Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Can anyone tell me why they reckon a Rental Agreement would be refused? :(

Because they are freely available on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Can anyone tell me why they reckon a Rental Agreement would be refused? :(
    Sup08 wrote: »
    Because they are freely available on the internet

Surely a rental agreement drawn up by an estate agent/Landlord that contains all the relevant details - -address, rent payable, term of tenancy, etc., signed off on by landlord/estate agent and tenant would be acceptable? If they're not, perhaps it's because they provide no tangible evidence that you reside there. Utility bills, letters from your Bank, Social Welfare, official letters of any sort should be acceptable. I know when they looked for proof from me I pretty much inundated them with documentation that cost me €10 to post. I'd say it was hard for them not to find what they were looking for, as I got the grant on both occasions I used this method. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanya234

I applied the 24th of April, SUSI requested more documentation the 7th of July (3 months later), and its been in the final queue since. I've sent about 10 emails looking for updates and asking do they need anything else. I keep getting told the same thing - Wait. Its a little frustrating as loans and extra work shifts needs to be sorted out if I'n not eligible. They are really cutting it tight for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

Its easy for them to tell us to wait but its very frustrating for us. I've to register by next week and probably wont have my answer in time, all the while having to wait until the last minute organising school runs/crèches/child minders
    They're obviously not equip enough to deal with the number of applicants in time

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanya234

No there not, its an extremely slow system. I'm still not sure if I have to fork out a few grand for tuition fees and student contribution fees. It's not like its only a few hundred euro.

Fingers crossed they will let everyone waiting know sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

Hildred wrote: »
    Surely a rental agreement drawn up by an estate agent/Landlord that contains all the relevant details - -address, rent payable, term of tenancy, etc., signed off on by landlord/estate agent and tenant would be acceptable?

The OP never said what type of contract was refused.

I'm sure the above would be accepted, but it would have to be stamped and even possibly on some sort of headed paper from the estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I applied and got into DIT. I got my registration letter earlier in the week saying the fees are still outstanding, which got me a bit worried, so I read their website. It says they're fully aware SUSI applications take ages and won't deny students any services while they're waiting on grants to be processed. It was a weight off my shoulders but how long do they give you? My biggest fear is that I'm going to be a month into this course (one I've always wanted to do), enjoy it so much, then just told "Sorry, your grant was denied" and then get booted off because I have no other way of paying for it. :(

I applied and got into DIT. I got my registration letter earlier in the week saying the fees are still outstanding, which got me a bit worried, so I read their website. It says they're fully aware SUSI applications take ages and won't deny students any services while they're waiting on grants to be processed. It was a weight off my shoulders but how long do they give you? My biggest fear is that I'm going to be a month into this course (one I've always wanted to do), enjoy it so much, then just told "Sorry, your grant was denied" and then get booted off because I have no other way of paying for it. :(

Have you checked your susi account to see what status your application is at?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

there are three charges ... student contribution + tuition fees + student levvy. if you are fully covered, you are only obliged to pay the student levvy - which is 224 euro (at least it is in NUIG)

in NUIG, you have until October 31st to pay whatever it is you (the student) are obliged to pay. Any delays with SUSI won't be held against you ... as long as you're entitled to SUSI, if there's any hold up that's down to SUSI you won't be penalised for it. so chillax ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

How long ago did you apply to SUSI? Check your SUSI account to see what stage your application is at. You could also ring their helpline and ask them.
    No need to panic, though. They know that the crowd operating SUSI don't know what the word "efficiency" means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Most colleges will be very lax if you print out your application tracker page and show them you are still in the process of being considered. Maynooth are quite strict on paying fees (you don't get a Student Card until they are fully paid) but if they see you have applied to SUSI all they require you to pay is your student levy (different in every college).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

My application's been stuck in the 'final assessment' status since July 15th, I've been checking it every day, believe me! I rang them up to see what the story was, but the woman on the other end of the phone just told me that there was nothing she could do and that my only option is to wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Well my daughter's application is queued for final assessment since June 19th, same story, just have to wait.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

I rang last week and was told it could potentially take up to 2 months from now to get a decision and I definitely wont hear in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

They refuse to give me a time-frame for approval every time I have contacted them. Absolutely useless shower working in the reviews section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

LOL @ the people only waiting since July, some of us are early June :D. If we're waiting y'all will probably be waiting longer.

