Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

snobbles wrote: »
    Hatton seems to be correct but it's a very unusual name for rural Roscommon in the 1800s!
    Thanks

Not a name I had ever come across, though there are a few in the 1901 census, both male and female intriguingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I believe this to be my great grandfather Edward Connell's baptism record on 10 June 1832.

Anyone have an idea of the sponsor's names? I think the parents are Patt or Patk Connell and Mary Kilbride.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Anyone have an idea of the sponsor's names? I think the parents are Patt or Patk Connell and Mary Kilbride.
    Yes to Patt Connell and Mary Kilbride; sponsors are Edw(ard) Connell and Mary Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Yes to Patt Connell and Mary Kilbride; sponsors are Edw(ard) Connell and Mary Connell.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

pinkypinky wrote: »
    No, one handwriting thread for all such queries is better.

There's 2 problems here: you need someone who can speak Irish and read the old Irish script and someone who understands medical words.

I make out 2 causes, the first has something about "fola" (blood) lasting 5 days. The secondary cause is much harder but lasted 14 days. I presume the last word means certified because that's usually the last word in a cause of death section. Deimhnithe in modern Irish.
    You could ask in the Irish forum if we don't get any further with it.
    agus galan buidhe = and Jaundice (under II)
    I'll have a look at the rest when I've a bigger screen than a phone..(and a dictionary!)
    Irish spelling changed definitively in the 1950’s and was simplified substantially – for example the word for ‘gone’ nowadays is ‘imithe’ which previously was spelled ‘imthighthe’. Similarly the old lettering was changed although the letters R and S had taken ‘modern’ formats earlier. By 1961, (the date of the death entry/ register), the entries should be in the ‘revised’ script, but the registrar / clerk continued with the old format.

I (a) Caidhn –na xx fola 5 lá [xxxxx of the blood 5 days]
    (b) Sgamhatas, 5 lá [Phthysis 5 days] The Irish word for Phthysis (an old name for TB) is sgamhalar, I’d guess that is what the Reg. means.
    II
    Dáidhteacht
    Fuilmheathlughach agus
    [xxxx and
    an galán buidhe [ jaundice] (lit. the yellow disease)
    Fuilmheathlughach 14 lá [xxx 14 days]
    The word for ‘consumption’ (another old word for TB) is Meathanas and ‘lugh’ means ‘swift’.

Dinneen (possibly the best dictionary of the period) is not very good on the words so it obviously is very technical language.

My take is that death was caused by TB complicated by jaundice.
    tabbey wrote: »
    Swift in relation to consumption, may be his way of describing "galloping consumption" in modern times known as "miliary TB". This would mean that it was spreading to other organs, perhaps the liver in this case.

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for the delay in replying to ye. By using all of your helpful replies, we have:

I: (a.) ? of the blood, 5 days.

(b.) Phthisis, 5 days.

II: ? galloping consumption and jaundice, galloping consumption, 14 days.

Certified

I'll make a post soon in the Irish forum to see if they can fill in the remaining question marks. Thanks again everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Part hand-writing part history query.

People on this prison register from 1920 arrested for "offences under the ROJR" Although it could be an S and the FMP transcription says ROIR.

Any thoughts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

could it be Restoration of Order in Ireland Act ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_of_Order_in_Ireland_Act_1920

Very possibly. After seeing this prison record, I looked at the military archive collections, and he has an extensive file. Active as a teenager in the Rising and the civil war.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Here's another please.

Groom's father's profession?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here's another please.

Groom's father's profession?
    Not seeing a link?

• Advertisement

Yes, boards seems to have eaten it when it was down there briefly.

It won't let me upload something. I'll try again in a few mins.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ah I see the problem it's a too big because it's a colour image.
    It's the second marriage on the below.

Link instead so you can see other handwriting on the page.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=d-80-3-6-096

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think it's Gardener, though spelled 'Gardiner'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

spurious wrote: »
    I think it's Gardener, though spelled 'Gardiner'.

