sponsor? I honestly dont know. Seems to start with a H. Doesn't look like Thomas but could be suppose...?
    Thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think it could be Thomas - if you count the strokes down.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

pinkypinky wrote: »
      I think it could be Thomas - if you count the strokes down.

actually yes. counting the down strokes. I can now see the M in ThoMa

Thanks

Transcribing 18th century letters is teaching me things!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All, I need help with the writing here. I cannot make out the mother's maiden name:

See 4th line on the link - Mary Talbot - Father's name is Nicholas Talbot. Born 1866 in Urlingford.

What I cannot decipher:

Mother's full maiden name - is her first name Margaret? I have no idea what her surname is though?

In the signature, qualification, and residence section, there is something written under "Margaret Talbot" - any ideas?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03508/2290056.pdf

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Looks like Margaret Talbot formerly Quirk and Margaret Talbot mother Darby's Hill.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Hermy wrote: »
      Looks like Margaret Talbot formerly Quirk and Margaret Talbot mother Darby's Hill.

Thanks Hermy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would appreciate suggestions as to the first word in the cause of death for little Mary Reilly, 2nd entry on this page:
      https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1911/05405/4509766.pdf

??? Heart failure.

Could it be defective?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

pinkypinky wrote: »
      Could it be defective?
      Don't think so. It has me beaten. That guy does not cross his 't's - see 'certified' 'spinster' 'painter' etc. The second letter could be a 't' . Initially I thought it might be 'adolescens' but then I saw 8 days so ruled that out...

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

spurious wrote: »
      Would appreciate suggestions as to the first word in the cause of death for little Mary Reilly, 2nd entry on this page:
      https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1911/05405/4509766.pdf

??? Heart failure.

Looks like Abl......is

Ablation is a heart condition so something along those lines I'd say.

Looks like Abl......is

Ablation is a heart condition so something along those lines I'd say.
      Don't think so - ablation is a procedure not a condition.

Mick Tator wrote: »
      Don't think so - ablation is a procedure not a condition.

Ah! Then I'm out of order! Apologies.

Ah! Then I'm out of order! Apologies.
      Gosh no. It was a good attempt and the list was a good find. I wonder if the ending of the word is 'lesions'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Isn't it shocking writing?
      I think we may not get to the bottom of it.

I thought myself maybe it ended in something like 'ssis'. I know it's not pertussis, but something along those lines maybe.
      Something heart related anyway, poor little thing.

Isn't it shocking writing?
      I think we may not get to the bottom of it.
      More like the heart of the matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Stumped. Was confident enough that it began with 'Abb...' but looking at it again I'm not even sure it starts with A (as it looks different to the fourth entry - Anna).

I don't think it is but I'll just throw this in the hat - allergies?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

"arrhythmia"

But the Registrar couldn't spell it properly :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BowWow wrote: »
      "arrhythmia"

But the Registrar couldn't spell it properly :rolleyes:

Oh I think you might be right there.
      Imagine getting a job where you were filling in official records with a scrawl like that.

I don't think it is but I'll just throw this in the hat - allergies?
      It could be. I'd accept allergies over Allerryhmthia (!):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Imagine getting a job where you were filling in official records with a scrawl like that.

Often wish the Registrars were told to write in block capitals....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it's Abb something, too - ABB (R)_ _G_SIS?? Maybe ATE-something? Could it have been a second condition, rather than an adjective relating to the heart failure?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Atelectasis?

Crossword solvers sometimes help. https://www.crosswordsolver.org/solve/ate
      is

BowWow wrote: »
      Often wish the Registrars were told to write in block capitals....

Bear in mind though that this is not the registrars handwriting.

Instead it is that of a clerk whose job it was to make these handwritten copies of for head office in Dublin while the originals remained in the local office.

It's likely though that the registrars handwriting was no better leading the clerks to be deliberately ambiguous in what they wrote.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Doctors have always had terrible writing, in fact the current generation is much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Bear in mind though that this is not the registrars handwriting.

Instead it is that of a clerk whose job it was to make these handwritten copies of for head office in Dublin while the originals remained in the local office.

It's likely though that the registrars handwriting was no better leading the clerks to be deliberately ambiguous in what they wrote.

That may be true today, but in the 19th century It was the duty of the local registrar, ie. the dispensary doctor, to transcribe his registers at the end of each quarter, to be included in the gro registers. Sometimes the assistant registrar might do the task, but few registrars had assistants.

tabbey wrote: »
      That may be true today, but in the 19th century It was the duty of the local registrar, ie. the dispensary doctor, to transcribe his registers at the end of each quarter, to be included in the gro registers. Sometimes the assistant registrar might do the task, but few registrars had assistants.

That makes sense.

Thanks for the correction tabbey. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
      Atelectasis?

Crossword solvers sometimes help. https://www.crosswordsolver.org/solve/ate
      is

That makes more sense. I believe you have got it!

Advertisement