Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

New Home wrote: »
    Found it, I think. Hainprechting. https://mapcarta.com/de/35564330

Thank you! I think the prechting part is right. I think the first part may be Reihn. I just found this newspaper article in German and it's a little easier to read:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvmeqi1uolucgjs/Muggenthaler%20newspaper.png?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Any idea what the name 'Demetrius' would be known as?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jeremiah, which can also appear as Darby.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

And maybe Dermot...........

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Or Denis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

spurious wrote: »
    Jeremiah, which can also appear as Darby.

Also Diarmuid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danoH

Hi everyone - new to site but hoping for help with handwritten document - marriage record- Canada and DUBLIN interest DanoH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Welcome - you will need a few posts before you can post a link but if you want to PM it to me, I'll add it into the thread.

We keep all the handwriting help posts in this one thread to keep everything tidy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Last entry

Second entry

I can't make out the address for either of these entries.

mindhorn wrote: »

Found dead in a bath at South City Baths, 15 Nassau Place.
    Home Addresss is 39 East Essex Street.

• Advertisement

Died in St. Vincent's Hospital.
    Home address is either 37 or 57 Denmark Street.

BowWow wrote: »
    Found dead in a bath at South City Baths, 15 Nassau Place.
    Home Addresss is 39 East Essex Street.

Maybe I need glasses but why am I not seeing any of the above in the entry?

PM to me -do mean for me to upload image toyou personall Pinky - if yes how? Sorry my lack of knowledge danoH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Same for me.

Address 60 Great Strand Street

Genealogy Forum Mod

I won't book an eye test just yet. I was too busy focusing on the address that I somehow managed to miss columns 5 and 7. I'm seeing 'widow' and 'Porter's widow'. Reading that right?

If so, that makes no sense to me as her husband lived until 1913. Let's presume I have the "right" person and my research is correct. Would it be possible to make a mistake like this on the cert?

danoH wrote: »
    PM to me -do mean for me to upload image toyou personall Pinky - if yes how? Sorry my lack of knowledge danoH

No, you can just send me the url of the image. Then reply to this thread mentioning what you need help with on the image and I'll edit your post to add in the link.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Everytime I tried to place what i think was URL - i was told that I couldnt post anything -links etc yet---sorry about going way back in time with DNA

Yes, that's why I suggesting you send me a PM with the URL (the website address of the page with the image of your query) and I can post it for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

PinkyP Thanks for patience.....The image I have was sent to me by Sebastian Robert -Drouin Institute Quebec -after a request for info re. my interest- he said "..first started in the BMD files in the Kardex Modifie - to find one fiche Vergeylen/Healy marriage Westmount Quebec 1917....its a jpeg d1p_115d1786.JPG but whether this info any good to you??? If no other way perhaps if I keep on posting I will eventuall be able to send the image to you ----Many thaks regardless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Notes on second last entry on P117 here? England, 1938 is about all I'm getting - I presume it has to be a marriage.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633753#page/117/mode/1up

There's an even darker image on the now abandoned Irish Genealogy records site

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/rathmines_mf_1882-1906_ba_0237.pdf

danoH wrote: »

This link doesn't work.
    If you don't have a url, you can upload the image as an attachment to a post.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

L1011 wrote: »
    Notes on second last entry on P117 here? England, 1938 is about all I'm getting - I presume it has to be a marriage.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633753#page/117/mode/1up

There's an even darker image on the now abandoned Irish Genealogy records site

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/rathmines_mf_1882-1906_ba_0237.pdf

The first word of the note is matrimonium or some such rendering of matrimony followed by some other Latin rendering of contracted so yeah, a reference to the person baptised being married in England.

In the English civil indexes there is an entry for an Andrew C. Ralph marrying an Ellen V. Perks in Fylde, Lancashire in 1938.

I wasn't aware the Irish Genealogy parish records had been abandoned - when did this happen?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That wedding would be quite likely I'd expect - I'll look in to it.

I meant abandoned in so far as the last new set of transcriptions was many years ago; with the NAI scans having been the replacement effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I agree with Hermy's take on this - it is a marriage, matrimonium coniunctierunt apud Fleetwood, England (Joined in marriage near Fleetwood, England) According to a Google search 'Fleetwood is a coastal town in Lancashire, England, at the northwest corner of the Fylde, '

Last entry
    Second entry
    I can't make out the address for either of these entries.
    Found dead in a bath at South City Baths, 15 Nassau Place. Home Addresss is 39 East Essex Street.
    Died in St. Vincent's Hospital.
    Home address is either 37 or 57 Denmark Street.
    Hermy wrote: »
    Same for me.
    Address 60 Great Strand Street

Guys, apologies, my fault. I took my "Last Entry" details from the page with the "Second Entry". I will arrange stronger glasses :o

mona - Copy.JPG
    Perhaps this will work

Yes, can see that.

What do you need help with?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was too busy focusing on the address that I somehow managed to miss columns 5 and 7. I'm seeing 'widow' and 'Porter's widow'. Reading that right?

If so, that makes no sense to me as her husband lived until 1913. Let's presume I have the "right" person and my research is correct. Would it be possible to make a mistake like this on the cert?

Shameless bump!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was too busy focusing on the address that I somehow managed to miss columns 5 and 7. I'm seeing 'widow' and 'Porter's widow'. Reading that right?

It certainly would be unusual with her daughter as informant, who presumably would know.

There is a Laurence Whelan died in the hospice (Dublin South) in 1897.

Advertisement