Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

AKeenan348 wrote: »
    Thank you very much. That's very kind of you to say. I personally think you're at the last hurdle. Since they decided that they had all your documents after all. What course did you accept? I got into International Relations, which was my first choice. Have you heard all the controversy about SUSI in the news?

What controversy??Cant see anything on the rte website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

What controversy??Cant see anything on the rte website.
    Think he might be taking about the email scammers sent out to get personal information from people. It looked very official

I'm still waiting to see if my initial assessment will be approved or rejected. I can't go to get a loan until I know exactly how much I need. It's fcuking everything up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Think he might be taking about the email scammers sent out to get personal information from people. It looked very official

I'm still waiting to see if my initial assessment will be approved or rejected. I can't go to get a loan until I know exactly how much I need. It's fcuking everything up for me!

LOL, I'm a girl, btw. I didn't hear about that controversy, but the one I was talking about was in the Irish Times last week. It said that only 46% of students from Dublin get their grant awarded. Now, I understand you might not agree that it's controversial, and that it all depends on the individual's circumstances. But coming from the 54% side of that statistic, that didn't get the award, it's very difficult not to see how it's fair.

Speaking for your situation, I can give you an idea of what you'll pay.

When did you apply for the grant? Have you ever completed a year in college at the same level before, if so, that could possibly complicate your application and you might not be awarded. And have you completed a course that was paid by the State in the past five years, if so, you also might not get awarded.

If you're applying straight from the L.C., and it's your first time at third level college. Then you've a great chance, provided your personal finances and your family finances are below their threshold. That's all on their website.

If you don't get approved, the college will apply for the Free Fees Initiative on your behalf. Provided you haven't completed any time in another third level college, You'll get it. You'll have to pay a Student Contribution Fee of €3043, though. And that's only the DCU fee. It varies slightly between colleges. If this is the case, you'll need to provide proof of payment, proof of ID and proof that you are entitled to the Initiative.

If they consider that you are not entitled to either one, the full fees for an EU National, will be €9, 722. I know, because I have a friend that didn't get either and she can't do her degree. Lord knows why they have to make things so complicated.

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think part of the problem is that people don't understand just how low the threshold is. I have seen people applying (and thinking they had a chance for the full grant) where the household income was almost three times the qualifying amount.

There are some people with plenty of money in this country - see the thread where people are talking about spending 9000 euro for a year in a repeat/grind school - madness.

spurious wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is that people don't understand just how low the threshold is. I have seen people applying (and thinking they had a chance for the full grant) where the household income was almost three times the qualifying amount.

There are some people with plenty of money in this country - see the thread where people are talking about spending 9000 euro for a year in a repeat/grind school - madness.

Couldn't agree more. It's comforting to know I don't feel alone in feeling the grant system is grossly unfair. At the very least, they should be more transparent or candid by putting the threshold amounts in an obvious place for applicants to find it, and explain exactly what the implications are. There really should be more alternatives than SUSI for students to go through. I know they have to deal with budgets and all that, but again, at the risk of repeating myself, why does it have to be this difficult? It's so stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

spurious wrote: »

Know what you mean, but it's always been like that. My sister went to UCC straight from LC and one of her classmates was on full grant aid despite coming from a very wealthy family. She got it on disability, even though her disability had no effect on her studying or any part of her life.
    I think I'll be ok, though, but SUSI is very inefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

compo1 wrote: »
    Know what you mean, but it's always been like that. My sister went to UCC straight from LC and one of her classmates was on full grant aid despite coming from a very wealthy family. She got it on disability, even though her disability had no effect on her studying or any part of her life.

These "stories" will always be around when it comes to grants, whether it is a student grant, living grant or disability grant. I know a person that knows a person that is this that and the other... nonsense and hearsay.

Unless you can get a copy of a person's application, finances available to them and you personally assess such application then you don't know if that person really got the grant wrongfully and or lied about their application.

There will always be forgery, lies and cheaters when it comes to money and this is why the one awarding authority has been set up. So now, just like many people in other threads, they get caught and the money is requested back.

