Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on supplements

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Just a question here:

Is €15 euro for 1kg of creatine good value or are there better deals out there. And if you take 5g per day, it would last you 200 days which is more than 6 months!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just a question here:

Is €15 euro for 1kg of creatine good value or are there better deals out there. And if you take 5g per day, it would last you 200 days which is more than 6 months!!!

Dude, have you actually gone to the gym yet?

Dude, have you actually gone to the gym yet?

Haha yes why??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

you need to take a week off creatine every 8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Just a question here:

You need more than 5grams a day though, it depends on your workload and your weight. 15 for 1kg sounds about right
    guile4582 wrote: »
    you need to take a week off creatine every 8

You don't.

• Advertisement

You need more than 5grams a day though, it depends on your workload and your weight. 15 for 1kg sounds about right

I've heard from friends and plenty of online forums and websites that more than 5g a day is a waste and the extra creatine will not make any difference.

I've heard from friends and plenty of online forums and websites that more than 5g a day is a waste and the extra creatine will not make any difference.

Are those friends peer reviewed scientists? There are a whole pile of myths around lifting in general and creatine in particular.

Look at it logically, heres an example. - I weigh 100kg and lift heavy 4 days a week. My friend is 60kg and lifts once a week. We both need 5 grams do we?

Are those friends peer reviewed scientists? There are a whole pile of myths around lifting in general and creatine in particular.

Look at it logically, heres an example. - I weigh 100kg and lift heavy 4 days a week. My friend is 60kg and lifts once a week. We both need 5 grams do we?

ok its advised to take a week off every 8. but the internet is a wonderful place, for every bit of advice you can also find a bit of advice that completely contradicts it...cue Des'ree

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Examine.com should be a port of call when it comes to things like creatine.

It answers the cycling of creating pretty well:

"Do you need to cycle creatine?

No."

Examine.com should be a port of call when it comes to things like creatine.

It answers the cycling of creating pretty well:

"Do you need to cycle creatine?

No."

call me a traditionalist, but I usually trust my nearest and dearest, a few happen to be fitness trainers/athletes (sadly which I am not) so I am gonna go with them. but yeah once you've read up on it and happy with your sources go for whatever you think.

• Advertisement

ok its advised to take a week off every 8. but the internet is a wonderful place, for every bit of advice you can also find a bit of advice that completely contradicts it...cue Des'ree

Who is it advised by though? Creatine is naturally occurring in red meat, do they also advise you to take a week off red meat every 2 months?

call me a traditionalist, but I usually trust my nearest and dearest, a few happen to be fitness trainers/athletes (sadly which I am not) so I am gonna go with them. but yeah once you've read up on it and happy with your sources go for whatever you think.

So you don't have any truck with logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

So you don't have any truck with logic?

6847217817_ced144e4e6_o.jpg

Always remember this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

That's not a traditionalist it's just being naive and pretty closed minded, it's like trusting homoeopathy over antibiotics. The science has been done, the studies are pretty conclusive... why would you put your faith in someone saying things contrary to scientific evidence just because you "like / trust" them".. I'll never understand..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Zero for me. I only take in what I eat. Not really anti supplements and what not. Just couldn't be bothered and am no way organised enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

strelok wrote: »
    to making small talk with strangers in the supermarket

What are you? American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

papu wrote: »
    That's not a traditionalist it's just being naive and pretty closed minded, it's like trusting homoeopathy over antibiotics. The science has been done, the studies are pretty conclusive... why would you put your faith in someone saying things contrary to scientific evidence just because you "like / trust" them".. I'll never understand..

science doesn't cover it all , there are many holes and gaps in studies.
    many studies don't use "trained" individuals so mightn't be a like with like comparison (for example).
    People are so varied and different that sometime studies don't cut it.

If you wait for conclusive proof, you'll be waiting years and if you are a sports person your career could have come and gone.

I think if a person thinks something like loading creatine works better for them then do that - to hell with what a study says or doesn't say

Go out there - live the bro-science and enjoy it.

arayess wrote: »
    science doesn't cover it all , there are many holes and gaps in studies.
    many studies don't use "trained" individuals so mightn't be a like with like comparison (for example).
    People are so varied and different that sometime studies don't cut it.

