Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant

Options
  • 02-07-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just checked my status on my grant and it's saying "provisionally awarded cao details received queued for final assessment"

I'm gonna assume this is good news??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

JoeR91 wrote: »
    Just checked my status on my grant and it's saying "provisionally awarded cao details received queued for final assessment"

I'm gonna assume this is good news??

Yes, it is good news. Basically if you change your mind on the course you wanted you will have to submit a final acceptance form, if you don't you should get awarded a grant based on your income thresholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

Sup08 wrote: »
    Yes, it is good news. Basically if you change your mind on the course you wanted you will have to submit a final acceptance form, if you don't you should get awarded a grant based on your income thresholds.

Happy days thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Still no progress on my application :(

I wonder when I should start stressing given that I submitted my application within the first week that it opened.

Does anyone know if they always ask for more info or are there any instances where they just approve the whole lot?

There are many instances where applications are approved with no further documents required.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

They sent out their letters asking for extra information about 2 weeks ago so if you needed to supply anything extra I'm sure you would have gotten a letter by now. My letter came on Thursday saying that they needed extra documentation from me

If you're in doubt about the stage of the process or if you need to supply more information then send them an email. At least it'll give you peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

Hi,

Applied for SUSI this year. Just got word my applications been refused on the basis I did yr 1 of another degree at Trinity 18 years ago. Absolutely heartbroken, especially since I already have my place at college. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

AKeenan348 wrote: »
    Hi,

Applied for SUSI this year. Just got word my applications been refused on the basis I did yr 1 of another degree at Trinity 18 years ago. Absolutely heartbroken, especially since I already have my place at college. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Have you a degree? If you only did one year you should be entitled to a grant.

eternal wrote: »
    Have you a degree? If you only did one year you should be entitled to a grant.

No, don't have anything better than level 6. I would understand then, because that really would discount me. When I rang them, they told me that because I the whole year of 97/98 at Trinity then left, due to emotional and mental stress, that discounts me straight away. First time I've heard of that. You know what's really pissing me off? I want to do a degree to get off SW, They deny me my grant, which I'll have to stay on SW, while I look for a job that doesn't exist, that I have to get because they don't want ppl signing on anyway, and all the ministers give themselves a nice big bump in income and pension funds. You can't know how much I want to stand in the middle of a field and scream right now.

No, don't have anything better than level 6. I would understand then, because that really would discount me. When I rang them, they told me that because I the whole year of 97/98 at Trinity then left, due to emotional and mental stress, that discounts me straight away. First time I've heard of that. You know what's really pissing me off? I want to do a degree to get off SW, They deny me my grant, which I'll have to stay on SW, while I look for a job that doesn't exist, that I have to get because they don't want ppl signing on anyway, and all the ministers give themselves a nice big bump in income and pension funds. You can't know how much I want to stand in the middle of a field and scream right now.

Ok so the level 6? Is that what's stopping it maybe. You had the break of over five years and tried again thus you don't seem elligible. They are desperate to deal with, I'm applying for a Post Grad grant and it's a nightmare.

Yeah,

I've already been told that I'll be entitled to fees, but no maintenance and no BTEA, IF I want to do a postgrad. Jesus Christ, it shouldn't be this difficult. Was told by SUSI it wasn't the level 6. If anything, that helps my case because it's progression from level 6 to level 8. Andrea - the girl on the SUSI helpline - more or less said that the decision will be upheld, so why bother? I'm really, really upset about it. Thinking of seeking legal advice, and writing to the education minister.

• Advertisement

Yeah,

I've already been told that I'll be entitled to fees, but no maintenance and no BTEA, IF I want to do a postgrad. Jesus Christ, it shouldn't be this difficult. Was told by SUSI it wasn't the level 6. If anything, that helps my case because it's progression from level 6 to level 8. Andrea - the girl on the SUSI helpline - more or less said that the decision will be upheld, so why bother? I'm really, really upset about it. Thinking of seeking legal advice, and writing to the education minister.

No, don't do that. Email them and try and reapply. I was on the phone to them for weeks and because I stayed briefly with my parents five years ago they want me to apply under them. I'm a grown, independant woman paying for everything. I told them it was ridiculous but they wouldn't listen. They just don't want to pay out.

Don't they restrict each student to one application per year? What's the odds it'll come out same way anyway?

Don't they restrict each student to one application per year? What's the odds it'll come out same way anyway?

I cancelled my application and will reapply under different circumstances. I'll check the details later for you but you should persevere if you can. Ring and email them. All you can do is try.

No, don't do that. Email them and try and reapply. I was on the phone to them for weeks and because I stayed briefly with my parents five years ago they want me to apply under them. I'm a grown, independant woman paying for everything. I told them it was ridiculous but they wouldn't listen. They just don't want to pay out.
    I cancelled my application and will reapply under different circumstances. I'll check the details later for you but you should persevere if you can. Ring and email them. All you can do is try.

Thanks for the advice. Good luck with your own application.

Hi,

It is impossible to be refused based on one year attended 18 years ago.

If you attended a level 6 after the year of the Trinity course and received funding/a grant, then once you are progressing from your level 6 you would be eligible for funding once you meet all other criteria.

You would most certainly meet the second chance student criteria if you have had a break of 5 years or more from your studies in 97/98.

The SUSI helpdesk person has it wrong and they most certainly cannot advise people not to ask for a review/appeal, that is your choice not theirs.

Hi,

I am in a similar situation to you in that I only ever completed first year of a level eight course when I first finished school. But my Susi application hasn't been processed yet. However, when I spoke to one of their agents to see if I might be eligible for the grant, I was told that I would be eligible on account of the fact that the one year I did was over ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

AKeenan348 did you do a fulltime study in the last 5 years? If not then I can't understand why they aren't looking at you as a 2nd chance student if you meet the criteria.

Section 13. 6 of the grant scheme 2015 says:
    (6) A mature student pursuing an approved course following a break in studies of at least five years, in circumstances where the mature student previously attended, but did not successfully complete, a course and is returning in order to pursue an approved course in the relevant academic year, shall be known as a “second chance student”.

Also Section 15.9 says
    (9) Notwithstanding paragraphs (6), (7) and (8), a second chance student or
    second chance tuition student, in accordance with article 13(6), returning in
    order to pursue an approved course, may be considered eligible for a grant to
    pursue an approved course, including where this provides for a repeat period of
    study, subject to the rules of progression, as provided for in this Scheme and
    section 2 of the Act.

http://susi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Student-Grant-Scheme-2015_1.pdf

I don't understand what their reasoning is given the information you've provided here.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Mine is "queued waiting for decision" How long does this take, anybody know?

compo1 wrote: »
    Mine is "queued waiting for decision" How long does this take, anybody know?

4-6 weeks

Since my grant application was submitted seven weeks ago, should I contact them about it to see if there is any progress? My application status is 'application submitted and queued for provisional assessment' ...it just seems like a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

I'm in the same boat. My application has been 'queued for Final Assessment' since the 18th of June.

I contacted Susi the other day and they advised me the following:
    Your application is currently awaiting its final review. Please rest assured that you will be contacted as soon as there are any updates in relation to this.

Once your course details are reviewed, you have registered with your college and your college confirms your registration, your application will move to the final assessment phase.

Grant award letters will issue to all applicants who meet the eligibility criteria, once the assessment of their application is complete.

Did you know that you do not need to call or email us to check if we have received your application or documents. You can quickly and easily check the progress of your application using the online tracker by logging in to your SUSI application account with your username and password. For more information about the online tracker visit our website www.susi.ie.

I hope this information helps. Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me again or alternatively you can call the SUSI Helpline on 0761 087874 and one of my colleagues will be able to advise you further.

Kind regards,
    Ronan
    SUSI Support Team

My status on my application was provisionally awarded but they requested further prove of my residency so it's gone back to document schedule received

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

are they automatically emailing you guys when there's updates to your application, or are you just noticing this stuff by logging in to your account frequently ?

SameHorse wrote: »
    are they automatically emailing you guys when there's updates to your application, or are you just noticing this stuff by logging in to your account frequently ?