Absolute load of crap :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

compo1 wrote: »
    They know that the crowd operating SUSI don't know what the word "efficiency" means.

If it was a crowd operating it there wouldn't be a problem. You give too much work to too few people and this is what you get. Public service cuts in action.

They are actually efficient considering the horrendous workload they are under - plus incomplete forms, people not submitting documents, added to having to answer telephone queries all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

maude6868 wrote: »
    Well my daughter's application is queued for final assessment since June 19th, same story, just have to wait.:mad:

and there was me going 'oh, deadly' when i saw my application was queued for initial assessment yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

strelok wrote: »
    and there was me going 'oh, deadly' when i saw my application was queued for initial assessment yesterday

Hi,

Do you mind if I ask how long did you wait till you first applied for SUSI? I applied the day after it opened on the 24th April and got my answer July 9. That's the sort of time frame your looking at, provided you've supplied all your documents on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

AKeenan348 wrote: »
    Hi,

Do you mind if I ask how long did you wait till you first applied for SUSI? I applied the day after it opened on the 24th April and got my answer July 9. That's the sort of time frame your looking at, provided you've supplied all your documents on time.

Sounds like you were very lucky with the whole process, I also applied in April
    and I was not asked for documents until July 2nd and im currently still waiting on an answer!:(

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    If it was a crowd operating it there wouldn't be a problem. You give too much work to too few people and this is what you get. Public service cuts in action.

They are actually efficient considering the horrendous workload they are under - plus incomplete forms, people not submitting documents, added to having to answer telephone queries all day.

The call center that handles phone and email queries is in Cork. Abtran to be exact. The reviews office is in Dublin and they do nothing but review applications, the don't have to answer any telephone or email queries whatsoever.

Hi,

I applied 7th of May, did not receive documentation request until the 5th of June. I submitted my documents and they received them on the 18th of June. Pending final assessment until the 10th of August until I call them and they say we need more info. Made them go back through my documents as I have submitted everything and they confirmed they actually have everything they need, back to pending final assessment since the 11th of August with no update.

You were one of the very few lucky ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Hi,

last week some time :D

my getting accepted into a college course came as something of a surprise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The call center that handles phone and email queries is in Cork. Abtran to be exact. The reviews office is in Dublin and they do nothing but review applications, the don't have to answer any telephone or email queries whatsoever.

There are still not enough staff, no matter how many centres they are in.

strelok wrote: »
    last week some time :D

my getting accepted into a college course came as something of a surprise

You'll probably get your decision sometime in November/December. If you don't get approved, DCU will try on the Free Fees Initiative on your behalf. In which case, you'll have to pay the Student Contribution Fee. €3043 in total. 😵

Sounds like you were very lucky with the whole process, I also applied in April
    and I was not asked for documents until July 2nd and im currently still waiting on an answer!:(

I got a request for my documentation on June 19. A SUSI rep told me that I'd be waiting 6-8 weeks for a decision after they received my documents.

Just tell the colleges you are waiting on SUSI. It's not like they won't have heard it before.

I applied 7th of May, did not receive documentation request until the 5th of June. I submitted my documents and they received them on the 18th of June. Pending final assessment until the 10th of August until I call them and they say we need more info. Made them go back through my documents as I have submitted everything and they confirmed they actually have everything they need, back to pending final assessment since the 11th of August with no update.

You were one of the very few lucky ones.

LOL, I don't know if lucky is the right word. I didn't get approved and had to pay the Student Contribution Fee. Jesus, they really didn't know where they were with your case. I'd say that was really frustrating. But since it's in final assessment now, you'll be probably waiting 6-8 weeks.

LOL, I don't know if lucky is the right word. I didn't get approved and had to pay the Student Contribution Fee. Jesus, they really didn't know where they were with your case. I'd say that was really frustrating. But since it's in final assessment now, you'll be probably waiting 6-8 weeks.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get approved!

My application has been in Final assessment once before and they requested documents again so I'm not holding my breath on it! :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get approved!

My application has been in Final assessment once before and they requested documents again so I'm not holding my breath on it! :eek:

Thank you very much. That's very kind of you to say. I personally think you're at the last hurdle. Since they decided that they had all your documents after all. What course did you accept? I got into International Relations, which was my first choice. Have you heard all the controversy about SUSI in the news?

Advertisement