Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2015 Stage 4 Seriang - Cambrai (cobbles) *contains unmasked spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

check_six wrote: »
    Huh? I thought Tony Martin is going into yellow now?

Or am I just having a whoosh moment here?

I know my understanding of betting is pretty bad, but I too was wondering how he could have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Tony Martin is in yellow alright.

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/us/stage-4/classifications.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Alexander Kristoff
    CJUoKMfWIAAF3Yh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Value for money implies the bet didn't win but, well, you got your money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thibaut Pinot should be going for it now too

If he stops throwing tantrums :D

• Advertisement

Alexander Kristoff
    Pudsy33 wrote: »

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what attitude he brings to the rest of the tour now. He has lost interest in the past when GC chances have ended prematurely for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Talansky must be the protected rider for Garmin now, prob with dan as a dom.
    May be allowed off the leash to attempt a few stage victories, doubt he'll be allowed to go for the polka dot jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

retalivity wrote: »
    Talansky must be the protected rider for Garmin now, prob with dan as a dom.
    May be allowed off the leash to attempt a few stage victories, doubt he'll be allowed to go for the polka dot jersey

Can't imagine they'll keep him on a leash tbh, the way Garmin operate I reckon they'll value stage wins over an anonymous top 20. Fingers crossed they let him attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Value for money implies the bet didn't win but, well, you got your money's worth.

Hmm,... I see,... I think. You bet, but you didn't get any money back, right?

I'm really out of my depth here!
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I know my understanding of betting is pretty bad, but I too was wondering how he could have won.

No trips to Vegas for us anytime soon I suppose!

Or maybe our unconventional "try to put money on the thing that wins, and fun bedamned" system could work in our favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

With 14km to go, Tony Martin and Sep Vanmarcke rejoined the lead group after their respective punctures.

Vanmarcke finished 7'03" behind Martin.

I'm presuming he had another mechanical. And also went for a pint in the nearest pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

With 14km to go, Tony Martin and Sep Vanmarcke rejoined the lead group after their respective punctures.

Vanmarcke finished 7'03" behind Martin.

I'm presuming he had another mechanical. And also went for a pint in the nearest pub.

A pint-size pint, or one of those funny wee glasses with the big head of foam the continental types seem to favour?

Alexander Kristoff
    According to Fleche, Contador rode the last 25k with a broken rear wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Alexander Kristoff
    A pint-size pint, or one of those funny wee glasses with the big head of foam the continental types seem to favour?

Perhaps a Kronenberg 1664...

(synonymous with early 90s channel 4 tour coverage)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Andre Greipel
    Pudsy33 wrote: »

I can't get over his behaviour. He's an absolute disgrace. Take the team mates bike and get on with it. Big baby.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

According to Fleche, Contador rode the last 25k with a broken rear wheel.

Eurosport showed the wheel when it was up on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Zdenek Stybar
    I can't see Dan going for KOM jersey . He will have to support Talansky but there are also stages he can win like stage 8

A stage or 2 would certainly be better than top 10 anyway.
    Look at last year , Majka was a sensation with 2 stage wins while I bet no one remembers who was number 6 to 10 on GC

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Peter Sagan
    Absolutely delighted for Tony Martin who has become my favourite cyclist. The man just puts so much effort into being the best that he can be and he is so full of heart, it's just a pity he isn't a great climber because he'd win everything if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Brian? wrote: »
    I can't get over his behaviour. He's an absolute disgrace. Take the team mates bike and get on with it. Big baby.

Yeah, thats exactly what Tony Martin did, and look where he finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SummerRebel

Brian? wrote: »

Why was he screaming at the mechanic at the side of the road??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

delighted for Martin (Tony) sad for Martin ( Dan) ... Pinot had a meltdown ha! hope Dan targets stages and maybe KOM - he gets no luck! if it rained today there would have been carnage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Zdenek Stybar
    Nico must be a relieved man... Operation Get-Froome-Over-The-Cobbles completed...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SummerRebel

Why was he screaming at the mechanic at the side of the road??

OK according to L'Equipe, his electronic gearing broke and he was stuck on a high chainring. He didn't want to get on his teammates bike (Mattieu Landagnous) because it was too big for him. His teamcar was 13 cars back and took time to get him a replacement bike.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Thibaut-pinot-parle-de-nouveaux-objectifs-apres-l-etape-des-paves/572555

He could have continued until it got closer?

Zdenek Stybar
    Tony Martin took Trentin's bike and the differential immeasurements between these two riders was greater than the difference between Pinot and his teammate

Also Degenkolb threw a strop after the finish line its seems

All understandable I feel. . These guys are under so much pressure to win by team, fans & country

Zdenek Stybar
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Nico must be a relieved man... Operation Get-Froome-Over-The-Cobbles completed...

He did a great job today I must say. He came back after every pave section to go to the front to get Froome and Thomas on to the next section on the front. Must be knackered

MPFG wrote: »
    Tony Martin took Trentin's bike and the differential immeasurements between these two riders was greater than the difference between Pinot and his teammate

Also Degenkolb threw a strop after the finish line its seems

All understandable I feel. . These guys are under so much pressure to win by team, fans & country

Tony Martin is 6'1" and Matteo Trentin is 5'10" so there must have been fcuk all difference in height between Pinot and his team mate then.

Zdenek Stybar
    Tony Martin is 6'1" and Matteo Trentin is 5'10" so there must have been fcuk all difference in height between Pinot and his team mate then.

Jens Hagström ‏@jenscer 2h2 hours ago
    Interesting numbers of the day:
    Pinot= 180cm
    Ladagnous= 182cm

Tony M = 185cm
    Trentin = 179cm

Did T Martin keep his team mates bike to the finish? I never noticed him switching again but I was doing other stuff so may have missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Did T Martin keep his team mates bike to the finish? I never noticed him switching again but I was doing other stuff so may have missed it.
    Yep he won on his team mates bike. Makes it even more impressive.

Advertisement