I check mine every couple of weeks

AngryLips wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation to you in that I only ever completed first year of a level eight course when I first finished school. But my Susi application hasn't been processed yet. However, when I spoke to one of their agents to see if I might be eligible for the grant, I was told that I would be eligible on account of the fact that the one year I did was over ten years ago.
    SUSI's criteria for Second Chance education is that you need to leave a complete five year gap from education after your original year at 3rd level college. If only second attempt at degree level, and no courses in between, then you're in a better position than I am.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    AKeenan348 did you do a fulltime study in the last 5 years? If not then I can't understand why they aren't looking at you as a 2nd chance student if you meet the criteria.

Section 13. 6 of the grant scheme 2015 says:

Also Section 15.9 says

http://susi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Student-Grant-Scheme-2015_1.pdf

I don't understand what their reasoning is given the information you've provided here.
    I did a Level 5 and Level 6 from 2013 - 2015. According to the SUSI desk, this helped my case, as it was progression from level 6 to level 8. Then shortly after I submitted my paperwork and documents, I was told by SUSI that because my FETAC Level 5 and 6 was not directly linked to the course in my new course, that might complicate things and influence the decision. My original attempt at 3rd level was in 97/98 academic year. 18 years ago. Well over the five year gap required in the criteria. I feel like they're moving the goalposts. It shouldn't be this hard. 2nd chance education should mean exactly that. I worked my arse off for my Level 5 and 6, now i feel like it's been for nothing.

SameHorse wrote: »
    i strongly advise you check it at least a few times a week. I phoned the help desk to ask on what kind of time frame would the decision on my application might come through. I was told that SUSI don't update anyone's page, until school leavers get leaving cert results in August, and therefore everyone is informed about their grant application together, to make it fair for all applicants. I logged in four days later and seen they refused my application. If I had've gone by her advice, I would have not been informed of their decision to refuse my application and I would not have been able to appeal, as the time lapsed on my page being updated and if I waited to check on it in August, as that person on the SUSI help desk suggested would be past 30 days.

I did a Level 5 and Level 6 from 2013 - 2015. According to the SUSI desk, this helped my case, as it was progression from level 6 to level 8. Then shortly after I submitted my paperwork and documents, I was told by SUSI that because my FETAC Level 5 and 6 was not directly linked to the course in my new course, that might complicate things and influence the decision. My original attempt at 3rd level was in 97/98 academic year. 18 years ago. Well over the five year gap required in the criteria. I feel like they're moving the goalposts. It shouldn't be this hard. 2nd chance education should mean exactly that. I worked my arse off for my Level 5 and 6, now i feel like it's been for nothing.

I understand this more with your above post.

The gap between the two level 8 must be unbroken to be considered a second chance student. Doing the course between your level 8's has broken the gap excluding you from the second chance criteria. Your gap in education is now between your level 6 and your current level 8 application.

Sup08 wrote: »
    I understand this more with your above post.

The gap between the two level 8 must be unbroken to be considered a second chance student. Doing the course between your level 8's has broken the gap excluding you from the second chance criteria. Your gap in education is now between your level 6 and your current level 8 application.
    I was informed by SUSI, Career Guidance tutors, education officers in two different districts that my Level 5 and Level 6 would be viewed as progression. Even Registry staff at Trinity and DCU can't understand why I've been refused, since they seem to think that I come within the five year criteria. Was also informed that the five years would be counted after the original year at Trinity. Which would have started in the 98/99 academic year. If what you say is true, then they really are moving the goalposts, and it's completely unfair. They won't even tell me what documents they require to support my appeal.

• Advertisement

I was informed by SUSI, Career Guidance tutors, education officers in two different districts that my Level 5 and Level 6 would be viewed as progression. Even Registry staff at Trinity and DCU can't understand why I've been refused, since they seem to think that I come within the five year criteria. Was also informed that the five years would be counted after the original year at Trinity. Which would have started in the 98/99 academic year. If what you say is true, then they really are moving the goalposts, and it's completely unfair. They won't even tell me what documents they require to support my appeal.

A second chance student must have an unbroken gap and unfortunately you broke that gap attending the level 5 at first and then the level 6.
    This is in the student grant scheme.

Student Grant Scheme 2015
    (6) A mature student pursuing an approved course following a break in studies of at least five years, in circumstances where the mature student previously attended, but did not successfully complete, a course and is returning in order to pursue an approved course in the relevant academic year, shall be known as a “second chance student”.

Your original gap is now from your year 1 in 97/98 to your level 5 as this is the point that you returned to an approved course.

Advertisement