Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

A quick google of the loco drivers medical just includes an ECG, It doesn't mention anything that would auto rule you out, like previous cardiac issues, one would assume it would be very strict on any current medical issues, is this the case?

I know general welbeing, BMI etc are also included but just on the cardiac stuff. Would a previous cardiac episode rule one out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steevem23

IanVW wrote: »
    Was that for the second part or the first application part?

first part thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

oleras wrote: »
    A quick google of the loco drivers medical just includes an ECG, It doesn't mention anything that would auto rule you out, like previous cardiac issues, one would assume it would be very strict on any current medical issues, is this the case?

I know general welbeing, BMI etc are also included but just on the cardiac stuff. Would a previous cardiac episode rule one out ?

If you get to a further stage, you will sign a form giving CIE consent to check your medical records from the past. You will also be asked to declare any treatments you had in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

oleras wrote: »

Previous cardiac episode would probably rule a person out. The only difference between a medical for a train driver and one for a pilot is the sight requirements for a pilot is strictier.

One time I was at CMO and he told me that middle aged men were failing drug tests more than any other group and the reason was prescription anti depressants. Hard to believe I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In the past, many/most train drivers would have started out at platform level and worked their way up - the proper way of doing things rather than parachuting people in. However, parachuting people with college backgrounds in above people who have actual experience is common throughout every walk of life.

Most everyone goes to third level now, how does one get this 'actual experience' pray tell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Most everyone goes to third level now, how does one get this 'actual experience' pray tell?

There's no need to be smart as I started my comment with the words 'in the past' but you and our esteemed mod seem to miss that. I'm not familiar with all the various jobs still available but I would have thought that they include station staff (the few that seem to be left), ticket office staff, and travelling ticket checkers? Anyway, perhaps an entry grade should be introduced to bring new people into the company and then progress them?

As for most people now progressing to third level: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp10esil/p10esil/tl/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There's no need to be smart as I started my comment with the words 'in the past' but you and our esteemed mod seem to miss that. I'm not familiar with all the various jobs still available but I would have thought that they include station staff (the few that seem to be left), ticket office staff, and travelling ticket checkers? Anyway, perhaps an entry grade should be introduced to bring new people into the company and then progress them?

As for most people now progressing to third level: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp10esil/p10esil/tl/

They hire summer staff and then hold onto them if needed. They get used for various roles in stations and can stay a lot longer than the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

ECG is pretty standard in any safety critical role, or a role that involves someone working long periods alone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyway, perhaps an entry grade should be introduced to bring new people into the company and then progress them?

Why? Add a huge cost to satisfy someone's desire for the old days?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

L1011 wrote: »

Yeah, bring back the 'engine cleaners' and a small army of porters to handle passengers' steamer trunks.:D

• Advertisement

I think people fail to realise how small Ireland is on many levels in respect to industry size and the amount of people applying for jobs...

unfortunately times have changed, yes its horrible the catch 22 of applying for an entry level job, but requiring 5-10years experience in the process..

But unfortunately, that's how things are in a small level industry where they have the pick of the bunch from applicants... it's the same in the technology and pharma sectors also...

majority of external applicants will either have:
    -Luas experience
    -Temp work for CIE
    -Bus Driving experience
    -PDF/Garada experience
    -International railway experience

That pool alone, without the added applicants with other sector experience will make this an interesting, but cut throat competition.

That's how it is these days, it's rare (especially in Ireland) you'll get a company that will hold you're hand from start to finish... they want someone to hit the ground running, or be almost in the position to without having to do much work.

L1011 wrote: »

What does this even mean?

Yeah, bring back the 'engine cleaners' and a small army of porters to handle passengers' steamer trunks.:D

Don't give up the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

arccosh wrote: »
    I think people fail to realise how small Ireland is on many levels in respect to industry size and the amount of people applying for jobs...

unfortunately times have changed, yes its horrible the catch 22 of applying for an entry level job, but requiring 5-10years experience in the process..

But unfortunately, that's how things are in a small level industry where they have the pick of the bunch from applicants... it's the same in the technology and pharma sectors also...

majority of external applicants will either have:
    -Luas experience
    -Temp work for CIE
    -Bus Driving experience
    -PDF/Garada experience
    -International railway experience

That pool alone, without the added applicants with other sector experience will make this an interesting, but cut throat competition.

That's how it is these days, it's rare (especially in Ireland) you'll get a company that will hold you're hand from start to finish... they want someone to hit the ground running, or be almost in the position to without having to do much work.

As the senior management are also getting on in age the unions will certainly wont new blood that can go from these positions to progress. Therefore, other skills and demograohics will be needed outside of the basic driving skills.

