Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Not sure if it's been mentioned, the embedded episode two,is hilarious. Chad tapping his temple saying "Conor won't get in my head". 2 minutes later he's visibly rattled during the conference call. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

That last line says It all, why can nobody be negative about or dislike McGregor? Because you like him does that mean we all must or there is something wrong with us? I personally haven't said any negative about McGregor in here, I haven't seen many who have, just because there is a bit of opposition to the general McGregor love means we're all being negative about him?

He has beaten everyone the UFC has put in front of him, and he has done that well, I do not doubt that or McGregor's ability as a fighter. However, I would like to see him beat a few BIG names, E.G. Mendes,Aldo,Edgar etc before deciding whether he is a good fighter or a great fighter.

The MMA math as always is ridiculous agreed, but It Is something 90% of the people in here are using, "Mendes reach is too short, look what McGregor did to this guy with the same reach", "McGregor's punch is more powerful, remember how many waves his punch made in that guy's cheek as opposed to Mendes", "Conor beat *** and ***** and **** so he'll have no problem beating ***** or anyone for that matter." Hyperbole of course. But point remains.

"Outside of the Octagon". There are still an awful lot on MMA fans that don't give a damn about what happens outside of the Octagon. It Is MMA not WWE. (I'm a fan of Pro Wrestling so that's not a dig at the WWE) McGregor is very charismatic and your'e right he is money. However he has that personality where you either love him or hate him, and I'd love to know how many of his Irish fans would love him If he wasn't Irish. I hate his character and the way he carries himself but I respect what he does inside the Octagon, so It Is very easy for people to dislike him. In no way or shape or form SHOULD his charisma affect who he fights or how quickly he climbs the ladder and It has.

Nail on the head with this. I honestly don't even care who wins at this stage I just want to watch a great fight between two absolute beasts, roll on next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Nail on the head with this. I honestly don't even care who wins at this stage I just want to watch a great fight between two absolute beasts, roll on next Saturday.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

That last line says It all, why can nobody be negative about or dislike McGregor? Because you like him does that mean we all must or there is something wrong with us? I personally haven't said any negative about McGregor in here, I haven't seen many who have, just because there is a bit of opposition to the general McGregor love means we're all being negative about him?

I never said nobody can be negative or dislike him.

I said I don't understand why people are negative about him given his UFC record to date, the manner in which he has beaten opponents, and his ability to promote fights and draw huge numbers.

In terms of disliking him, anyone can dislike anyone, I would never say otherwise. Disliking someone and being negative about them professionally are 2 entirely different things. For example, I personally dislike John Terry. However, I think he is an excellent defender, captain, and example of how to maximise your potential through hard work. His record as a player has proven that, whether I or anyone else like the guy or not!
    He has beaten everyone the UFC has put in front of him, and he has done that well, I do not doubt that or McGregor's ability as a fighter. However, I would like to see him beat a few BIG names, E.G. Mendes,Aldo,Edgar etc before deciding whether he is a good fighter or a great fighter.

He's fighting Mendes next Saturday and I have no doubt he will fight all of the big names in due course. Obviously he needs to beat the best guys to prove he is the best. So far the UFC have put him in with 5 guys, he has dismantled all of them. I am not saying that means he will do the same to Mendes or anything like that - all I am saying is that he has done his job in the Octagon exceptionally well to date.
    "Outside of the Octagon". There are still an awful lot on MMA fans that don't give a damn about what happens outside of the Octagon. It Is MMA not WWE. (I'm a fan of Pro Wrestling so that's not a dig at the WWE) McGregor is very charismatic and your'e right he is money.

There's an awful lot of MMA fans that do give a damn about what happens outside the Octagon in terms of hype and promotion of a fight. McGregor draws big numbers in terms of PPV buys, gate receipts, merch, etc. The numbers don't lie.
    In no way or shape or form SHOULD his charisma affect who he fights or how quickly he climbs the ladder and It has.

This is 2015 and we are talking about professional sports in a multi-billion dollar fight industry. Of course the charismatic fighter with a good record is going to get the title fight ahead of the boring, uncharismatic fighter with a good record! Your argument that it "should not" make a difference, while valid from a pure technical fighting perspective, is largely a moot point when economics and general reality are considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

foleypio wrote: »
    It had a direct impact on the outcome of the fight, I was watching, you would do well by taking off those Mcgregor fanboy glasses your wearing

You can knock off that crap now please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

I genuinely think that the atmosphere that the Irish will create at the weigh-ins will be immense and even though Chad has fought Aldo in Brazil twice, I think that the atmosphere will affect him; for better or worse is yet to be seen (but I think it will have a negative effect on him).

