Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

sick of looking at the adulation for this old git...it's sport not nostalgia

Well turn off - everyone else is done and the rest of us will enjoy the reception Mr Watson deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Very sorry, but I don't agree. The guy is a legend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Comments like that are not welcome around here. One more and you'll be having a break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That man is a genius. And a gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Sport is nostalgia.

It's why when we talk about current performances we always evaluate it against the greatest player ever, greatest performance ever, greatest duel ever, etc.

Without that yardstick things become irrelevant.

Sport is nostalgia.

Enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Els and Snedeker for continuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Love Tom Watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not a huge golf fan, but I'm glad they let Tom finish, and get a great reception. Would have been unfair and unjust to make him finish off early in the morning, and to probably a small and muted crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In fairness you're entitled to your opinion but why would you think him an old git?
    Yes he is old but this is a golf forum and he is undoubtedly one of the greats, came over from the US not liking links and won The Open 5 times in less than 10 years, not to mention his 2009 almost and all the other Majors and tournaments he has won around the world and all the time never being anything other than a gentleman.
    If you think him a git - first I've ever heard of someone thinking that of Watson - then at least bear with the rest of us as we celebrate what he has achieved in The Open and the joy of wishing him all the best...

watsonturnberry77.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No. But if they won they dont recieve prizemoney

Just to add, they get the ranking points though!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Keano wrote: »
    Comments like that are not welcome around here. One more and you'll be having a break

Little bit excessive, no? There's not a single other sport where professional elite athletes are held up by old timers that are at this stage treble their age that can never even come close to competing. It's ridiculous in an age of amazing elite athleticism and talent that players should have put up with that nonsense, gentleman or not it doesn't matter.

And all the golfers were not in, Els made the cut by one stroke and clearly dropped a shot due to conditions and distractions...all in the name of nostalgia and having Watson have his moment...again.

Threatening a ban for trolling is fair enough but I'm making a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Little bit excessive, no? There's not a single other sport where professional elite athletes are held up by old timers that are at this stage treble their age that can never even come close to competing. It's ridiculous in an age of amazing elite athleticism and talent that players should have put up with that nonsense, gentleman or not it doesn't matter.

And all the golfers were not in, Els made the cut by one stroke and clearly dropped a shot due to conditions and distractions...all in the name of nostalgia and having Watson have his moment...again.

Did you not see the big hullabaloo with Gerrard leaving liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And that is why many enjoy the sport. It is a sign of respect is all, nothing to get wound up about.

As for the day of golf, spent most of it travelling so didn't see much, wedding tomorrow will limit the viewing time too but constant updates. Hope Dunne continues the good form.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

if you've said you were sick of the Watson love-in that's fine but old git isn't language we want around here.

If you want to discuss it more drop me a PM

ForeRight wrote: »
    Did you not see the big hullabaloo with Gerrard leaving liverpool?

I did, what in sweet Jesus could that have to do with the point I was trying to make? If what you are tying to say is that it's about respect for the player and a nice send off and thanks blah blah then you've clearly missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Are BBC showing them teeing off at 7 in the morning?

accap1f8 wrote: »

Yep, bless 'em! It's come up on my Sky planner. BBC2 from 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Little bit excessive, no? There's not a single other sport where professional elite athletes are held up by old timers that are at this stage treble their age that can never even come close to competing.

Actually he made the cut at the open in four of the last seven years and as recently as last year so, while it didn't happen for him this week, he has been competitive despite his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

accap1f8 wrote: »

Yes. As announced on their BBC4 coverage :eek: (yes I was surprised to see it there as well), just before 10 this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

You have valid points but the wrong target imho; Tom Watson continues to be an active professional golfer, nearly won the thing 6 years ago and made the cut last year, the age limit rule was changed because he was still competitive...now Nick Faldo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Only 10 eagles in the whole tournament so far and 4 have been on par 4's,

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Kenny B wrote: »
    Only 10 eagles in the whole tournament so far and 4 have been on par 4's,

This is a stat that needs a context. St Andrew's only has two par 5s. Comparing stats here with a standard tour course is like comparing apples with y-fronts.

cairny wrote: »
    You have valid points but the wrong target imho; Tom Watson continues to be an active professional golfer, nearly won the thing 6 years ago and made the cut last year, the age limit rule was changed because he was still competitive...now Nick Faldo...

Isnt that the point "nearly won"? It isn't really an argument to have them compete. it's a four day event for a reason and there's s reason why the senior players with ability capitulate on the final day or long before that, it's too just too much. The oldest ever major winner was 48 years old back in the 60's. It's a lot more physical now and admittedly I could never say but I doubt that will ever get any less than 48. I just don't see the point, its nothing more than old boy golfing tradition which is embedded in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

thewobbler wrote: »
    This is a stat that needs a context. St Andrew's only has two par 5s. Comparing stats here with a standard tour course is like comparing apples with y-fronts.

It needs no context as I made no comparison, just pointing it out that of the 2 pars 5's on course one has not been eagled and the other which is a fairly standard P5 has had only 6 eagles in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yep, bless 'em! It's come up on my Sky planner. BBC2 from 7.

Wouldn't see that on sky. Be 2 hours of tight lines. The wrestling and then the golf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Keano wrote: »

With all due respects to you, Keano, that sounds like something you might hear in Alabama back in the '50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Isnt that the point "nearly won"? It isn't really an argument to have them compete. it's a four day event for a reason and there's s reason why the senior players with ability capitulate on the final day or long before that, it's too just too much. The oldest ever major winner was 48 years old back in the 60's. It's a lot more physical now and admittedly I could never say but I doubt that will ever get any less than 48. I just don't see the point, its nothing more than old boy golfing tradition which is embedded in golf.

There are lots of stiffs in every tournament. You have a valid point but why not take it out on someone else. Watson won this 5 times. There is a whole thread about Shane Lowry and I dont rate him at all. I usually ignore it, but posted in it last week when he had a bad 3rd round in Scotland. Ian Poulter is another one. Loads of publicity and does nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Wind:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Tugboats wrote: »
    Wind:cool:

It's only a light breeze :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

:D

Advertisement