Reckonable income is made up from income that is received into a household on a weekly, monthly or annually basis.
    So if a person has 'loads' of money in the bank, it is only the annual interest that is taken into account as reckonable.
    Income from certain categories can be written off against other incomes that have been running at a loss and less profit/income overall.

So just because a persons family may own what looks like to be a successful business, a lot of property or plenty of land, it does not mean they a wealthy in monetary terms.
    They may like to portray they are successful to hide the fat they are in so much debt and be in dire need of assistance to put their children through college.
    For many years, and I'm sure before your time, there was a stigma surrounding the collection of the maintenance payment by students in the college student offices, afraid to let their fellow students know they were on a grant going to college.

And nobody gets a grant based on disability alone. A disability payment from the social welfare, were paid to the applicant is not reckonable, but all other income to the household is.

Sup08 wrote: »
    These "stories" will always be around when it comes to grants, whether it is a student grant, living grant or disability grant. I know a person that knows a person that is this that and the other... nonsense and hearsay.

Unless you can get a copy of a person's application, finances available to them and you personally assess such application then you don't know if that person really got the grant wrongfully and or lied about their application.

There will always be forgery, lies and cheaters when it comes to money and this is why the one awarding authority has been set up. So now, just like many people in other threads, they get caught and the money is requested back.

Reckonable income is made up from income that is received into a household on a weekly, monthly or annually basis.
    So if a person has 'loads' of money in the bank, it is only the annual interest that is taken into account as reckonable.
    Income from certain categories can be written off against other incomes that have been running at a loss and less profit/income overall.

So just because a persons family may own what looks like to be a successful business, a lot of property or plenty of land, it does not mean they a wealthy in monetary terms.
    They may like to portray they are successful to hide the fat they are in so much debt and be in dire need of assistance to put their children through college.
    For many years, and I'm sure before your time, there was a stigma surrounding the collection of the maintenance payment by students in the college student offices, afraid to let their fellow students know they were on a grant going to college.

And nobody gets a grant based on disability alone. A disability payment from the social welfare, were paid to the applicant is not reckonable, but all other income to the household is.
    It's not one of these "Friend of a Friend" stories; the girl said it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dezzie

I'm also queued for final assessment. I'm moving to Tralee on Wednesday to start at the IT there. I've sorted accommodation for myself. If I get refused the grant, I'll have to move back home as I won't be able to afford rent, fees etc.

It's ridiculous that people have to accept places before they know if they can afford it. I'm checking the online tracker daily, I've called and emailed also. Just getting the standard reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

compo1 wrote: »
    It's not one of these "Friend of a Friend" stories; the girl said it herself.

To you? No, then it's "a friend of a friend story"

• Advertisement

Sup08 wrote: »
    To you? No, then it's "a friend of a friend story"
    To me; yes. Though I suspect there was more to it than I was being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

I rang susi up and asked why I hadn't heard anything as I've been provisionally awarded they just needed conformation from cao which cao told me they had given them but when I questioned the one on the phone she said because cao round 2 offers were still due to come out and FCA forms would need to be sent in I would just have to be patient but this is ridiculous cause my friend who is on same course me got her award letter.. So it seems it's just the luck of the draw some people will get there award letter before others which is ridiculous tbh hoping I get that award letter before I start on 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

AKeenan348 wrote: »
    Thank you very much. That's very kind of you to say. I personally think you're at the last hurdle. Since they decided that they had all your documents after all. What course did you accept? I got into International Relations, which was my first choice. Have you heard all the controversy about SUSI in the news?

I accepted to study Law in UCC and I have started already and still no word on the grant front.

I am 100% eligible as I have checked and rechecked the income limits and checked their eligibility reckoner which confirmed I was eligible so I don't know what the hold up is :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I accepted to study Law in UCC and I have started already and still no word on the grant front.

I am 100% eligible as I have checked and rechecked the income limits and checked their eligibility reckoner which confirmed I was eligible so I don't know what the hold up is :(

People are sometimes two weeks into their courses before the approval comes through, could be even six weeks before any money comes through. If you are eligible, I would not worry.