Don't forget that the Irish crowd will be riled by Neil, Cathal and Gunnar by the time Conor comes out to weigh-in\fight and I think hearing this atmosphere while sitting in the back will definitely have an effect on Chad.

I will now make a separate thread on McGregor chants.

To the thread mobile!!!

I never said nobody can be negative or dislike him.

I said I don't understand why people are negative about him given his UFC record to date, the manner in which he has beaten opponents, and his ability to promote fights and draw huge numbers.

In terms of disliking him, anyone can dislike anyone, I would never say otherwise. Disliking someone and being negative about them professionally are 2 entirely different things. For example, I personally dislike John Terry. However, I think he is an excellent defender, captain, and example of how to maximise your potential through hard work. His record as a player has proven that, whether I or anyone else like the guy or not!

Could you show me one example of anyone in here that has been negative about McGregor's fighting ability? Because nobody has, It seems to me that was a tongue in cheek comment you made because you were mad people were not saying McGregor will destroy eveyone.

He's fighting Mendes next Saturday and I have no doubt he will fight all of the big names in due course. Obviously he needs to beat the best guys to prove he is the best. So far the UFC have put him in with 5 guys, he has dismantled all of them. I am not saying that means he will do the same to Mendes or anything like that - all I am saying is that he has done his job in the Octagon exceptionally well to date

And again, nobody is disputing that. He is a good fighter, potentially great.

There's an awful lot of MMA fans that do give a damn about what happens outside the Octagon in terms of hype and promotion of a fight. McGregor draws big numbers in terms of PPV buys, gate receipts, merch, etc. The numbers don't lie.

Are they MMA fans or UFC fans? There is a big difference, If you catch my drift. Somethign you eluded to in one of your earlier comments. McGregor draws big numbers, Ok fair enough but why should I or any MMA fan care about how much money he makes the UFC? If a main event makes more money than another one I don't care, I want too watch the best fight not the most commercially successful one.
    This is 2015 and we are talking about professional sports in a multi-billion dollar fight industry. Of course the charismatic fighter with a good record is going to get the title fight ahead of the boring, uncharismatic fighter with a good record! Your argument that it "should not" make a difference, while valid from a pure technical fighting perspective, is largely a moot point when economics and general reality are considered.

Believe me, I unfortunately understand that, my idol growing up (from an MMA standpoint) was Ken Shamrock, to see him fighting in his 40's and 50's simply because he has great drawing power was sickening for everyone involved. I understand this is different because Conor is in his prime, but I have a problem with people being where they are in a contact sport simply because of there Charisma, however I understand why It Is like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Not sure if it's been mentioned, the embedded episode two,is hilarious. Chad tapping his temple saying "Conor won't get in my head". 2 minutes later he's visibly rattled during the conference call. Brilliant.

Must have been watching a completely different conference call to me? "Visibly rattled" Mendes gave as good as he got and it was Conor with a big face on him after it ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Man im a big CmcG fan.

A huge fan of him inside the octagon . One of best athletes in the world in any sport. A role model to all other sportsmen and women for dedicating himself to his craft.

Outside the octagon i dont find him funny, witty or entertaining. It all is scripted and he can see him visibly uncomfortable anytime a conversation or thrash talk veers from the scipt he had prepared beforehand.

Maybe its just me.

Anyway roll on the 11th . Cant wait to be at the weigh in . Thats when it will really hit me that im in Vegas for a title fight. I hope he wins and im confident he will . Come on Conor !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Davei141 wrote: »
    Must have been watching a completely different conference call to me? "Visibly rattled" Mendes gave as good as he got and it was Conor with a big face on him after it ended.

Im gonna kick ya straight in throat! lol like somethin outta step brothers.

disclaimer: ive taken that joke from reddit.

• Advertisement

TheNap wrote: »
    Man im a big CmcG fan.

A huge fan of him inside the octagon . One of best athletes in the world in any sport. A role model to all other sportsmen and women for dedicating himself to his craft

Outside the octagon i dont find him funny, witty or entertaining. It all is scripted and he can see him visibly uncomfortable anytime a conversation or thrash talk veers from the scipt he had prepared beforehand.

