Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Debs86

Hi guys,

I sat phase one on the 21st Dec, has anybody from that day heard anything back yet, if they passed or not. I see some people from previous assesment days have a date for phase 2 so I’m getting abit worried now I didn’t pass.

Any advise would be great

Thank you
    Debbie

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beebop20

Tests postponed, just got an email

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Debs86 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I sat phase one on the 21st Dec, has anybody from that day heard anything back yet, if they passed or not. I see some people from previous assesment days have a date for phase 2 so I’m getting abit worried now I didn’t pass.

Any advise would be great

Thank you
    Debbie

I just got email to say I passed phase 1. However as has been said here already, phase 2 postponed.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Debs86

I just got email to say I passed phase 1. However as has been said here already, phase 2 postponed.

All the best.

Thanks for the reply 😊 I passed too 🙌🼠Thank god, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Got an email from Iarnrod Eireann HR this evening...

Got the pass email back at the end of september for the SCAAT's and LM SJT and now this:
    Thank you for your application to the Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail Train Driver campaign launched in September 2020.

We received a tremendous applicant response and so it is with sincere congratulations that we advise you have reached the online assessment standard which allows you to be placed in a pool of candidates eligible for face to face assessment centres. In light of the applicant volume and the safety critical assessment standard set the online assessment phase tends to be of a high competitive calibre and so your performance should be acknowledged proudly

Went on to say they will be inviting candidates forward on location priority basis as driven by the business requirements, current demand is for Dublin so could be waiting up to 24 months for the next phase. I applied for Athlone!

• Advertisement

Got an email from Iarnrod Eireann HR this evening...

Got the pass email back at the end of september for the SCAAT's and LM SJT and now this:

Went on to say they will be inviting candidates forward on location priority basis as driven by the business requirements, current demand is for Dublin so could be waiting up to 24 months for the next phase. I applied for Athlone!

Got the same myself based in athlone also so I guess it's just a waiting game and hope the need for athlone drivers comes soon😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Got the same myself based in athlone also so I guess it's just a waiting game and hope the need for athlone drivers comes soon😂😂

Unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gerrykelly56

So have you guys done phase 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

So have you guys done phase 1?

Read the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Unlikely

Thats a shame. Do you think Cork is any more likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Thats a shame. Do you think Cork is any more likely?

More likely than Athlone because

1 probably double or more the amount of drivers in Cork not completely sure.
    2 more service expansion potential.

I know a Cork have recruited lately though.
    I think the age profile in both depots is fairly young with not a lot of retirements over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

More likely than Athlone because

1 probably double or more the amount of drivers in Cork not completely sure.
    2 more service expansion potential.

I know a Cork have recruited lately though.
    I think the age profile in both depots is fairly young with not a lot of retirements over the next few years.

Thanks for that. I know they hired recently, a lad on heres mate got it I'd say I just missed the boat, er, train.

Still, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

Any of ye inhouse ? Was platform job for westport a few months ago, went for it and heard nothing back. Just wondering if ye know anything about it ? Probably filled now by now.. Think tullamore was in the circular with it, anyone hear anything about that ? Was gonna apply for it but didn't in the end, wish I did now to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    Any of ye inhouse ? Was platform job for westport a few months ago, went for it and heard nothing back. Just wondering if ye know anything about it ? Probably filled now by now.. Think tullamore was in the circular with it, anyone hear anything about that ? Was gonna apply for it but didn't in the end, wish I did now to be honest

Send them an email. The communication is shocking and a lot of them jobs are already earmarked for somone but they have to advertise them anyway. . After saying that, you are still in the mix until you get the letter confirming either way. With most of HR working from home then those letters may be a while going out.
    Give Westport a call, they might tell you if the job was filled.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Send them an email. The communication is shocking and a lot of them jobs are already earmarked for somone but they have to advertise them anyway. . After saying that, you are still in the mix until you get the letter confirming either way. With most of HR working from home then those letters may be a while going out.
    Give Westport a call, they might tell you if the job was filled.

Ahhh HR are a joke.

Everything takes ages, very annoying when going for a job...

Ya I might give westport a ring no harm in asking.

You didn't hear anything about the tullamore job either ?

In hindsight I should have gone for it, dont think alot of people would be in for it.

Also one of the lads is in for a cso job in tralee, training is surely cancelled at the moment?

Appreciate the help

Ahhh HR are a joke.

Everything takes ages, very annoying when going for a job...

Ya I might give westport a ring no harm in asking.

You didn't hear anything about the tullamore job either ?

In hindsight I should have gone for it, dont think alot of people would be in for it.

Also one of the lads is in for a cso job in tralee, training is surely cancelled at the moment?

Appreciate the help

Nearly went for the tralee one as I fancy relocating but I'm crap with money. A lot of the rpu staff have transferred to that role.
    I got a new job 2 years ago and still haven't moved and still ghosted by HR . Dont think I want it now.

Nearly went for the tralee one as I fancy relocating but I'm crap with money. A lot of the rpu staff have transferred to that role.
    I got a new job 2 years ago and still haven't moved and still ghosted by HR . Dont think I want it now.

Ya HR are a joke, I'm a temporary contract at the moment, need another job to be appointed. Mad to buy a house, pain in the hole

Ya HR are a joke, I'm a temporary contract at the moment, need another job to be appointed. Mad to buy a house, pain in the hole

I started on a 3 month contract. It was 7 years before I got appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I applied for a role a while back.... my dealings with HR put me completely off working for IR

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I started on a 3 month contract. It was 7 years before I got appointed.

After 4 years or two successive fixed-term contracts you have the job full-time/permanently by law. Not surprised to see poor HR departments pretend that's not the case.

The idea of a few days off between contracts doesn't wash either, though I've seen an employer convinced it did quite recently. Any successive contract within 90 days is considered to be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheShepard

Unlikely

I'm pretty sure they need drivers..

L1011 wrote: »
    After 4 years or two successive fixed-term contracts you have the job full-time/permanently by law. Not surprised to see poor HR departments pretend that's not the case.

The idea of a few days off between contracts doesn't wash either, though I've seen an employer convinced it did quite recently. Any successive contract within 90 days is considered to be the same.

This was a long time ago and I was clued up about it. .

This was a long time ago and I was clued up about it. .

Ya I am a gatekeeper in limerick. On the gates since June 2019, so long way to go before the 4 years, and the gates are going in limerick this year id imagine, so not looking good.

But ya HR are a disgrace, been for multiple jobs, one in cork, the lads had started the job 3 months by time I received an unsuccessful email. Very frustrating.

Anyone know is cso training in still taking place or is it all postponed due to covid ?

Their a fine company to work for, never any hassle, but HR are disgrace

Ya I am a gatekeeper in limerick. On the gates since June 2019, so long way to go before the 4 years, and the gates are going in limerick this year id imagine, so not looking good.

But ya HR are a disgrace, been for multiple jobs, one in cork, the lads had started the job 3 months by time I received an unsuccessful email. Very frustrating.

Anyone know is cso training in still taking place or is it all postponed due to covid ?

Just keep your head down I'd say you will get sorted. It would be different if you was taken on for a project with a set time frame .

Just keep your head down I'd say you will get sorted. It would be different if you was taken on for a project with a set time frame .

If you don't mind me asking, where are you based ?

Its just i saw online a train host in cork retired before xmas and the job hasn't been advertised.

Wouldnt mind moving to cork.

Its all pull anyway so probably wouldn't even get it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Have they told you this?

If they are its unlikely they would get them all gone this year or have the funding available for it. With Covid-19 not sure they will be focusing to much on these costly projects.

Id say most crossing funding will be tied up on Cork mainline upgrades later this year and next year if they go ahead as planned.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Have they told you this?

If they are its unlikely they would get them all gone this year or have the funding available for it. With Covid-19 not sure they will be focusing to much on these costly projects.

Id say most crossing funding will be tied up on Cork mainline upgrades later this year and next year if they go ahead as planned.

No but that's the rumour going around.. but sure you'd hear all kinds.!

I know a lad in mallow on the gates and they were told they arent being done down there until end 2022 / start of 2023.!

But sure you wouldn't know, its all a pain in the hole anyway.!

Very little opportunities and everything that's up on circular is nearly always given away already, go no where without connections

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

New dates released for the driver tests part 2. Strange that the test dates are split up in 2 batches of 4 days as opposed to the last time when it was one batch of 4 test days.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beebop20

Maybe for social distancing, there was only one batch of 4 days in my email

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Saw a DART set today with a notice on the window saying "Out of Service- Driver training in progress" there were a load of what I'm guessing were new recruits in high vis in one of the carriages.

Advertisement