Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Looks to be a case of buy cheap, buy twice.
    Probably best to stick to the new Moto G, at least you know it works and will get updates.
    Because Sammy's, Apples, HTCs etc never have had a few phones with issues:rolleyes:

Happy with mine, so is the other half...fantastic phone for the money. Of course there will be some phones with issues ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I have it a few weeks now & find it a lot faster than my previous phone, moto g 2nd Gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

jgbyr wrote: »
    I have it a few weeks now & find it a lot faster than my previous phone, moto g 2nd Gen.

How do you find it to hold versus the Moto G?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

deiseach wrote: »
    How do you find it to hold versus the Moto G?

It's a thinner phone & not as heavy as the moto g. I don't find it too big but then I hold the phone in one hand & text /scroll with the other. If you use just one hand it might be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

CyberGhost wrote: »
    It crashed and reset with artefacts on the screen again. I think it's for good this time, it won't power on.

I managed to grab a blurry shot of it mid crash...

http://i.imgur.com/wlp8hHe.jpg

There were artefacts, then the strange white lines (pic above) and then it turned off.

Try the recovery (hold power button and volume up button) and then choose 'reboot' - maybe that will clear it?

• Advertisement

am glad they didnt choose MTK processor for this phone, too many cheap budget china phones using this chip these days

Have moved up from the samsung galaxy note 1 N7000 - one thing I cannot get my head around is that GSM Arena reports the Note1 with a 5.3 inches and I liked the size of the note1 ... but then I gets this Vodafone Ultra 6 which GSM arena states as having 5.5 inches , so i think well thats ok because it will just be that little bit bigger (I dont mind phablet phones) - but now I have the VFSU6 I actually think it looks and feels narrower upright but its taller - all in all size wise I like the galaxy note better, but like the battery stamina better on the VFSU6 and the camera and the screen and responsiveness.... mind you saying that if my Galaxy note had better battery life and a charging notification LED I would much prefefred to hold onto my note1 especially after putting CM10 on it which made it a lot more responsive than the samsung stock android.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Try the recovery (hold power button and volume up button) and then choose 'reboot' - maybe that will clear it?

Is a reboot the same as a factory reset? The notification light still isn't working for me even after a reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Be careful - factory reset will wipe it and return it back to out of the box state.
    You'll then have to reinstall any apps that you need and reconfigure any settings changes that you made.
    You probably don't want to do that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

If it aint working bring it back to the shop for a refund or exchange for new phone, don't take no for a answer

• Advertisement

TM wrote: »
    Be careful - factory reset will wipe it and return it back to out of the box state.
    You'll then have to reinstall any apps that you need and reconfigure any settings changes that you made.
    You probably don't want to do that?

Went through all that last night and no luck with the notification light. Back to the shop tomorrow for a new one. Had a bit of a heart attack today looking for the receipt but have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Got one yesterday must say very happy with it. Now just to get a good case for it

is anyone else having problems with their middle home button and right 'recent' button not working tempoarilily - the left 'back' button works when the other buttons stop working. and when i shut down and restart the phone they all work again

Back to Vodafone store today. Picked up my 2nd ultra and guess what? Notification light ain't working on this one either! Tried the Dropbox widget but no good.
    Seriously peed off. Back again tomorrow. Not going to bother reset this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

dedaw wrote: »
    Back to Vodafone store today. Picked up my 2nd ultra and guess what? Notification light ain't working on this one either! Tried the Dropbox widget but no good.

When is it supposed to work? I don't think it works on mine (nor the 1st one I had)

I think as someone mentioned restoring your google account breaks the notification light. When you download the moto g widget you are placing it on the home screen as a widget and turning it on (until green underneath it) are ye?

I did the account restore so that sounds possible.
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    There's a glitch in the google restore process.

Install this widget,enable notification light in it and then uninstall it. Should be fixed then.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzq9l32xdkptqyw/com.motorola.ledwidget-0.apk?dl=0

I did this and now it works.

1) Download the file
    2) Plug your Smart Ultra 6 into your computer using USB cable
    3) Copy the file onto any folder on the phone
    4) Open file manager on your phone, locate the file and tap on it
    5) Install it (you may be asked to enable unknown sources in the settings)
    6) Go back to the home screen, tap and hold anywhere, tap on widgets, find "Notification light" and drag & drop it on the home screen
    7) Tap on it to enable/disable it

:)

I think as someone mentioned restoring your google account breaks the notification light. When you download the moto g widget you are placing it on the home screen as a widget and turning it on (until green underneath it) are ye?

Yes I restored my google account each time but surely everyone was?
    The Dropbox widget was only in the options on Dropbox, not on the home screen. It just gives me the option to install, and nothing else.

Did you try downloading it from your phone? Try my instructions in the post above.

Yes I restored my google account each time but surely everyone was?
    The Dropbox widget was only in the options on Dropbox, not on the home screen. It just gives me the option to install, and nothing else.

yes thats because once its installed its installed on your phone as any other widget you download to your phone, You have to long press on blank space on the homescreen and choose the widget then drag it onto your home screen. Its not an app, its a homescreen widget

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote:
    Did you try downloading it from your phone? Try my instructions in the post above.

Sorted, thanks mate. Legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Has this thread been mentioned before?

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057460976

Apologies if it has been!

This one is also in a similar vein:

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375511-fixed-pulse-notifications/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Got my ultra back , they replaced the screen so its looking good now. The screen had totaly died on it soon after getting burn in issues. No more weird burn in from the task bar anymore. I installed Nova to hide the task bar and using immersion mode on cm browser to minimise any possibility of future burn in. Gonna keep the brightness below the half way point unless absolutely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I thought burn in was very rare on a LCD screen?

digitaldr wrote: »
    I thought burn in was very rare on a LCD screen?

So they say, but the carrier name along with the battery meter and signal bar got burned in on mine. Carrier name was particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Interesting. I always find a good way to check for burn in problems is to have a look at the store demo phones although the ultra 6 probably isn't out long enough. Had a loook at some older model Samsung Galaxys in the Vodafone shop today-really bad burn in.

digitaldr wrote: »
    Interesting. I always find a good way to check for burn in problems is to have a look at the store demo phones although the ultra 6 probably isn't out long enough. Had a loook at some older model Samsung Galaxys in the Vodafone shop today-really bad burn in.

I seen the note 4 in Vodafone which had really iffy burn in. Phones are on day in day out so I suppose its bound to happen to those demo models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

I've the various colours available for the cases if anyone needs them. 4 euro each delivered and if paying via paypal, its 4.50 euro.

Colours available are yellow, white, pink, purple, green, orange, light blue, dark blue, red and black.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

craigpetty wrote: »
    That phone will be awesome if you root it with androidroot.

You're starting to get a bit repetitive. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I know a good bit about phone specs, but not much about phones themselves. So I sound like an absolute noob here:

I went into the vodafone shop asking about this phone saying it was for a friend (it was for me though). The woman there said the smart ultra 6 only works with vodafone SIM cards. I'm on 48 and don't want to change over. But reading over the comments in this thread, I want to know if the following are true:

I can buy the phone in the shop for 170 quid and
    1) take the vodafone sim they give me and throw it away
    2) get the unlock code from the link in the op
    3) put in my 48 nano sim when it arrives and set up internet etc. and it'll work grand like any other phone

There's no way they can lock in the vodafone sim card or force me to buy credit or anything, is there?

Advertisement