Maybe its just me.

Anyway roll on the 11th . Cant wait to be at the weigh in . Thats when it will really hit me that im in Vegas for a title fight. I hope he wins and im confident he will . Come on Conor !

One of the best athletes in the world? A role model? OK maybe he is actually one of the best athletes, maybe. But a role model he Is not. Any young people watching his conferences,weigh ins, thrash talk etc...he's the opposite of a role model.

As for the bolded, which other MMA fighters do not dedicate themselves to their craft???

Could you show me one example of anyone in here that has been negative about McGregor's fighting ability? Because nobody has, It seems to me that was a tongue in cheek comment you made because you were mad people were not saying McGregor will destroy eveyone.

There was a lot of McGregor can't beat a wrestler stuff a few pages ago and there was the MMA maths (Mendes beat Lamas, who beat Holloway, etc) and not to mention the "he hasn't beaten anyone of note" comments. My point in response was that he has done everything asked of him to date extremely well so why all the negativity about the next step up (similar stuff was said when he was fighting Poirier). Let's just wait and see how he does. I personally think he has a great chance of getting the job done against Mendes in what will be his toughest fight to date. I for one can't wait til next Saturday to find out!!
    Are they MMA fans or UFC fans? There is a big difference, If you catch my drift. Somethign you eluded to in one of your earlier comments. McGregor draws big numbers, Ok fair enough but why should I or any MMA fan care about how much money he makes the UFC? If a main event makes more money than another one I don't care, I want too watch the best fight not the most commercially successful one.

Where do you think this money he makes the UFC is coming from? It's coming from fans (of all varieties) spending money on the product and it is no co-incidence that a lot of fans are spending money on products (PPV subs, UFC fight pass subs, merch, etc) that involve Conor McGregor. Is that not evidence that a lot of paying fans are interested in seeing Conor McGregor fight? It's kinda a majority rules situation to be fair.

Also, one of the things that makes McGregor so intriguing to people (as well as his talk and general charisma) is his exciting fighting style, it's all part of the package. Just out of interest, are there actually other wealterweight fights involving Aldo or Mendes that you would rather see at this point in time than either fighting McGregor? I know Edgar is due a shot at some point and I am sure he will get it sometime soon.

There was a lot of McGregor can't beat a wrestler stuff a few pages ago and there was the MMA maths (Mendes beat Lamas, who beat Holloway, etc) and not to mention the "he hasn't beaten anyone of note" comments. My point in response was that he has done everything asked of him to date extremely well so why all the negativity about the next step up (similar stuff was said when he was fighting Poirier). Let's just wait and see how he does. I personally think he has a great chance of getting the job done against Mendes in what will be his toughest fight to date. I for one can't wait til next Saturday to find out!!

The McGregor can't beat a wrestler stuff, was McGregor fans saying people always say he can't a wrestler well now he will prove them wrong. It wasn't people saying McGregor can't beat a wrestler. The 1 example of MMA math was not depicting Mendes beating Conor, infact It had no relevance at all. He hasn't beaten anyone of note is a valid statement to make, It Is not slating McGregor or his ability It Is simply a fact. So can we just agree that there is no McGregor bashing going on in this thread?

I agree on the last part.
    Where do you think this money he makes the UFC is coming from? It's coming from fans (of all varieties) spending money on the product and it is no co-incidence that a lot of fans are spending money on products (PPV subs, UFC fight pass subs, merch, etc) that involve Conor McGregor. Is that not evidence that a lot of paying fans are interested in seeing Conor McGregor fight? It's kinda a majority rules situation to be fair

I know? What is the relevance of this to our conversation? I am well aware that he is very popular and is doing great things financially for the UFC, when did I or anyone in here ever dispute that?
    Also, one of the things that makes McGregor so intriguing to people (as well as his talk and general charisma) is his exciting fighting style, it's all part of the package. Just out of interest, are there actually other wealterweight fights involving Aldo or Mendes that you would rather see at this point in time than either fighting McGregor? I know Edgar is due a shot at some point and I am sure he will get it sometime soon.

I like McGregor and his fighting style as I've said several times. I've never seen Aldo or Mendes In a wealterweight fight before?:pac: I't's the featherweight division and I'd love to see any fight involving Aldo or Mendes, McGregor makes an exciting opponent for either guy. You seem to think I dislike McGregor and don't want to see him fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

TheNap wrote: »
    Man im a big CmcG fan.

A huge fan of him inside the octagon . One of best athletes in the world in any sport. A role model to all other sportsmen and women for dedicating himself to his craft.

Maybe its just me.

I agree it becomes repetitive, basically says the same thing almost verbatim in each interview/media conference but then again he is probably sick of doing them and answering the same questions so why not have answers prepared when you know the questions that are going to be asked.

I did like the whole "I'll rest my balls on your forehead" jab at Mendes a while back though, immature maybe but answered back quick with irish wit. None of the Team Alpha Male lads seem to be that witty at all, i remember Mendes saying something about lucky charms in the same interview and Faber saying something about an Irish turd in the embedded video! Jumping to the Irish paddy stereo type for your insults is weak! You'd be ruined for doing that over here ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Tbf i think sometimes support for mendes or aldo gets confused with criticism for mcgregor. mcgregor gets as good as he deserves here from what i have read, the current fight poll shows that. if anyone got more criticism than they deserved on this thread it has to be aldo.

The McGregor can't beat a wrestler stuff, was McGregor fans saying people always say he can't a wrestler well now he will prove them wrong. It wasn't people saying McGregor can't beat a wrestler. The 1 example of MMA math was not depicting Mendes beating Conor, infact It had no relevance at all. He hasn't beaten anyone of note is a valid statement to make, It Is not slating McGregor or his ability It Is simply a fact. So can we just agree that there is no McGregor bashing going on in this thread?

Well, no we can't agree on that - nor should we we have to agree on it. I'm quite alright with you or anyone else disagreeing with my opinions.
    I like McGregor and his fighting style as I've said several times. I've never seen Aldo or Mendes In a wealterweight fight before?:pac: I't's the featherweight division and I'd love to see any fight involving Aldo or Mendes, McGregor makes an exciting opponent for either guy. You seem to think I dislike McGregor and don't want to see him fight?

Yeh, I meant featherweight obviously. I have no idea what I was thinking of there!

I don't think you dislike McGregor nor do I think that you don't want to see him fight. I was just responding to this:

Well, no we can't agree on that - nor should we we have to agree on it. I'm quite alright with you or anyone else disagreeing with my opinions.

Well then can you show me some McGregor bashing in this thread please to back up your opinion instead of pulling stuff out of your arse.
    Yeh, I meant featherweight obviously. I have no idea what I was thinking of there!

It happens
    I don't think you dislike McGregor nor do I think that you don't want to see him fight. I was just responding to this:

Ok but you didn't respond to that? I asked why someone should be a McGregor fan because he has good buy rates? You didn't answer that question you just said he had good buy rates? which had already been said?

I respect everyone's opinion and If people don't agree with me that's perfectly fine, but when you have an opinion and nothing to back It up or even an explanation as to why you have that opinion then It's hard to take It seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

One of the best athletes in the world? A role model? OK maybe he is actually one of the best athletes, maybe. But a role model he Is not. Any young people watching his conferences,weigh ins, thrash talk etc...he's the opposite of a role model.

As for the bolded, which other MMA fighters do not dedicate themselves to their craft???

As a fighter and athlete he is definitely a role model. He's a great example for any young person with aspirations in mma. In terms of his media presence some may not like it but his talking has taken him a lot further than what his fighting would do alone. As Chael Sonnen said (paraphrasing) if you wanna be as successful as someone just copy them.

Well then can you show me some McGregor bashing in this thread please to back up your opinion instead of pulling stuff out of your arse.
    I respect everyone's opinion and If people don't agree with me that's perfectly fine, but when you have an opinion and nothing to back It up or even an explanation as to why you have that opinion then It's hard to take It seriously.

Easy now, no need for that, not appreciated. I gave examples of stuff that was said that I consider negative. If you don't consider them negative, that's fine. Let us agree to disagree.
    Ok but you didn't respond to that? I asked why someone should be a McGregor fan because he has good buy rates? You didn't answer that question you just said he had good buy rates? which had already been said?

I did respond to your comment. My point was that he already has a lot of fans, they are the ones buying the PPVs, clearly there is plenty to like about the guy! I'm not saying you or any other MMA fan should care about that in forming your opinion on who you want to see fighting. I am just saying that a lot of MMA fans have already formed the opinion that they like the guy and want to see him fight which is reflected in the buy rates he gets. That is all I am saying.

As a fighter and athlete he is definitely a role model. He's a great example for any young person with aspirations in mma. In terms of his media presence some may not like it but his talking has taken him a lot further than what his fighting would do alone. As Chael Sonnen said (paraphrasing) if you wanna be as successful as someone just copy them.

Any successful MMA fighter is a great role model for anyone with aspirations to get into MMA. What sets people apart in that sense is how they carry themselves outside of the Octagon and I would say someone like Demetrious Johnson is a 1000x the role model McGregor is.

What Chael said is meh, what makes one person successful in one field or in one period of time is not going to make anyone who copies them successful and in a lot of cases It does the opposite because you get the "Oh you're just copying this guy stuff, we've seen it before" etc.

• Advertisement

Easy now, no need for that, not appreciated. I gave examples of stuff that was said that I consider negative. If you don't consider them negative, that's fine. Let us agree to disagree.

Easy now? Have I done something to insult you?
    I did respond to your comment. My point was that he already has a lot of fans, they are the ones buying the PPVs, clearly there is plenty to like about the guy! I'm not saying you or any other MMA fan should care about that in forming your opinion on who you want to see fighting. I am just saying that a lot of MMA fans have already formed the opinion that they like the guy and want to see him fight which is reflected in the buy rates he gets. That is all I am saying.

Your response had nothing to do with the questions I asked. I understand everything you say here, and I too like to watch McGregor fight but It has no relevance to our conversation?

a here, this thread should be locked. it's going way off the point. I'd be interested to see how many threads with McGregor in the title are locked???

is this indicative of the fans? ha ha. or lets all agree he's a marmite LIKE and devisive subject yes?? get past the insults and

LETS HAVE A GOOD CLEAN FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

rusty cole wrote: »

is this indicative of the fans?

Fans, I don't think so. Blow-ins who come into threads for no other reason than to spout ****e about either McGregor or his opponent, more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Any successful MMA fighter is a great role model for anyone with aspirations to get into MMA. What sets people apart in that sense is how they carry themselves outside of the Octagon and I would say someone like Demetrious Johnson is a 1000x the role model McGregor is.

What Chael said is meh, what makes one person successful in one field or in one period of time is not going to make anyone who copies them successful and in a lot of cases It does the opposite because you get the "Oh you're just copying this guy stuff, we've seen it before" etc.

And his rise sets McGregor apart from the rest. In just over two years he made his ufc debut, had five impressive fights and also an acl injury and then gets a shot at the title. That all comes with the media persona too though he was able to promote himself successfully while on the sideline and promote himself into a ppv fighter. If I were an up and coming fighter he'd be the guy Id want to emulate (Career path and fighting style) or maybe GSP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

To me, when you have guys in here talking sh1te, who have more posts in the pro wrestling forum than they do in the MMA forum, well that says it all really.

rusty cole wrote: »
    a here, this thread should be locked. it's going way off the point. I'd be interested to see how many threads with McGregor in the title are locked???

is this indicative of the fans? ha ha. or lets all agree he's a marmite LIKE and devisive subject yes?? get past the insults and

LETS HAVE A GOOD CLEAN FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen many If any insults in here?
    maximoose wrote: »
    Fans, I don't think so. Blow-ins who come into threads for no other reason than to spout ****e about either McGregor or his opponent, more likely.

What is a blow in exactly? Is this thread not for discussing the fight and the two fighters involved?
    John_D80 wrote: »
    To me, when you have guys in here talking sh1te, who have more posts in the pro wrestling forum than they do in the MMA forum, well that says it all really.

Yes, because If someone posts more in a wrestling forum than an MMA forum that makes all of their opinions and points invalid, they must not know a thing about MMA If they like Pro Wrestling :rolleyes: Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Can we add a "I haven't a breeze who is going to win." option? I'm back and forth constantly no way i am picking any of the current options!

Poor oul BOB is like Jimmy olson there quoting every one.. Go and have a sambo will ya!!

signed, the blow ins!

Easy now? Have I done something to insult you?

Yes, see below:
    to back up your opinion instead of pulling stuff out of your arse.
    Your response had nothing to do with the questions I asked. I understand everything you say here, and I too like to watch McGregor fight but It has no relevance to our conversation?

Well, that was my response, take it or leave it. I felt it addressed what we were discussing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

Reebok already selling McGregor Champion tshirts

McGregor-chamo-jersey.jpg

McGregor-champ-jersey-1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement