Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I didn't actually realize this before I started but I had allowed for the entire thing in one go so I decided just to do it all. I think it might be better to take a break between them tbh. Even 30 mins or something

I knew, but still went ahead one aft3r the other. You realky feel it on your body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Good to know I can take them in stages. Pretty hard to find an hour and a half in the evening together when you have a few young kids flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thanks for that lads, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

arccosh wrote: »
    I think people fail to realise how small Ireland is on many levels in respect to industry size and the amount of people applying for jobs...

unfortunately times have changed, yes its horrible the catch 22 of applying for an entry level job, but requiring 5-10years experience in the process..

But unfortunately, that's how things are in a small level industry where they have the pick of the bunch from applicants... it's the same in the technology and pharma sectors also...

majority of external applicants will either have:
    -Luas experience
    -Temp work for CIE
    -Bus Driving experience
    -PDF/Garada experience
    -International railway experience

That pool alone, without the added applicants with other sector experience will make this an interesting, but cut throat competition

I have great confidence in my ex-Dublin Bus Driver female cousin who's just turned 40 and has completed stage two of the tests and was happy with her performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

dar100 wrote: »
    Not a chance of doing it in 30 mins

:confused: i said around 1hr 30mins

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

dar100 wrote:
    I knew, but still went ahead one aft3r the other. You realky feel it on your body

I was wrecked after the 2 big parts. The concentration one with the find the letters was fun in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hey all , the closing date is for the 14th. is that just for stage 1 ?

finno wrote: »
    :confused: i said around 1hr 30mins

Lol dont know how i missed that dude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

dashoonage wrote:

Yep

dashoonage wrote: »

Closing date on my stage 2 was 15th,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Closing date on my stage 2 was 15th,

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

Filled out stage 1 this morning through their website, but never got any email from them.

This was around 4 hours ago, is this standard? Am considering emailing them

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

dougee19 wrote: »
    Filled out stage 1 this morning through their website, but never got any email from them.

This was around 4 hours ago, is this standard? Am considering emailing them

About 12 hours before i got an email back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

annor99 wrote: »
    Oh wow.
    How did you find this out if you don't mind me asking?

I am a train driver heard it at work

Brilliant king. I assume this was the amount of people done tge first? Any idea on the numbers who got through to the second?
    Probably won’t hear that until after the 14th(closing date)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

I am a train driver heard it at work

Is it the type of job you could recommend for a female with a young family or should I be steering clear? Hours wise etc...

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Is it the type of job you could recommend for a female with a young family or should I be steering clear? Hours wise etc...

Would definitely recommended it great kid lot of shifts are early finish most days at 12 is horrendous in in the evening but if your partner is on shift too that’s where it can get tricky with young kids if your partner is 9-5 definitely go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

LouD2016 wrote: »

It’s a steady job with good benefits, male or female doesn’t matter,but like kingshankley said unless your partner is on a 9-5 it can be a problem raising a young family. Beware you can write off a lot of your weekends and bank holidays depending on the depot you get posted to. With young kids only off school July and August it sometimes can be hard to get a holiday with them as most depots are rostered annual leave during summertime and your leave may be in May or September. It’s these little things that can make it or break it for someone. Also if you are from outside Dublin be prepared to spend 32 weeks away from home in Dublin doing classroom training. Any more questions feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

md323 wrote: »
    About 12 hours before i got an email back

So you didn't even get an email saying your form was submitted etc?
    Feels very odd, thanks though!

It’s a steady job with good benefits, male or female doesn’t matter,but like kingshankley said unless your partner is on a 9-5 it can be a problem raising a young family. Beware you can write off a lot of your weekends and bank holidays depending on the depot you get posted to. With young kids only off school July and August it sometimes can be hard to get a holiday with them as most depots are rostered annual leave during summertime and your leave may be in May or September. It’s these little things that can make it or break it for someone. Also if you are from outside Dublin be prepared to spend 32 weeks away from home in Dublin doing classroom training. Any more questions feel free to pm me.

Are the trainers all former train drivers themselves that do the classroom training?

• Advertisement

Are the trainers all former train drivers themselves that do the classroom training?

Yes, some much better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

32 weeks in the classroom seems like a lot. Are we learning to fly the space shuttle

ratoath25 wrote: »
    32 weeks in the classroom seems like a lot. Are we learning to fly the space shuttle

32 weeks for a entry level job starting at 45 grand is exellent, there are many people including myself that have spent 4,6 and even 8 years in university and still wouldnt start on that.

And you actually get paid for the 32 weeks, what more can yiu ask for

Yes, some much better than others.

Any idea of there pay scale? Other duties? Do they train people all year long?

ratoath25 wrote: »

There’s quite a lot to know. I know the misconception is we just pull a few levers and off you go but did you really think it would 2 weeks training and off you go. When I trained is was a minimum of 52 weeks training

Any idea of there pay scale? Other duties? Do they train people all year long?

Become a train driver first worry about the rest later!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

32 weeks classroom, all of which is Inchicore then another 12+ months on the road

I'd assume you get free CIE travel as soon as you get on the payroll (also get 25-50% off tickets across a large chunk of the world on other UIC member railways)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Anyone else get an email in the last bit ?

Core numerical skill test I got sent to me and it links back to my profile with the other tests

Has to be done by the 15th

Funny the subject said mechanis, fitters

Anyone else get an email in the last bit ?

Core numerical skill test I got sent to me and it links back to my profile with the other tests

Has to be done by the 15th

Funny the subject said mechanis, fitters

Nope nothing hete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

There’s quite a lot to know. I know the misconception is we just pull a few levers and off you go but did you really think it would 2 weeks training and off you go. When I trained is was a minimum of 52 weeks training

I presume there are on going tests/assessments the whole time? Do many people who start the training fail out?

Advertisement