I agree with gardener, but I'd like to see a few more examples of that (Theobald Butler) celebrant's writing to be sure of his 'G's. I think the spelling is correct, it's a 'squeezed 'e' as he always dots the 'i' (spinster, Patrick, etc.) and there is no dot over the Gardener. Is her father a Sailor, Tailor or Jailor?

Ha! I'd go with tailor.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

This is a long shot but I'd be grateful for any help. Mods, feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

I'm trying to find the birthplace of my Swedish Great-grandfather, a sailor who moved to Ireland in the late 1880's. From his Irish marine records where he had to give his birthplace, he recorded it as Sweeden (sic).
    However in earlier Irish ship records he wrote his birthplace as Gothenburg in Sweden and also a birthplace transcribed as 'Feehan'. Having looked at the original handwriting I can see how it can be described as Feehan but no such place exists in Sweden. Anyway, here's a copy of the original written record if anyone can try to make it out. His original name was Willem Neilson, he changed it to William Nelson soon after he moved to Ireland.
    His details are the fifth name down, I'll try to enhance it.

S.S.%20Ierne%20Feehan_zpsxqojyzq0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hey vektarman

I downloaded you image, i could only make out discharge in Dublin, looks like sweden beside his name from a distance. Good luck .

[IMG]file:///Users/CKTennant/Desktop/HelenFlynnBirth.jpg[/IMG]

Not sure how to add image, hoping for the best, first time doing it!

Anyway i am trying to make out the address on this birth cert, trying to prove it is my grandmothers sister, it looks like the same parents names and maiden name as my grandmothers parents.

Thought it was gardener street, but looks like a 'J'. any help appreciated.

If image is not showing, can someone help me with how to upload it. Thanks.

You haven't enough posts to upload things yet, I suspect.

If you tell us the name of the person - looks like Helen Flynn - place and date of birth, I can look it up on irishgenealogy and then put in a link.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks.

Born July 1913, can't make out date. Parents Daniel Flynn, Mary Flynn formerly Darby, born rotunda hospital. Father was a labourer. District north city.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1913/01442/1590323.pdf

• Advertisement

I'd say that it's 13 Lower Gardiner St. I don't see another capital g on the page but there are a couple of Js and they look different.

Genealogy Forum Mod

On Dublin City council electoral rolls and found a Mary Flynn 88 lower gardiner street, no sign of Daniel Flynn. Will keep looking. Thanks again for the help

The electoral rolls start a long time after 1913 - he easily could have died.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The daniel Flynn I found didn't die till 1969, so they could be different people, and i know he found in wars so he may have been out of the country at that time.

23rd July.
    Their marriage cert 26 February 1905 has another candidate for deciphering, which looks like 'Killer' :eek: , but I think might be Fitter(?)

well I hope it was fitter! but he was already dead when the got married.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I recently discovered that my great-great grandmother from Co Limerick gave birth to her sixth child in the Hampstead workhouse in England.  The 1861 census shows the other five children also there, all born England.  Can anyone read the last bit on this birth record?  I have figured most of the record out by referring to entries below hers, the top entry on the page.  The entry reads--
    Date of birth, 30 Sept 1860--Baby is male--Name of Mother, Catherine Powell--Chargeable to Hampstead parish--Baby baptized James George--Remarks, 'Mother deserted by her husband'.
    The next line reads--'One birth in half year ending Lady Day 1861'.  It is the next bit of writing--sentence?--that I can't decipher.
    If it helps, mother's maiden name is Catherine Howard. Father was James Powell, 'shoemaker, journeyman' from their marriage record.  Oral history disagrees whether he was Irish or English but leaning to Irish.  Birth record attached--and thank you.

virginaB really hard o make out, hope someone can help.

What are the earliest records GRO have and where can I get earlier records
    Please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

If you zoom, it helps but I'd appreciate any help from other eyes.

You can read about the GRO in England on their website. It is new to me. This record is not from GRO.

• Advertisement

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    virginaB really hard o make out, hope someone can help.

What are the earliest records GRO have and where can I get earlier records
    Please and thanks.

Please read our sticky for this information.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement