Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Asst. Master.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

spurious wrote: »
    Asst. Master.

That's it, thanks! Just realised Its not the person I was looking for after all that though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Most of the death entries on this page have one of two words written after them that look like either statis or actatis.
    Does anyone know what they mean? (register is from Legan, Co. Longford)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Farmer.

Farmer.

Simple as that!:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hermy wrote: »
    Most of the death entries on this page have one of two words written after them that look like either statis or actatis.
    Does anyone know what they mean? (register is from Legan, Co. Longford)

aetatis would mean "aged" or "at the age of" -- otatis might just be a misspelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Aetas means 'age' and aetatis is its genitive singular, 'of age' - in the register shown it simply means that the individuals were aged as Lottpaul says. FWIW a farmer is agricola, often to be found in the alumni register of TCD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

'Tatis' is translated by google as 'farm' so I just put 2 and 2 together... apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7 roslyn000123

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me jumping in.. unfortunately I can't post links because I haven't had more than 50 posts.. admin has kindly offered to post the link for me.
    On the website Irishgenealogy.com my aunt who died in August 1934 at age 15, I can't understand a lot of the writing..
    I can make out were she died, her age, but for cause I can only make out TB, Cardiac but cannot make out the 2 other listed causes..
    Also under occupation it says
    us child? I've no idea why it says or means.. wonder if any of you guys could help?
    Any help is very much appreciated
    Roslyn

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1934/04839/4305413.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

'Tatis' is translated by google as 'farm' so I just put 2 and 2 together... apologies :o
    O fortunatis nimium, sua si bona norint, agricolas!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

http://i.imgur.com/ZO2SDTG.jpg

Another one please (the one on the 5th):

"5 married ??? ??? Daniel Ryan, Gooig, & Anna Moloney ???? ????????? ???? Mary Flynn ?????"

EDIT: Full page here: http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632633#page/119/mode/1up - 5 Feb 1865

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me jumping in.. unfortunately I can't post links because I haven't had more than 50 posts.. admin has kindly offered to post the link for me.
    On the website Irishgenealogy.com my aunt who died in August 1934 at age 15, I can't understand a lot of the writing..
    I can make out were she died, her age, but for cause I can only make out TB, Cardiac but cannot make out the 2 other listed causes..
    Also under occupation it says
    us child? I've no idea why it says or means.. wonder if any of you guys could help?
    Any help is very much appreciated
    Roslyn

Sarah Casey - 1934 Boyle ?

shanew wrote: »

date and place of death : 1934 14th Sept. 1934, Ardsallagh
    name & surname : Sarah Casey
    Sex : Female
    Condition: Spinster
    Reported Age : 15
    Rank, Profession or Occupation : daughter of farmer
    Cause of death and duration of illness : T.B. Kidney 1 year, cardiac failure, 4 days certified
    Informant, qualification and residence : Lizzie Casey, mother, present at death, Ardsallagh

think I've picked up some one else - just spotted you mentioned August...

I'll wait for the link...

shanew wrote: »
    date and place of death : 1934 14th Sept. 1934, Ardsallagh
    name & surname : Sarah Casey
    Sex : Female
    Condition: Spinster
    Reported Age : 15
    Rank, Profession or Occupation : daughter of farmer
    Cause of death and duration of illness : T.B. Kidney 1 year, cardiac failure, 4 days certified
    Informant, qualification and residence : Lizzie Casey, mother, present at death, Ardsallagh

think I've picked up some one else - just spotted you mentioned August...

I'll wait for the link...

Sorry I should have said Christina Roche, died in Dublin, August 1934 age 15

Sorry I should have put her name

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Christina Roche

Pulminary tuberculosis
    cardiac ?
    certified

Labourer's child - as in she had no occupation herself, but that's what her father did.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I actually found a few 15 year old girls that died from TB in that quarter of 1934..
    here's the link to the death of Christina Roche

cardiac syncope

Thanks so much, I appreciate that, your all so good, my eyes were going googly trying to read it about 3 weeks now..
    The family never agreed she had TB, she had just come from an industrial school, don't know why they signed off on TB when they believed something else caused her death..

Mod note: where possible, please link to the original whole page of the register in question. It helps to see other examples of the same handwriting.

Oceanclub: I can't make out yours: it's too small, can you post the full page link please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snobbles

Hi,
    Can anyone help me with the following marriage record please.

http://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000632399_079

It's for my g g grandparents wedding in Clonmacnoise.
    It's towards the bottom of the page for February 23rd 1865.
    Manus Galvin and Elleanorum Maguinnis?
    Witnesses Stephen Galvin and Marie Curley.
    Dispensation 4 et 4?
    Does this mean they were 3rd (blood) cousins?
    Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

oceanclub wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/ZO2SDTG.jpg

Another one please (the one on the 5th):

"5 married ??? ??? Daniel Ryan, Gooig, & Anna Moloney ???? ????????? ???? Mary Flynn ?????"

EDIT: Full page here: http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632633#page/119/mode/1up - 5 Feb 1865

P.

Married by Do. (which is the priest last named, Rev McCleary, further up the page), Daniel Ryan, Gooig and Anna Moloney, witnesses Edward Noctor?? and Mary Flynn, Ashroe.

**edit rootsireland have it as Edmond Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

snobbles wrote: »
    Hi,
    Dispensation 4 et 4?
    Does this mean they were 3rd (blood) cousins?
    Many thanks

Yes.

4th and 4th degrees of consanguinity (both four generations from common ancestors) = 3rd cousins.

So this is the 1911 Canadian census. I'm looking at a family third from bottom called McPartlin.

Particularly interested to see what people think the wife is called and the second child

John (husband "chef" in French)
    ?
    Anna
    ?
    Stuart
    Ernest

Transcription on FMP seems dodgy to me and they don't match what looks like the same family on 1901. I won't influence thoughts by telling you what they are though!

Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Gesse and Lizzie?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My guess ...

John Johan?
    Gesse 'G' based on a couple of other names on the page George
    Anna
    Liese the 's' is doubtful due to correction
    Stuart
    Emmet

Don't seem quite right :D

On second thoughts I think I concur with Johnboy - it's not Lizzie - it's Liese or something similar.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The years of birth don't match up with the stated ages. There may be lots of errors on it.

edit**
    The 1901 census lists
    John
    Jessie
    Annie
    and
    Elizabeth.

Yes, that's right - I was holding off showing what the 1901 said until a couple of people had responses.

There's some discrepancies: 1901 has exact DOBs but 1911 just has month year. The months match in every case but the years are off on some of those people.

I'm still inclined to think it's the same family on both though. I don't have an Ancestry sub at the moment so I can't compare theirs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Oh I'd say it's the same family alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Looks like Gesse and Lizze to me, the census taker's version of Jessie and Lizzie. Perhaps English was not his first language.

Advertisement