Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’d agree with VirginiaB on her take on the Census enumerator. He filled in that sheet bilingually – using a mixture of French and English. In the preceding entry he has fevrier, avril and august, while elsewhere he has ‘aout’, although missing the circumflex.
    In ‘French French’ ‘Chef’* is ‘head’, as in ‘head of family’ (not necessarily husband); ‘femme’ is wife. Informally one would say ‘ma femme’ / my wife (literally ‘my woman’), but formally or in a legal context one would say ‘mon épouse’. A wife would always say ‘mon epoux’ but never ‘mon homme’
    Canadian French is different (and without wishing to give offense to Tac Foley who posts here sometimes) so are the French Canadians!;)
    Au Canada, on n’a jamais un trou, toujours on a un flat!

*Chef the cook is from 'chef de cuisine' = head of [the] kitchen'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

any ideas for the name of the bride's father on this 1886 marriage ?
    I think it might start with a 'C'... for reference the full civil record is here, 2nd entry on the page, thanks
    414307.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wm for William?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I thought I saw an 'm' also - although a little sideways and squished, the first letter is a bit like the 'W' in White on the previous marriage..

It's also a bit like the D in Dublin on that previous marriage!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

looks like the registrar has an annoying habit of altering his letter structure - the 'S' in Stillorgan is formed two different ways on the same marriage... he's trying to make it complicated for me! Both are signed by J'[?] Boyce but the handwrting is a little different in some sections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am sure its William Farrell.

I looked at the entry before scrolling down and saw Wm Farrell

many thanks - I'm going with William, and putting it down as a strange 'W' at an angle

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭VirginiaB

How about C for Cornelius?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

looks like
    Honoriam Naughten Mathei et Anne Naughten spon..bus Joanne Naughten et Marg/ta Naughten http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633899#page/37/mode/1up
    father's name likely to be Mathew or Nathy....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snobbles

Can anyone help decipher babtismal entry for Hannoria Naughten, 13 April 1862.
    Thank you.

snobbles wrote: »
    Can anyone help decipher babtismal entry for Hannoria Naughten, 13 April 1862.
    Thank you.

see my attempt above

KildareFan wrote: »
    see my attempt above

Thank you... this is great. I think Mathew or variation is good.
    Sorry .. I posted twice.
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I was wondering if you would be able to make out this person's cause of death. The last bit is anaemia and old age but I can't make out the first two words. I'm not going to say what I think they look like yet. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Amycardial Toxaemia?

spurious wrote: »
    Amycardial Toxaemia?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah to me, the first word looks like amycardial but I don't think that there' such a thing.

Toxaemia sounds right but it looks like an 'n' instead of an 'x'. It looks like tonaemia. When I looked that up, a correction came up of ketonaemia. This is where I'm afraid that I'll create bias. His son had diabetes so maybe it is ketonaemia. Maybe, the person registering the deaths wasn't very clear on medical terms and wrote what he heard? I'm not sure.

Going by that, maybe the first word is myocardial and it's supposed to be myocardial infarction. I'm not sure and I don't really want to assume things.

Here's the link to the record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1965/04240/4086778.pdf
    Just in case you want to compare handwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

srmf5 wrote: »
    the first word looks like amycardial but I don't think that there' such a thing.

That is probably a mistranscription by the lay assistant registrar.

It may be myocardial, but this word would only go well with infarction, and anyway in 1965 most doctors and people used the term coronary thrombosis instead of myocardial infarction.
    It is also possible that the "a" may be separate from "cardial".
    I would strongly suspect that the asst reg could not read the medical certificate of the cause of death and took a guess. It is not the only error on this page.

Sorry I cannot give any positive diagnosis.

tabbey wrote: »
    That is probably a mistranscription by the lay assistant registrar.

It may be myocardial, but this word would only go well with infarction, and anyway in 1965 most doctors and people used the term coronary thrombosis instead of myocardial infarction.
    It is also possible that the "a" may be separate from "cardial".
    I would strongly suspect that the asst reg could not read the medical certificate of the cause of death and took a guess. It is not the only error on this page.

Sorry I cannot give any positive diagnosis.

Thanks for your input. It definitely does seem like he had a heart attack or something like that. I'm not sure if the 'tonaemia' is to do with that or something separate. I'd say that your theory is right and it's definitely not the only mistake. Besides from the pyelonephritis being spelt wrong, the man that I'm asking about was a widower at the time of death.

Can any one help decipher entries for 21st March 1857. There are two babtismal entries for this date. The first one looks like Ellen ? Kelly. Parents joannis and ? Kelly. Sponsors Pat and ? Hatton Naughton.
    Second entry. .Bri? Kelly.. joannis and ? Naughton. Sponsors Pat and ? Kelly.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

What parish?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    What parish?

Sorry ... it is Dysart parish, Elphin diocese.
    Many thanks.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633899#page/19/mode/1up

Looks to be twins.
    Eleanor Kelly of Joannis et H____ Naughton sponsors Pat Naughton et Hatten Naughton

Brigid Kelly of Joannis et H____ Naughton sponsors Pat Naughton Margaret Kelly

I'm stuck on the mothers forename and the second sponsor for the first entry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633899#page/19/mode/1up

Looks to be twins.

I'm stuck on the mothers forename and the second sponsor for the first entry.

Thank you for input. I think your correct on it. It's great to get another opinion. Really appreciate it.

Would the mother be something like Heidi?
    Maybe Hatten should be Hester or Henrietta?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like Alicia and Hatten?

Mother's name looks like Alicias or Aliciaz, Hatten is very clearly written.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Mother's name looks like Alicias or Aliciaz...
    spurious wrote: »
    Looks like Alicia...

I see that now. Spot on!

Genealogy Forum Mod

I see that now. Spot on!

Yes.. it looks like Alicia.
    Hatton seems to be correct but it's a very unusual name for rural Roscommon in the 1800s!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

snobbles wrote: »
    Yes.. it looks like Alicia.
    Hatton seems to be correct
    Thanks
    Agreed; also, the margin note is interesting – the clerk probably means gemellae/gemellas / twins but it looks like ‘gaminas’ which is quite different (urchins).

Advertisement