Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on supplements

Options
  • 03-07-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

How much do people spend on supplements?

I reckon I spend about 100 euro a month on supplements

That includes

- whey protein

- CoQ10

- MultiVitimain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I get a 5kg bag of whey which costs seventy something and last for months. Creatine is dirt cheap. Where are you getting your whey?

Isn't the jury out on whether CoQ10 does anything at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

5kg of whey cost me €50 on the Bulk Powders deal. Prolley end up getting a good 5+ months out of that.

Vid D and omega 3 on top of that.

Looking at no more than 120 in a year, max, I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

€0.

Because once you're big you can just bully the other kids and take theirs.

Law of the jungle yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

About 350E per year for 25kg of whey.

I can see how you could rack up a bill upwards of 1000E if you're also using creatine, glutamine, ZMA etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

about 70 a month

whey
    fish oil
    creatine
    multi vit
    pysllium husks

occasionally I'll throw something in as a treat for myself.

I tend to do alternate months buy whey creatine one month and fish oil/ multi vit the next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

2.5kg of Whey - €33
    1kg Creatine - €14

lasts about 6 months

Sugar Free wrote: »
    About 350E per year for 25kg of whey.

I can see how you could rack up a bill upwards of 1000E if you're also using creatine, glutamine, ZMA etc.

that's €30 a month on whey protein alone, do you bathe in the stuff?

take it you compete (in something)

guile4582 wrote: »
    2.5kg of Whey - €33
    1kg Creatine - €14

lasts about 6 months

you ration your whey to .46 a scoop per day?
    That must be a pain to measure out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Whey eating contest. He's very good.

arayess wrote: »
    you ration your whey to .46 a scoop per day?
    That must be a pain to measure out :pac:

i eat food and supplement my diet yes...isnt that the point?

• Advertisement

It's about 2 scoops a day.

That's a pint-sized shake.

Or a very, very small bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I don't see why that means I must compete in something? But no, I don't.

I aim for 250-300g protein a day, 60-80g of that comes from whey. I haven't calculated my chicken bill but I'm sure it will be far higher than 350e a year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have two bags of whey still going but i definitely am not buying by the month
    I think i have one scoop a day maybe two

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I don't see why that means I must compete in something? But no, I don't.

I aim for 250-300g protein a day, 60-80g of that comes from whey. I haven't calculated my chicken bill but I'm sure it will be far higher than 350e a year!

300 grams? So you are 25-30 stone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

vitamin d is around a tenner for 3 months so.. 3 quid id say
    magnesium citrate is around 20 euro for 2.5-3 months so we'll say 8 quid for that one
    zinc is around 7 quid for 3 months worth so we'll say 2 quid for that
    creatine is ... i dunno, **** all

13-15 quid altogether I guess. I am thinking about getting a more expensive form of magnesium though, almost 20 sterling for a months worth.. but i'll likely take it sparingly, when I can't easily stir up a little mug of maggy citrate

i eat food and supplement my diet yes...isnt that the point?

depends what the point is. my point and yours could (and probably are) be different.

arayess wrote: »
    depends what the point is. my point and yours could (and probably are) be different.

you diet on supplements??

you diet on supplements??

not entirely but i'd have more protein a day..

3 on a training day , 1 on a non.
    Its' nice in oats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Zero supplements are a waste of money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

The market is geared towards bull****ee bro science claims that are simply not true such as 6 meals a day and the post and pre workout window , taking a protein shake with Creatine directly after a workout won't have any magically effect that leads to more muscle. As long as you take adequate protein during the day through real food your set , Creatine is the only supplement that works but not the magically compound the supplement companies would like u to believe , it's not a steroid nor does it have steroid effects . Why would anyone want to supplement with protein when you can have tasty food and be much more satisfied is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You clearly haven't had mint choc protein

I'm converting to the 6 meals thing more energy same cals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The market is geared towards bull****ee bro science claims that are simply not true such as 6 meals a day and the post and pre workout window , taking a protein shake with Creatine directly after a workout won't have any magically effect that leads to more muscle. As long as you take adequate protein during the day through real food your set , Creatine is the only supplement that works but not the magically compound the supplement companies would like u to believe , it's not a steroid nor does it have steroid effects . Why would anyone want to supplement with protein when you can have tasty food and be much more satisfied is beyond me
    This might not be the thread for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I prefer real food but supplements are handy when work gets tough and life interfers in preparing actual food.

