Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocket League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

The guys who are quick to moan are usually crap themselves.

I had a guy calling me a noob after I had missed goal, we were 4-2 down, I had scored 2 goals and had 5 saves....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

BizzyC wrote: »
    The guys who are quick to moan are usually crap themselves.

I had a guy calling me a noob after I had missed goal, we were 4-2 down, I had scored 2 goals and had 5 saves....

They tend to be the ones who have not learned how to anticipate where the ball is going to be and still chase it around the pitch, then usually end up ruining your carefully aligned shots with their blind need to touch the ball all the time, then blaming you for missing the shot or hilariously for getting in their way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Had some guy lose the rag last night after I blasted his trickling shot, that was most definitely going to be cleared, into the goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My pet hate are the ones that vote to forfeit as soon as you concede a goal.

Liking the option to find another ranked match in the new update. Beats having to quit to the main menu anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Give away 2 goals in a 1-1 round. Spam the chat thing with "****"s...seriously around 30 of them over a few minutes. Opponent says "Just Rage Quit" with a wink smiley. Big Mistake. Resurgence building in my blood. Win 3-2. Ecstasy!

To be honest. I win every second game now. Not enough to move anywhere in the ranks and I really want to get to the top in case they give out a reward or something (which I think they are). Set up two goals for one lad after a hell of a lot of effort. He then complains we're losing; "I have more points" he says...yeah, because you just tap the ****ing ball in ya prick. I'm setting you up. Drives me wild.

I do not know how to get better at this game. Seriously. I'm meandering in bronze, sometimes eeking into silver. I usually begin to figure a game out, not this. 40 hours in and non the wiser.

It's really hit and miss with me. Sometimes I'll go on and nail it, top scoring every game, pulling off great saves, others I'll be flipping around like a pleb missing the ball.
    It's a game you really have to be in the mood for.

Does anybody else get the bug where you lose the sound at the start of a match then it hangs on a loading screen when you have to go back to the main menu?
    A restart of the game seems to be the only way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

yea exact same here, feels like i can't miss an aerial, everything I do is right. Took a break and came back a couple hours later I was so bad I was getting abuse. Ye just get in the zone sometimes and the rest of time I'm left wondering how I played well at all

• Advertisement

Tired if everyone flapping around in the air like halfwits when they cant get fundamental stuff right.

All good teams have a perm keeper now I'm finding. Hard to score. I'm 40 or so away from gold ranking now. Silver was tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Hadnt played this for about a month and came back to it last week. Dont know whats happened but i've been playing terrible. Lost every single match i've played. Dont know if everyones gotten better or i've gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I've changed my camera settings today. Makes a big difference to my play, have a look at Kronovi's tutorials Episode 2 on Youtube for some ideas.

The main one is Field of Vision, crank that up to the last. I'm attacking and defending much better now thanks to being able to see the play better. Barely using the right analog too.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Ive been back at it recently and noticed the ranked games being much better skill wise. If I have a good team, we dominate, if I get paired with mediocre players, we get annihilated, it is rare (but brilliant) if we get a balanced game. I seem to be paired with really bad players all the time though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Took a 1 week break and cannot get to grips with it again, not sure if its me or just not being paired with the right players but im continuously getting annihilated in doubles. Before the start of season one i was in the high 700's now im just dropping through the mid 300's without any sign of getting better

Might switch back to 3v3 to see if im any better there

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

VinLieger wrote: »
    Took a 1 week break and cannot get to grips with it again, not sure if its me or just not being paired with the right players but im continuously getting annihilated in doubles. Before the start of season one i was in the high 700's now im just dropping through the mid 300's without any sign of getting better

Might switch back to 3v3 to see if im any better there

Been similar, though I've only been doing solo 3v3.

I was maintaining a 700 score, maybe slowly progressing.

Now I'm dropping below 500.

Similar trend to me. It may be the rejigging of the matchmaking/ranking recently? But I have been playing not so good lately

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just in case anyone doesn't already know, the PC Gaming forum also has an active RL thread.

I was just playing solo standard, 5-1 up and 2 opposition players quit so I joined the other guy to make it 2v2. We ended up coming back to win it 6-5 :)
    Well, really I lost but it was fun anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

im in no way shape or form a football fan but I love games and i REALLY love driving games and I was SO disappointed with this game. from what I could tell both playing it myself and watching my mate playing theres no skill involved whatsoever. Game starts, 2 team all boost at the ball, ball flys off in random direction and someone happens upon the right angle to hit it towards a goalpost. I'd much prefer to play either a proper racing game or proper football game and I'd sooner play hide the salami with bruce jenner than play a football game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

im in no way shape or form a football fan but I love games and i REALLY love driving games and I was SO disappointed with this game. from what I could tell both playing it myself and watching my mate playing theres no skill involved whatsoever.

That just means that your mate and you aren't very skilled. I've 440 games and 440 goals yet consider myself pretty much a noob compared to the people who can really play this.

That doesn't mean though that RL isn't a game for you. But to say that all is random is to not understand what is possible with training/practice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

im in no way shape or form a football fan but I love games and i REALLY love driving games and I was SO disappointed with this game. from what I could tell both playing it myself and watching my mate playing theres no skill involved whatsoever. Game starts, 2 team all boost at the ball, ball flys off in random direction and someone happens upon the right angle to hit it towards a goalpost. I'd much prefer to play either a proper racing game or proper football game and I'd sooner play hide the salami with bruce jenner than play a football game

The skill gap is very, very much there between newbs and good players.

I've just finished a full game with zero points. Not even at my clumsiest first few games have I ever even came close to doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I've played 315 games, scored 970 goals. Still wouldn't consider myself good, I lose pretty much all the time.

RossieMan wrote: »
    I've played 315 games, scored 970 goals. Still wouldn't consider myself good, I lose pretty much all the time.

That's insane! I have similar games played but only a third the goals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I still getting hammered in most of my games. I haven't played much the last few weeks, so can only imagine how bad I'd be if I went on now. Any up for as few games lasted today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Oh, you are SO wrong with that statement.

This game seems simple on the surface but has an incredible amount of depth. Watch the eSports guys playing the game and tell me you can pull something similar off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's analogous to soccer in so many ways. How you touch and impact the ball is important. Moreover, the fact you're controlling a car means speed and momentum are far more significant factors to take into account. Everything from the car you select, to the speed and height you opt to "jump" when you hit the ball impacts where the ball will go. Loads of newbies think it's all about hitting the ball at full speed that way you beat others to it. It's not. Control the pace of your acceleration and the crucial timing of your boosts, all while keeping track of where the ball is, where it's going to be when your car get's there takes an unreal amount of dexterity and coordination. Doing this will actually make it feel more and more like some strange soccer hybrid. You can lay the ball off for other teammates, play them into space. You can tactically bash other cars out the way. There is a hell of lot of depth to the ground play.
    And that's before you even getting into the aerial aspects of the game..
    This game involves a bucketload of skill, tactics and feints.

Something driving me mental at the moment is the matchmaking. Got the same pro and semi--pro in my team 3 or 4 times in a row, lost all of them. How the **** do they rank same as me, I'm almost gold?

Can't enjoy it when they're making basic mistake after basic mistake. And it happens quite often that I get players like that, in fact it's a rarity I have two other competent players. I was almost gold, so it couldnt be that my rank is so bad I'm getting players like that surely?

• Advertisement

People who stay on to the end in a 3 v 1 situation :mad:

Advertisement