Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Sinead O'Connor is apparently going to sing McGregor's walkout song live in the arena as McGregor walks to the ring. http://severemma.com/2015/07/sinead-oconnor-to-sing-conor-mcgregors-walkout-song-at-ufc-189/

Very cringey if true. Apollo Creed kind of vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

If and when he decides to fight it would be outrageous to let him fight in Brazil again now, not saying it should be Ireland either but at the very least the states,.

With the UFC being quite fond of money would it make financial sense to host such a big money maker as Aldo McGregor anywhere but the states?
    Aldo Mendes 3, well that can happen in Aldos en-suite (or Mendes playpen) for all it would matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Irishcrx wrote: »
    UFC has grown fairly rapidly in the past two years & is still on the rise so yes there will be a lot of new fans who hopefully get into the sport and stay with it over the next few years, but your right they won't remember a bloody thing Aldo has done up to this point, that's what I am saying sure.:)

As I said, I do believe Aldo is geninely injured and won't fight under 100% which he is perfectly within his rights to do so. And I agree with you , anyone who thinks a world class figher like Aldo is afraid of anyone ,nevermind McGregor IS deluded.

it has grown in Ireland yes, but then again so has rugby. Cricket was gaining popularity after the world cup exploits. Point being, Irish fans are some of the biggest bandwagon jumpers of any country worldwide.

UFC has plateaued on a world level, it was increasing in popularity at a rapid rate up to 4-5 years ago but PPV buys have stagnated and even fallen. Shows are being confined to core markets as they are not selling out anymore.

Of course there are some lifelong, hardcore and knowledgable MMA fans in Ireland but like every sport, even Soccer, when you strip away the riff raff who ****e on like experts who have just read an idiots guide to "insert sport", you are left with a small few who will follow the sport when its no longer shiny and popular on facebook.

As for not remembering anything Aldo has done up to this point? I'm sure he will be devastated to hear Anto and the boys in Crumlin (who only started watching MMA 5minutes ago) are starting to question his legacy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Fair enough strongbow , I just think it'll extend to outside Ireland for Aldos long term legacy that's all, if he really wanted to be remembered as a great champion...like say...Anderson Silva?

'Anderson Silva's clash with Chael Sonnen in the list of his all-time greatest performances? In one respect, it was the worst display of the Brazilian's career, suffering an absolute beating for 23 minutes. But on the flip side, he showed the true spirit of a champion to pull out the victory when all seemed lost. Silva claims he busted his ribs two weeks before UFC 117, and if that is true he should be commended for his bravery in fighting on despite having a hound dog of an opponent like Sonnen all over him. Having been rocked in round one, Silva looked like he had no answer to the American's top control, never once reversing the position in four rounds. Question marks began to arise over The Spider's ground game, but with 110 seconds remaining in the fight he locked on a triangle choke that forced the seemingly relentless Sonnen to tap. It was the ultimate get-out-of-jail card, played in arguably the most memorable fight of his career'

He didn't even mention the busted ribs until he'd won the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

it has grown in Ireland yes, but then again so has rugby. Cricket was gaining popularity after the world cup exploits. Point being, Irish fans are some of the biggest bandwagon jumpers of any country worldwide.

UFC has plateaued on a world level, it was increasing in popularity at a rapid rate up to 4-5 years ago but PPV buys have stagnated and even fallen. Shows are being confined to core markets as they are not selling out anymore.

Of course there are some lifelong, hardcore and knowledgable MMA fans in Ireland but like every sport, even Soccer, when you strip away the riff raff who ****e on like experts who have just read an idiots guide to "insert sport", you are left with a small few who will follow the sport when its no longer shiny and popular on facebook.

As for not remembering anything Aldo has done up to this point? I'm sure he will be devastated to hear Anto and the boys in Crumlin (who only started watching MMA 5minutes ago) are starting to question his legacy :P

What a miserable post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Jaysus lads does anyone read the thread, that's about the third time the Embedded video has been posted today & same goes for the Sinead O'Connor update

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads does anyone read the thread, that's about the third time the Embedded video has been posted today & same goes for the Sinead O'Connor update

There is so much sh*t posts so no I don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did you hear, I think Aldo has an injury?

:D

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did you hear, I think Aldo has an injury?

:D

Not to worry, news is Sinead O Connor who originates from Chad I think has stepped in as a late replacement.

• Advertisement

Point being, Irish fans are some of the biggest bandwagon jumpers of any country worldwide. :P

Link? You certain this is a strong Irish only trait?

Just like in 2009 when we all crammed into the O2 to watch Tom Egan fix his hair after defeat to Hathaway. Oh, how we just bandwagoned the sh*t out of it that night. We were all new fans one time or another - sorry, bandwagoners.