Whey is the one staple I'll always pick up. I always have a few 5.5 pound bags there because I buy them whenever offers are on rather than waiting till I need it. I'll also use creatine, bcaa and L glutamine. They're quite cheap and I go on and off the creatine. Multivitamins are also cheap as are fish oil caps.

I'd say if I break my total yearly consumption of supplements into monthly it would work out less than 30 dollars. Which is probably close enough to 30 euro these days. If I didn't buy in bulk or in advance without special offers I reckon it would be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Why would anyone want to supplement with protein when you can have tasty food and be much more satisfied is beyond me

Convenience is pretty high up there for me. I barely have time for anything as it is.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You clearly haven't had mint choc protein

Or maybe he has...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

About 50 euro a month. That's for whey, vitamins and juice for joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

I don't waste money on supplements, nowadays I try to eat properly and the results are great... Maybe I'm wasting more money on proper food :)

strelok wrote: »
    vitamin d is around a tenner for 3 months so.. 3 quid id say
    magnesium citrate is around 20 euro for 2.5-3 months so we'll say 8 quid for that one
    zinc is around 7 quid for 3 months worth so we'll say 2 quid for that
    creatine is ... i dunno, **** all

13-15 quid altogether I guess. I am thinking about getting a more expensive form of magnesium though, almost 20 sterling for a months worth.. but i'll likely take it sparingly, when I can't easily stir up a little mug of maggy citrate

another 18 euro on 100g l theanine but i've no idea how much of that i'll be taking or how often so i don't think that'll translate into too much of a monthly cost

5 euro on 100g choline bitartrate. i heard it was linked with vivid dreams and lucid dreaming so figured what the hell.

i did get some magnesium malate too. 10 sterling for 180 tabs, i guess the typical dosage would be 4-6 tabs a day but since I'll mainly be using the magnesium citrate still I don't know how often i'm going to have to resupply or even if this particular brand is any good.

I was humming and hawing between malate and taurate too, taurate was quite a bit dearer. glycinate was what i wanted originally but that ****'s bloody expensive as all get out.
    I don't think it makes a massive difference either way, I only supplement for general well being (zinc + vitamin d) and trying to deal with anxiety/depression (magnesium and l theanine). the magnesium is the important thing so whatever it's chelated with is only an extra (probably irrelevant to me) bonus and I've never used l theanine before so this might just be a one time purchase.

apparently the l-theanine allows people who are sensitive to caffeine or prone to anxiety to drink coffee without the anxiety/jittery after effects. I'll be resupplying weekly if that's the case.

I do wonder pretty frequently if i'm wasting my money on this ****. magnesium for sure has made my life so much better and I'm fairly sold on the idea of vitamin d supplementing, especially in Ireland. the rest though... self delusion is pretty strong stuff, as well as being free and abundant in nature.

strelok wrote: »
    magnesium for sure has made my life so much better

Q-reuss.

How so?

• Advertisement

Q-reuss.

How so?

helps loads with anxiety/depression (or at least it can do for some people, if they are deficient in magnesium in the first place). I went from regularly zoning out staring at my shoes for 10-15 minutes because i was so bored and uninterested in my surroundings to making small talk with strangers in the supermarket and it wasn't all that gradual a change. The only new thing was i was supplementing magnesium. It removed the fog from my brain that wouldn't go away even when i was in a pretty good mood.

****'s pretty cool is the general point im trying to get across.

Advertisement