If you wait for conclusive proof, you'll be waiting years and if you are a sports person your career could have come and gone.

I think if a person thinks something like loading creatine works better for them then do that - to hell with what a study says or doesn't say

Go out there - live the bro-science and enjoy it.

Creatine is the most studied supplement and the science is already in. Bro-science has its place alright, but that place isn't here.

Creatine is the most studied supplement and the science is already in. Bro-science has its place alright, but that place isn't here.

You are right it has been studied to the nth degree , yet we still see new studies every week* with amazing results in creatine study. So the definitive will never (imo) be known.

If loading works for you load. If it doesn't don't.

Research and writings can point the way but the real test is how it effects you.
    To blindly follow an action cos pubmed says so even though you don't find it beneficial is madness.
    be it creatine or not.

*perhaps not weekly but you get the picture..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Surely you'd start with what science suggests and then tweak to see if something works better rather than start with broscience, when both are available.

Anyway, on topic, Bulk Powders did a deal of 2.5kg of whey with 1kg free so that's 2015 sorted for 83 (including the 5kg for fiddy)

Oh yeah, plus €9 for Omega 369 and Vit B complex.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

jesus christ that l-theanine kicked my ass

suggested dose of 200mg my aching balls.

ill be measuring out 100mg from here on out and then halving that, at least until I can get a scale that counts hundredths of a gramme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DayvFit

I spent 130 euro in exchange for 2 vials of test e (will last 10-12 weeks) and a gram of dbol (will last 4 weeks)

Haven't bought a tub of protein in about a year, I bought a weight gainer from my friend half price about 6 months ago.
    I have over a kilo of creatine but don't even use it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I spend about 50 to 70 on supplements but that is for the husband as well. Diet would be good also.

I buy

liquid gold - love this when tired - gives me a kick up the bum
    soy lechtin
    Omega oils
    B complex
    Vitamin d
    Rhodiola
    Probiotics
    Citricidel
    Milk thistle and dandelion
    Quest bars

Now the husbands diet has been the same and he doesn't exercise and has a big belly but since he started taking the milk thistle, soy lechtin and the omega his belly has definitely gone down.

I don't cars if these are placebos for me they keep me exercising or the thought they are helping does anyway

Don't know much about whey but the likelihood is I wouldn't drink it anyway.

I need to research and see if I can get some of these cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Deer wrote: »
    I buy

soy lechtin

I need to research and see if I can get some of these cheaper

:confused:

That sh1ts in everything as it is.

You need to research and look at the links between that, gut bacteria and a nice heart attack.

strelok wrote: »
    jesus christ that l-theanine kicked my ass

suggested dose of 200mg my aching balls.

ill be measuring out 100mg from here on out and then halving that, at least until I can get a scale that counts hundredths of a gramme.

tell me more , I was toying the buying some of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

arayess wrote: »
    tell me more , I was toying the buying some of this.

it just made me super relaxed. it kinda freaked me out a bit how fast and how much of an effect it had, so I was in this weird position of being the most relaxed and cosy I'd ever been while also kind of stressing out about it. i didn't feel normal again for about 4 hours and even then i was still quite comfortable

i measured out .1g this morning around 9am and then scooped a bit out (my scale only does .1's of a gram) to try a lower dose. I had a coffee straight after and I drank it quite fast, felt quite buzzed without the jittery/anxious feeling I usually get if I drink coffee too fast. I typically have to sip a mug over 2-3 hours.

I measured out another .1g just before noon and scooped a little out again. it's nowhere near as 'heavy' as it was yesterday, I feel relaxed but alert. when im sitting at the computer the relaxed feeling is most noticeable but when i'm going around the house doing stuff I have plenty of energy and focus.

if i was getting it again, knowing what I know now, I'd go for tablets or capsules instead of the powder. measuring out .1g or less is a pain in the sack. Vitacost do an own-brand version quite cheap which they say is suntheanine (trademarked high quality l-theanine). if you don't mind waiting a while for slower shipping, you could get a bottle of 100mg caps for cheap enough. would probably be the best way to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

All the supplements you need to get results

Advertisement