Actually, based on that night, the Irish fanbase is built on a solid knowledge and understanding of the sport, which I think Dana commented on - thought he wouldn't have said otherwise). They appreciated the ground game very strongly , which bandwagoners normally get frustrated with early (refer to the immediate booing on fights that go to ground today in the American events to see which country might challenge us on our 'bandwagoning' title).

And on the Aldo legacy aspect, he is 28 (I know, a good few years fighting at top level, but ONLY on injury free basis) and the way that division has been ranked/ tiered by the top 5 and McGregors rise it is hard to see who else Aldo would have to fight to really have the division fully cleared out before retiring (after just one more fight). His legacy is well built and merited, but a serious lingering question will surface naturally if he pulls out and then retires (if this is the announcement coming) as McGregor 'mouthily' applies the pressure.

I like Aldo.

I am genuinely intrigued by the 'untested' (IMHO) but talented (IMHO) McGregor.

I am happy Conor has a top 5 ranked test before getting the title fight but I so want to have Aldo and McGregor answer the important question regarding victor/ untainted legacies in the only manner possible. If Conor wins maybe the bandwagoners become fans; if Aldo (fights and) wins - legacy enhanced (beyond reproach).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Davei141 wrote:
    If Aldo retired tomorrow he would be remembered as the greatest featherweight of all time........

And also as the man who wriggled out of a fight with the first opponent with the goods to rattle him if not beat him.

I have no doubt Aldo will retire without fighting Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

the worst thing about the embedded video being posted so much is how tight his bottoms are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ibrahimovic

All you negative nancies on here!! Everyone's on about the wrestling thing, we don't know for sure how good a wrestler Conor is but apparently he is good, not on the level of Mendes, but good. What we do know is, is that Conor has great wrestling take down defense, Conor reads his opponents so well I'm just finding it hard to see Mendes taking him down at all, unless Mendes disguises his take downs somehow!?

Mendes is a tough little bull of a man but the wrestling thing is being overplayed and I don't think its going to have much impact come saturday week. I also would be suprised to see him lasting 5 rounds with Conor, it's possible but i'd be suprised. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the last time Mendes submitted anyone like 5 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

All you negative nancies on here!! Everyone's on about the wrestling thing, we don't know for sure how good a wrestler Conor is but apparently he is good, not on the level of Mendes, but good. What we do know is, is that Conor has great wrestling take down defense, Conor reads his opponents so well I'm just finding it hard to see Mendes taking him down at all, unless Mendes disguises his take downs somehow!?

Mendes is a tough little bull of a man but the wrestling thing is being overplayed and I don't think its going to have much impact come saturday week. I also would be suprised to see him lasting 5 rounds with Conor, it's possible but i'd be suprised. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the last time Mendes submitted anyone like 5 years ago?
    I agree but siver got him down easy enough but couldn't keep him there

He has to be careful not to get too carefree if he's having success on his feet.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I agree but siver got him down easy enough but couldn't keep him there

He has to be careful not to get too carefree if he's having success on his feet.

Yeah i'm hoping Conor doesn't lose his concentration, even for a split second. Mendes isn't slow, id say hes faster than Conor actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Irishcrx wrote: »
    But IMO it's not nonsense. I already said in that comment that yes a lot of people will remember him for being a great figher and rightfully so but fact of the matter is a lot of people will also remember this incident IF he doesn't end up facing and beating McGregor.

The incident of fracturing his ribs and being unable to fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

nc19 wrote: »
    And also as the man who wriggled out of a fight with the first opponent with the goods to rattle him if not beat him.

I have no doubt Aldo will retire without fighting Conor

No doubt at all :rolleyes: 9 days left of this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

winston82 wrote: »
    The incident of fracturing his ribs and being unable to fight?

Yeah...for the 5th time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Ha Chael Sonnen is gas

YEYyZTX.png
    YEYyZTX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I wonder will aldo attend the fight? could produce an interesting moment around the octagon interview if hes present should mcgregor win, which i believe he will

Depp wrote: »
    I wonder will aldo attend the fight? could produce an interesting moment around the octagon interview if hes present should mcgregor win, which i believe he will

Think Dana said its very unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

makes sense, especially after Conor's last fight and what happened there at the end and that was before all this hullabaloo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Davei141 wrote: »
    No doubt at all :rolleyes: 9 days left of this nonsense.

And the 3 weeks after the fight. Don't forget all that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Conor is on conan tonight, should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Beersmith wrote: »
    Conor is on conan tonight, should be good!

what channel is that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

what channel is that on?

Used to be in 3e but not sure now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Axwell wrote: »
    Ha Chael Sonnen is gas

YEYyZTX.png
    YEYyZTX

Just what did Chad do to piss off the MW and LW champ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just what did Chad do to piss off the MW and LW champ?

Rule number 1 never avoid a gangster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement