Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Applied last night, entered dublin depot.
    I was confident of getting through after carefully thought out honest answers but got an email this morning that I didn’t get through.
    I’m very surprised, would love to know what they where looking for answer wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

I was confident of getting through after carefully thought out honest answers but got an email this morning that I didn’t get through.

I got through stage 1. if you want to redo the test and take screenshots and send them to me I can highlight any differences with my answers. Or, out of interest, you could do the test with a different depot selected.

Coralcoras wrote: »
    I got through stage 1. if you want to redo the test and take screenshots and send them to me I can highlight any differences with my answers. Or, out of interest, you could do the test with a different depot selected.

It says I can’t apply again for 6 months.
    Thanks anyway.
    I don’t feel the questionnaire is a fair reflection on a persons ability’s for the job, would of liked to do the online assements and if failed that I could understand it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It really every depot is different some gave 1/2 Saturdays 1/3 sundays some have 1/3 Saturdays &1/6 sundays some have no weekend work it’s a 39 hour week over the course of the roster could do 45 one week 33 the next
    Some depot might have 1 night job on the whole roster some have no nights

Dunno if you thought about it, but would be good to see an AMA with a train driver, I know zero, I would find it interesting to hear some perspectives on the job and your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I got rejected :). I didn't meet the standard that the company that I'm already looking for wanted :). That was just after stage 1 :). ��.

• Advertisement

Same here :) If i was serious about being a train driver then I'd be a bit miffed.
    It's all down to the agree, disagree bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I got rejected :). I didn't meet the standard that the company that I'm already looking for wanted :). That was just after stage 1 :). ��.

Maybe you dodged a bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 13 071Class

Completed the Stage 2 tests this afternoon, so now the waiting game begins. Did anyone actually complete all of the lines for each SCAAT test before the time ran out?

Maybe you dodged a bullet

I'm happy where i am, just done the online test to see what it was like this time. I was interested to see how the next test worked online as its normally a paper and pencil job

071Class wrote: »
    Completed the Stage 2 tests this afternoon, so now the waiting game begins. Did anyone actually complete all of the lines for each SCAAT test before the time ran out?

They don't expect you to finish it and they would be well impressed if you did.

• Advertisement

They don't expect you to finish it and they would be well impressed if you did.

Was thinking that, because you would literally have around three seconds per line if you were to complete them all in time allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭kingshankly

TallGlass wrote: »
    Dunno if you thought about it, but would be good to see an AMA with a train driver, I know zero, I would find it interesting to hear some perspectives on the job and your views.

No problem

I did the second part with my mate today there’s no way anybody is getting all the lives done it’s the missing them that would cost ya I say better taking your time get them right

I did the second part with my mate today there’s no way anybody is getting all the lives done it’s the missing them that would cost ya I say better taking your time get them right

Other two parts on the test were grand. Was just the SCAAT that I ran out of time on each one, but I did get to line 37 on one of them, so happy enough. Now just sit and wait and see what happens.

I'm happy where i am, just done the online test to see what it was like this time. I was interested to see how the next test worked online as its normally a paper and pencil job

I probably wouldn’t pass either but sure it must be luck I haven’t had an accident in 20 years cos test says I can’t drive trains!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I probably wouldn’t pass either but sure it must be luck I haven’t had an accident in 20 years cos test says I can’t drive trains!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Can the first part of the application be done on a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

md323 wrote: »
    Can the first part of the application be done on a phone?

Yes I did. Second part needs to be done on PC/Laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I wonder how strict the initial location selection would be. I initially entered Galway but in retrospect Sligo would probably have suited a bit better, if I ever get that far!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Asmodean wrote: »
    I wonder how strict the initial location selection would be. I initially entered Galway but in retrospect Sligo would probably have suited a bit better, if I ever get that far!

Not very and its not guaranteed.

• Advertisement

Anyone get any word back after doing second tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Anyone get any word back after doing second tests

Cant see that happening for couple weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Thought there were posts in here of people who heard back within 12 hours of doing 2nd tests, could be wrong...

Sono wrote: »
    Thought there were posts in here of people who heard back within 12 hours of doing 2nd tests, could be wrong...

First tests that was. I completed second test on friday and havent heard back yet

Any people get through the questionnaire over the last few days, I’ve seen a lot of fails and no passes and am wondering have they upped the pass score threshold due to the high initial pass rate, I’m also wondering if you select the more popular hubs in the application does this mean you need a higher score to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Any people get through the questionnaire over the last few days, I’ve seen a lot of fails and no passes and am wondering have they upped the pass score threshold due to the high initial pass rate, I’m also wondering if you select the more popular hubs in the application does this mean you need a higher score to pass.

I filled out stage 1 on Sunday night, got email 5am yesterday for the stage 2 tests.

I selected Dublin depot.

No scores will stay the same regardless of region or previous scores. It is not a numerical score either, but based on types of answers bunched together to give a profile of the person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

They can't change the criteria after going live. Even if they misjudged it and a lot more got through than they expected, a huge number will fail at each additional stage. And if the numbers are still massive, they'll still only call the number to interview that they had planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

I did stage one last night, got an email this afternoon, passed it.

• Advertisement

Asmodean wrote: »

Of the 100 places advertised over the next 5 years I’d say about 70-80 will be Dublin Suburban based in DART or Diesel depots. I feel sorry for people outside Dublin who applied expecting that there will be a half decent chance of getting in. The reality is current Dublin based drivers who are on transfer lists (and there are a few waiting) will be accommodated first and then the position in Dublin backfilled. I know in my own depot there won’t be vacancies for a number of years and even then there are current drivers wishing to transfer in who will get priority.

Advertisement