There is a much bigger picture at play here outside of just hiring train drivers. I was literally in connelly last night and honest to god ive never seen such a wore out and demottivated old looking work force.

The wall was holding up one of the supervisors:)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

oleras wrote:

Wondering if any issues with hearing would be an issue?
    Are hearing tests part of the medical?

dar100 wrote: »
    As the senior management are also getting on in age the unions will certainly wont new blood that can go from these positions to progress. Therefore, other skills and demograohics will be needed outside of the basic driving skills.

There is a much bigger picture at play here outside of just hiring train drivers. I was literally in connelly last night and honest to god ive never seen such a wore out and demottivated old looking work force.

I'm sure there is, as with any recruitment drive of this amount.

But still, someone who has been in a safety related role for a number of years, may already have that management experience.

For example, PDF Sergant rank basic pay would be less than starting pay for this.
    This is someone who has managerial experience, lots of safety training, situational awarenes etc..

It will be interesting how many go past the video day.

But still, someone who has been in a safety related role for a number of years, may already have that management experience.

For example, PDF Sergant rank basic pay would be less than starting pay for this.
    This is someone who has managerial experience, lots of safety training, situational awarenes etc..

Yes, our points being that the other skills were garnered elsewhere.

Is there any links to the pay scales of different positiins in IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

All depends if those folks can pass the tests though, they are a leveller of the playing field, same with most public jobs.

I took part in the executive officer recruitment campaign in the civil service (I'm a clerical officer in the civil service about 3 years at the moment) and did really well and made the 1st round of interviews. There's excellent people I work with who have been in my job for 5/10 years who have all the experience to be a very good executive officer, but they couldn't pass the entrance exams.

So those people you mentioned might well be more suited to being a train driver, but how suited are they at doing well in the required exams to get to the interview stage?

All depends if those folks can pass the tests though, they are a leveller of the playing field, same with most public jobs.

I took part in the executive officer recruitment campaign in the civil service (I'm a clerical officer in the civil service about 3 years at the moment) and did really well and made the 1st round of interviews. There's excellent people I work with who have been in my job for 5/10 years who have all the experience to be a very good executive officer, but they couldn't pass the entrance exams.

So those people you mentioned might well be more suited to being a train driver, but how suited are they at doing well in the required exams to get to the interview stage?

The assessments in both are fairly str8 forward tbf.

dar100 wrote: »

You saw some staff in Connolly last night - even that must be something of a record! In my experience, the sight of IE employees anywhere except on the ticket barrier is increasingly rare. Out in the bleak commuter wilderness that are the suburban platforms, they are an endangered species. I noted a fairly stoned looking girl cross between Platforms 5 & 6 in the dark by way of the tracks on my most recent visit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What does this even mean?

Can you explain a justification for inventing new roles and hence cost just to satisfy your dated idea of how things should be?

If you want to make the rural lines completely unviable and closed immediately it'd be a good thing, but I think you want Rosslare to stay open

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭kingshankly

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Wondering if any issues with hearing would be an issue?
    Are hearing tests part of the medical?

Yes you go in to a booth and do a hearing test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You go in and press the button like a mad man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

What is the typical shift pattern of a driver, how often would a night shift come up?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

TK Lemon wrote: »
    What is the typical shift pattern of a driver, how often would a night shift come up?

Just at a guess I imagine it's something like the Garda/FF work, 4 days 4 evenings 4 nights etc... with 2/4 days off in between the shift set? Rotating with weekends off maybe one in 4 or something along them lines. With 12hr shifts or 8hr shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just at a guess I imagine it's something like the Garda/FF work, 4 days 4 evenings 4 nights etc... with 2/4 days off in between the shift set? Rotating with weekends off maybe one in 4 or something along them lines. With 12hr shifts or 8hr shifts.

What is the justification for night shifts? There's no night routes.

train placement, freight... might not necessarily be "night" ...but out of hours ...finish 2 or 3, start 4 or 5 etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

train placement, freight... might not necessarily be "night" ...but out of hours ...finish 2 or 3, start 4 or 5 etc..

Plus track work as in maintenance, someone has to drive the loco!

Again, could be a case where it's a 1 in 5 week event your selected for it.

To be honest, there is a bit of discussion here that I would be more thinking along the lines of cross that bridge when you come to it.

Little talk here about interview which is the big hurdle. The rest comes after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

TallGlass wrote: »
    Plus track work as in maintenance, someone has to drive the loco!

Again, could be a case where it's a 1 in 5 week event your selected for it.

To be honest, there is a bit of discussion here that I would be more thinking along the lines of cross that bridge when you come to it.

Little talk here about interview which is the big hurdle. The rest comes after.

And need to get over those online assessments:D

Advertisement