Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

TheNap wrote: »
    Where have these knee rumours come from ?

Im sure if he had a knee injury he would of pulled out when Aldo did.

No amount of Irish fans going over would force an injured pro athlete to fight and scupper his chances of fighting for a title

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/614054297848971265

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

any links to the reports his Knee is acting up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

This means Conor is afraid of Mendes, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Rumours Mendes has a picture of McGregors Knee on his wall with a bulls eye on it...

in training he seems to do a lot of prehab on the knee. lots of band walking, stability work etc which is good too. the upside is that his hips are really strong which make balance and power more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

This thread is so ridiculous.

Can some people not like an Irish sportstar without all this "typical begrudging attitude" shit being thrown around?!

I personally can't stand Cathal Pendreds style (or lack thereof) yet no one has ever pulled me up on it. If he never fought again on TV that day couldn't come sooner.

Same as Conor except I like his fighting style, not his over the top "I am the king" bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

If Conor loses to Mendes now, will he get a shot at fighting Aldo at all? Total newbie to MMA.

If Conor loses to Mendes now, will he get a shot at fighting Aldo at all? Total newbie to MMA.

if that happens then mendes will fight aldo and if he won then I see aldo retiring to be honest. If aldo won, then I'd maybe see a chance for the two to meet but depending on the extent to which McGregor lost to mendes maybe.
    who knows really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Who knows , maybe he will as that's the fight we were waiting to see and Mendes has already faced Aldo twice and lost. Then again maybe he won't and Mendes will be the new number 1 contender.

If that happens I can see Conor moving up to 155 , seems to be where he wants to go and probably a more natural weight for him given his size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Can some people not like an Irish sportstar without all this "typical begrudging attitude" shit being thrown around?!

I personally can't stand Cathal Pendreds style (or lack thereof) yet no one has ever pulled me up on it. If he never fought again on TV that day couldn't come sooner.

Same as Conor except I like his fighting style, not his over the top "I am the king" bullshit.

Your entitled to like and dislike whoever you like.

But don't act as if a lot of it is not down to plain old begrudgery. I don't like Cathals style either for what it's worth but still would like to see him do well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Are we here to talk about fighting or trash
    talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Aldo vs McGregor is a certainty to happen at some stage, even if mcgregor loses a few fights. Look at chael sonnen. Now I'm not comparing sonnen to conor but they're both big money makers

Your entitled to like and dislike whoever you like.

But don't act as if a lot of it is not down to plain old begrudgery. I don't like Cathals style either for what it's worth but still would like to see him do well.

Why would I envy him? I have no aspirations to compete in MMA of any sort. I'm happy he's doing well for himself but he's fúcking garbage (not sure if that's fighter bashing because it's kinda true. If it is, sorry El Guapo!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dulux99 wrote: »
    Aldo vs McGregor is a certainty to happen at some stage, even if mcgregor loses a few fights. Look at chael sonnen. Now I'm not comparing sonnen to conor but they're both big money makers

Its by no means a certainty at all. If Conor loses to Mendes then Mendes v Aldo will be the title fight and everything changes. If Mendes wins that fight and gets the belt there is no need or desire for Conor to fight Aldo, he wants the belt.

If Aldo wins against Mendes should that be the fight then there is a strong chance and one I think will happen that Aldo retires and never even fights McGregor.

Anything is possible at this stage, nothing is a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Why would I envy him? I have no aspirations to compete in MMA of any sort. I'm happy he's doing well for himself but he's fúcking garbage (not sure if that's fighter bashing because it's kinda true. If it is, sorry El Guapo!)

+1

If he headlines UFC Dublin, I'll probably cry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

If its Cathal its probably not fighter bashing . If its Conor.........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Like him or not or his fighting style for that matter, his UFC record says otherwise.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Are we here to talk about fighting or trash
    talk?
    Apparently we're here to talk about everything in between too including how long Mendes cycles with his girlfriend, how intense a 10k cycle is, is Aldo juicing, faking it, is he retired, who paid for Conor's mansion in Vegas, Is Aldo afraid of Conor, is Conor afraid of Mendes, does Conor have good cardio, who's staying in what hotel, what gigs are on near said hotel as well as was Conor the opening favourite with the bookies.