Hiya,

Congrats on your course. I have a friend who's in the Business Studies course in DCU. She didn't get notice of her of her grant till late November. I didn't get my grant, because I applied for a grant in the immediate year after I did Level 5 and Level 6 on a ETB Course, plus I completed year one of a degree course in Trinity College. So if you don't have any situation like that. They check income levels for both you and anyone that's living in your home. So if you had a part time job over the summer, that could push you over the threshold. That happened to another friend of mine and she had to pay half of her fees. If everything clears, and you don't have anything like that in your situation, you have a great chance of getting it. Just be prepared to be kept waiting for as long as my friend was. Print off that page, where it says "Decision Pending" to show it to the college, on the day your orientation starts. I can't understand why they make students commit to courses, before they are awarded or refused a grant. Pointless and unfair. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Karnellan

I am also still waiting on notification from Susi. I filled out my Final Course Acceptance today and I'm currently queued for Final Assessment. I've received notification from DCU that I qualify for the Free Fees Scheme so I 'only' have to pay the 3043. I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that DCU couldn't make this determination themselves so part of me doesn't want to trust it. My question though is if I am deemed eligible (which I believe I will be), will I get all or just some of the 3043 figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Karnellan wrote: »
    I am also still waiting on notification from Susi. I filled out my Final Course Acceptance today and I'm currently queued for Final Assessment. I've received notification from DCU that I qualify for the Free Fees Scheme so I 'only' have to pay the 3043. I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that DCU couldn't make this determination themselves so part of me doesn't want to trust it. My question though is if I am deemed eligible (which I believe I will be), will I get all or just some of the 3043 figure?
    You will definitely have to pay the 43 euro as that is the student levy (which you have to pay, regardless of if you are getting the grant or not). If you get the grant, it depends on the level you get. You could get fees paid for fully or you may to have pay a percentage yourself, it depends.

Hi,

DCU apply for the free fees on your behalf, whether you apply for SUSI or not. If you don't get SUSI, the college has the free fees. Which the student contribution fee is €3043. Can be more in other colleges. If they determine that you do not qualify for free fees, you have to pay full fees. All depending on your course, can be anywhere between almost €9,000 to over €11, 000 per year. That's what SUSI pays for your course. So since you do qualify, that notification is like your green card to college. Print it off, along with your application page for SUSI. Youll be better off printing them out twice to keep as back up. You'll need them along with your passport and proof of student number, like your CAO acceptance, to collect your ID on your first day at college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

By and large there are generally three types of fees that are payable for 3rd level.

Tuition fees: These can range from a couple of thousand euro to several tens of thousands depending on the course and whether you are an EU/non EU student. For students who meet certain residency, nationality and education criteria these fees are paid through the Free Fee Initiative. It is up to each 3rd level provider to make this determination for each student based on the information that the student provides. A student does not apply for Free Fees, its done automatically by each college, etc.
    In cases where the Free Fee Initiative does not apply and where students meet the relevant criteria SUSI may pay tuition fees but in general the Free Fee Initiative is the main source of funding for all eligible first time undergrad students.

Student Contribution: This is a universal charge for all third level, undergrad students and is set for the present at €3,000. SUSI is the statutory body that can provide assistance in meeting this cost. Eligibility is determined based on a reckonable income means test, nationality and residency. Previous education may also be a factor for anyone who has completed and/or attended courses at level 5 to 8 on the NFQ.

Miscellaneous charges: These are charges that are specific to the individual colleges and often cover things such as student union membership, college gym membership, student commencement etc. These charges differ from college to college and its usually up to each student to meet these costs themselves.

In your case Karnellan, DCU seem to have decided that you are eligible for the Free Fee Initiative so your tuition fees are covered. The €3043 is the student contribution, which you have applied to SUSI to cover and a DCU fee of €43 which chances are you may have to pay yourself.
    Hope this helps clarify the fees a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

This grant system is a joke to be honest why are part time courses left out? I am hardly going to quit my job to go back full time. I get 24K a year and have to foot a massive 3k bill for a part time course! No body seemingly wants to help me out with even 1k of the bill. I saved the fee but my god its a grossly unfair system.

Whats the magical reason behind keeping part time courses off the grants? Are we not worthy or something! Pisses me off that my taxes could be paying for someone doing the same course, like WTF?

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    This grant system is a joke to be honest why are part time courses left out? I am hardly going to quit my job to go back full time. I get 24K a year and have to foot a massive 3k bill for a part time course! No body seemingly wants to help me out with even 1k of the bill. I saved the fee but my god its a grossly unfair system.

Whats the magical reason behind keeping part time courses off the grants? Are we not worthy or something! Pisses me off that my taxes could be paying for someone doing the same course, like WTF?

You should be able to get some sort of tax relief, even on a part time course, unless they've changed it very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

you have a job ? lucky you. I guess maybe you should ask the half million or so educated and skilled Irish people who had to travel to the ends of the earth looking for work for their ideas on what's fair.

Link to revenue info on tax relief for 3rd level fees:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13 printerlife

Does anyone know what the full grant is this year, excluding fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Does anyone know what the full grant is this year, excluding fees?

A quick Google search brought me to this link, which contains rates of grant, eligibility criteria, etc. You really should try Google when you need info like that, it's very helpful as well as being fast, easy and free, and it saves anybody else from having to do your research! ;):D

Here's the link:

http://susi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Student-Grant-Scheme-2015_1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Got a letter in the post from SUSI yesterday, absolutely delighted, I thought "The wait is finally over!" ever since my application's been sitting in 'Final Assessment' since July 15th.

"Sorry, we need more documents off you"

Was absolutely fuming, so I rang them up and had somebody there look over my application and all the documents I submitted, which included bank statements, P45/P60, a load of exam results over the past 5 years and letters of confirmation from colleges confirming my attendance, which apparently still weren't proof enough of me living here.

And it all turns out it was just them making another balls of it, the lad on the phone told me everything I submitted was more than adequate and that they'll be updating my status next week.

We're into October now and they're still pulling stuff like this, it boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Just wondering can anyone provide information for me. My daughter is in her 3rd year Level 8 degree of a 4 year course and hates it. She now knows she will never work in the field she first chose. What would the implications be if she were to leave and apply for a Level 7, 2 year course next year. She will be 22 at Christmas. What would the best thing be for her to do. Would she not get free fees because she is going backwards rather than progressing. Is there anything she can do to get financial assistance. Her Student Contribution is paid at the moment but my income is above the threshold for a grant. Would she be better off to finish out 3rd year or leave now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

As a general rule if she leaves with no qualification she will need to wait 5 years before becoming eligible for funding again. She would not be able to do any full-time / full award courses in the meantime as this would reset the 5 year clock.

If she gets the level 8 award she wont be eligible for funding for undergraduate courses again as she will have reached the highest level of qualification for which funding is available outside of postgraduate courses.

You can contact SUSI 0761 08 7874 and they will give you more information on how her student contribution will be affected.

The Student Support unit of the Dept of Ed will give you information on how her course fees would be affected under the Free fee Initiative: (057) 932 5406

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

Got a letter in the post from SUSI yesterday, absolutely delighted, I thought "The wait is finally over!" ever since my application's been sitting in 'Final Assessment' since July 15th.

"Sorry, we need more documents off you"

Was absolutely fuming, so I rang them up and had somebody there look over my application and all the documents I submitted, which included bank statements, P45/P60, a load of exam results over the past 5 years and letters of confirmation from colleges confirming my attendance, which apparently still weren't proof enough of me living here.

And it all turns out it was just them making another balls of it, the lad on the phone told me everything I submitted was more than adequate and that they'll be updating my status next week.

We're into October now and they're still pulling stuff like this, it boggles the mind.

I had the same issue and nothing was resolved until I submitted a formal complaint to them.
    A supervisor had to take over my application and it was finally awarded at the end of last month.
    I would suggest that you lodge a complaint to get things moving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Yup, received the same letter yesterday. Such a bunch of incompetents.

Advertisement