Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Of the 100 places advertised over the next 5 years I’d say about 70-80 will be Dublin Suburban based in DART or Diesel depots. I feel sorry for people outside Dublin who applied expecting that there will be a half decent chance of getting in. The reality is current Dublin based drivers who are on transfer lists (and there are a few waiting) will be accommodated first and then the position in Dublin backfilled. I know in my own depot there won’t be vacancies for a number of years and even then there are current drivers wishing to transfer in who will get priority.

Are you dublin based root?

So basically we can consider this pretty much a Dublin competition, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Limerick has 8 vacancies

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

dar100 wrote: »
    Are you dublin based root?

So basically we can consider this pretty much a Dublin competition, happy days

I’m not Dublin based.

As I said 70-80% of the positions will be in Dublin and of that I’d say most of them will be in the DART unless of course there is serious servious expansion outside Dublin which isn’t in the NTA plans for 2019-2024

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

5-6 in Cork.

md323 wrote: »
    Limerick has 8 vacancies

So going by roots estimated numbers we should see roughly 12-22 positions for the rest of the country.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    5-6 in Cork.

So 6-12 for the remainder of country excluding dub lim and cork

dar100 wrote: »
    So 6-12 for the remainder of country excluding dub lim and cork

Right now possibly however this 100 is over 4 years and quiet a few in Dublin are due to retire. Cork have another 5-6 unavailable for duty so in theoy a few more might come up. Waterford have a new driver but I believe things are still tight so probally be 1-2 there.

75 of 100 likely in Dublin/Drogheada or wherever new depot around M3 will be for new EMUs.

People applying will have a long wait if they pass and chances they will recruit again.

md323 wrote: »
    Limerick has 8 vacancies

Thats quiet high, overtime covering the schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Thats quiet high, overtime covering the schedule?

I dont know.
    I was told this by a friend working in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

As I said previously some drivers transferring out of Dublin will eat up some of the vacancies around the country so I think it’s best for people to apply for Dublin if they haven’t applied already. Then get yourself on a transfer list and pray. I think it’s your best hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Just did the 30 situational questions on line. Took me about 45 mins. Think I'll do the concentration one next, take a break from the reading!!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Hi guys I haven't clicked in yet but i assume you can do the three test separately? You don't just click start and they come up one after the other!.

Hi guys I haven't clicked in yet but i assume you can do the three test separately? You don't just click start and they come up one after the other!.

Correct, you can log off after each and come back at a time that suits

Just finished now! The questions on the rules and regs were tough. I had to re read the passages a few times to get the answers as the options given we're worded weirdly imo.....

It said at the start there was a time limit on these questions. I lost track of how long I was but I got all questions finished. Is it possible I went over the time but was still allowed to finished?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Just finished now! The questions on the rules and regs were tough. I had to re read the passages a few times to get the answers as the options given we're worded weirdly imo.....

It said at the start there was a time limit on these questions. I lost track of how long I was but I got all questions finished. Is it possible I went over the time but was still allowed to finished?
    There was only a time limit for one of the tests, it was 22 mins, and no you would have noticed i got to the last question and it knocked off

Off topic, dubkin bus are hiring

dar100 wrote:
    There was only a time limit for one of the tests, it was 22 mins, and no you would have noticed i got to the last question and it knocked off

That's what I meant. Thanks

dar100 wrote:
    Off topic, dubkin bus are hiring

Much rather be locked in a cab of and engine where no one can talk to me tbh!!

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Much rather be locked in a cab of and engine where no one can talk to me tbh!!

Lol me too main reason for applying

The cab doesn't mean you don't have to listen to someone talking ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

How long does the first part take and can it be done on a phone, I might squeeze it in before bed

Just did the first part there, some questions were a bit odd and seems like more then one answer could be right, the pregnant woman one was particularly strange

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Up until last Friday 17500 have done the initial tests

Brilliant king. I assume this was the amount of people done tge first? Any idea on the numbers who got through to the second?

Got through the first stage, could I just ask roughly how long does it take to complete the nxt 3 stages and do they have to be done together, it's just that I need to find a chance to do them, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Oh wow.
    How did you find this out if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Got through the first stage, could I just ask roughly how long does it take to complete the nxt 3 stages and do they have to be done together, it's just that I need to find a chance to do them, thanks

Probably around an hour an a half.
    1st Stage no time limit
    2nd Stage 22 mins for 34 questions i think
    3rd stage around 2 mins to complete.

You don't have to do the 3 stages together

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

shamrock55 wrote:

Took me about 1hr 40mins

finno wrote:

I didn't actually realize this before I started but I had allowed for the entire thing in one go so I decided just to do it all. I think it might be better to take a break between them tbh. Even 30 mins or something

• Advertisement

finno wrote: »
    Probably around an hour an a half.
    1st Stage no time limit
    2nd Stage 22 mins for 34 questions i think
    3rd stage around 2 mins to complete.

Not a chance of doing it in 30 mins

Advertisement