/not exhaustive list

Axwell wrote: »
    Like him or not or his fighting style for that matter, his UFC record says otherwise.

Ah c'mon now... Surely you can't believe your own post.

His record is an absolute joke. In terms of, he should be 1-3 inside the UFC. At best I'd give him 2-2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

For the record, I'm not calling you a begrudger. You've given a more than valid reason as to why you don't like Pendred.

Anyways, I'm not gonna get drawn any further into this now. Don't want to detract from talk about the fight.

I think the definitive factor in this fight is the reach differential. Mendes is going to find it very difficult to get inside McGregor without getting tagged on the way in. Be interesting to see how he approaches it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Maybe we should have another thread which discusses the other fights and McGregor is excluded, this would have mean the other title fight chat is discussed in a meaningful way. I must try to watch their previous fight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

If Conor and Aldo both lose to Mendes they'll make the fight.
    If Mendes loses to Aldo after beating Conor, i don't think we ever see the fight as Aldo might have retired by the time Conor "works his way" to another shot. Although that might just be one fight against a can like Siver though given the love they have for McGregor.

tbh, a fight between Aldo and McGregor that wasn't for the title just wouldn't be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

His record is an absolute joke. In terms of, he should be 1-3 inside the UFC. At best I'd give him 2-2

Mods I'm begging.

Edit. Thought this was aimed at conor!

What he 'should' be is irrelevant when we are talking about his record. I know he is lucky in his fights and the decisions and I dont rate him that highly but the facts are the facts..

He is 4-0 in the UFC, unbeaten in last 12 career fights (nearly 4 and a half years unbeaten)..and the only fighter to ever in the UFC to go 5-0 in the space of a year if he wins at UFC 189.

Cathal Pendred is the #GOAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I don't think Conor has a knee issue, I have had both my ACL's done and you do these things as preventative measures... It is generally accepted that ACL injury ages the knee by about 20 years so you need to do everything you can to prevent injuries.

In regards to a few of the comments about how Aldo was able to deal with Mendes' wrestling with ease, a lot of people don't take the fact that Aldo is a high level BJJ Black Belt into account. Conor is a brown belt and whilst that is very high, Aldo is a stratosphere above that and he can put everything into his kicks because he has no worries if he is taken down. Conor could go toe to toe with both men, his striking is exceptional as is his balance, but its his ground game that's not been tested, so that is why I feel this is actually a harder match for him, and this is not being disrespectful to Aldo. Aldo's style is more suited to Conor although I have said since the fight was announced that I felt that Aldo might play to his BJJ strengths when he fought Conor, it would be unexpected and he would have a much bigger advantage.

I think Conor will get the win against Mendes, I think the reach is too much and he is extremely dynamic on his feet, not to mention he has unbelievable balance. Mendes has to cover too much distance for a TD and Conor has lethal uppercuts that carry immense power and he is extremely unorthodox in his striking style so it's very hard to prepare for him.

I also find it laughable that people on social media are getting up in arms about his comment about drunk friends. Having seen the presser in Dublin, he is perfectly entitled to that opinion as it was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If you understood UFC scoring system you'd understand that he won all his fights.

Joe Rogan sways a lot of people with the nonsense he talks after some fights. He generally explains quite well for beginners but he completely takes sides based on feling without logically dissecting stuff.

Pendred ain't a pretty fighter, but he's effective and scores points for take downs and submission attempts. I think you could put him against far better fighters then himself and he'd still be hard to beat and within a shout. That is a skill within itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Money comes in second place, it’s like a shadow: when you try catching it, you can’t, but when you move forward, it follows you. Money ends some day, but legacy and things you do becomes part of the history, and that’s what I value the most.

I love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sheriff2

Is anyone going to Vegas without tickets for the fight, wondering where the best place to watch it would be. The MGM are charging 75$ to watch it on a screen there, seems a bit steep

I'm abit lost here, are you saying he didn't win at least one of those fights and at most 2????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As already stated, that's his record and it doesn't matter what anybody thinks. I think Cathal gets a hard time of it but I think he fights in the wrong weight class. He reminds me of Rumble, if he went up a class I think he would be much better. He seems to run out of gas too quickly and it may end up in his being cut by the UFC as he is not exciting enough (re Jon Fitch).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement