Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herd of cattle stolen- IFA €10,000 REWARD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I think a lot of lads here are mixing micro chips up with GPS tracking technology. Micro chipping is a way of branding (mainly used in horse and dog racing industry) to prevent one animal being pawned off as another in a race, during a sale or at breeding.

GPS tracking technology is a totally different kettle of this is a transmitter that is used to to send a signal that identifies a location. It is usually used in the transport industry. I have not seen any that are small enough to put inside an animal and if there is battery life is the issue as it is always sending out a signal I imagine a without recharging signal life of months is about as good as it gets.

Micro chipping is static technology in that it need to be read with a scanner like a bar code is read. Because of this it is only a preventive tool if cattle implanted with them end up back through a mart or legimitate meat processor.
    +1
    Here is a pic of a GPS tracker attached to a young Golden Eagle. They are not that small and apparently very expensive per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can't they insert micro-chips under the skin like they do with dogs?
    Surely this would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Cutting the tags off 100 frenzied cattle in the middle of the night on a strange farm sounds like something that could be done fairly easily alright 😒

To 3-4 people used to handling cattle with fairly good facullities and with the right type of metel shears/cutters it would be only a few hours work to take off old tags and put on new tags.

To 3-4 people used to handling cattle with fairly good facullities and with the right type of metel shears/cutters it would be only a few hours work to take off old tags and put on new tags.
    :eek: I thought that the plastic tags were supposed to be tamper proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Hopefully these lads will pick the wrong farmer to mess with some night ,and the search will be on for them instead of the cattle.

• Advertisement

Can't they insert chis under the skin like they do with dogs?
    Surely this would make more sense.

That is a micro chip not a tracking device. The smallest commercial tracking devices are 2-3'' square and nearly 1'' thick. Generally if you want a fairly good one you need an ariel on it and as well you have to pay for a licience to monitor it.

Base price wrote: »
    :eek: I thought that the plastic tags were supposed to be tamper proof.

They are but tamper proof means that if you remove them you cannot put them back on. In the case of theft it not like a rustler will be reusing these tags. any fairly good quality shears will cut through them I imagine. I have seen metal shears cut thought half inch copper cable in one go . I imagine that a tag with a hollow sleeve would be no different.

Tamper proof and removal are tow different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

mf240 wrote: »
    Hopefully these lads will pick the wrong farmer to mess with some night ,and the search will be on for them instead of the cattle.

I've 30 animals here that they could take. Or at least try. Would want a few ambulances on standby and maybe an undertaker!! Had a close one with one heifer when testing last week. Should be in a bull ring in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

They were on RTE One news today about the 75 cattle and 25 sheep stolen.

They are but tamper proof means that if you remove them you cannot put them back on. In the case of theft it not like a rustler will be reusing these tags. any fairly good quality shears will cut through them I imagine. I have seen metal shears cut thought half inch copper cable in one go . I imagine that a tag with a hollow sleeve would be no different.

Plenty demand for the old brass tags back in the day.
    Had a load of bullocks held up in factory after a vet decided their tags had been tampered with. Luckily haulier saw senior partner in my vets practice working in the factory and told him the story.Dept Vet had to back down when he was told that my vets practice had tagged the cattle and they could stand over them..

• Advertisement

Bought FR bull calves ex farm from a guy we deal with. When we were penning them I was double checking them off against the cards before the movements were applied for. Noticed one with with two different tag numbers, one ear had eg, 3091 and the other 3093. We checked the rest of his calves and he had miss-tagged a heifer and a bull. He sorted it out in a few minutes after checking his records and simply snipped the offending tag (with a metal cutter thingie) off each calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Had to retag a hole herd in nz a few years ago cuting out old tags and replacing with new eletronic ones you wouldnt be long getting through a 100 catle with the right set up. Normal snips that you use for sniping cable ties or light electrical wire will cut threw plastic tags likr butter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Simplest thing in the world to remove a tag.Never done it with cattle obv. but lots of times years ago with sheep when you used to have to remove the old tag and use your own one when tagging bought in sheep(pre EID days).Also sometimes management tags were inclined to cause sore ears so out they came as well.Plus say if upgrading homebred lambs to EID you would have to remove tag and replace with electronic ones.

Biggest job was making sure you looked before removing the tag as sometimes you could end removing one of your own from a ewe that you had just tagged moments previously.

Close a sheep tag ie lock the taggers but tag pulls out of the ear and its quiet simple to reopen and reuse.No real need to explain this I should think .Also you will hear talk of "unusual" pliers for removing and reusing cattle tags but never seen one and unaware if they actually exist or just pub talk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Quickly edited there Paddy. :D

Genuine or otherwise that would be considered as 'tampering' if noticed and I imagine the fall-out wouldn't be worth the pennies saved.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Maybe I've missed it but have any stills from the CCTV of the cattle lorry and trailer been posted online or elsewhere?

There's a finite amount of these vehicles in the country and most of the lads I know around here with large capacity lorries or trailers I'd recognise at a glance on the road or at the mart etc.

Even if the CCTV is of poor quality there might be some observable feature or marking that someone could identify...

tom_k wrote: »
    Maybe I've missed it but have any stills from the CCTV of the cattle lorry and trailer been posted online or elsewhere?

There's a finite amount of these vehicles in the country and most of the lads I know around here with large capacity lorries or trailers I'd recognise at a glance on the road or at the mart etc.

Even if the CCTV is of poor quality there might be some observable feature or marking that someone could identify...
    Not trying to play devils advocate but there is no shortage of UK or other EU registered large capacity lorries to be seen on Irish roads.

Not trying to play devils advocate but there is no shortage of UK or other EU registered large capacity lorries to be seen on Irish roads.

Ah sure if wee Timmy went missing and suspected it was a cattle lorry involved (allegedly) they'd get it.

Ah sure if wee Timmy went missing and suspected it was a cattle lorry involved (allegedly) they'd get it.
    ??

??

I'm just highlighting the fact that no cctv stills have appeared in the media or online of the lorry going through Tyrrelspass.

As other posters have said there wouldn't be many about and I'm aware of the free movement between us and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I swear I would hunt them down until the cows came home.....(No pun intended)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This farm is only up the road from our farm. Absolutely freaked out completely. Am disgusted that despite a family being 100k (ish) down, their livelihood destroyed, that it hasn't really been reported on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

??

surely the CCTV should be released.
    there are more CCTV cameras than in one village. toll bridges etc.
    some farmer has new stock in his field and a neighbor may notice.

Heres my opinion.

the farmers insurance will pay out - but not before they do their own investigations.

That truck would have done some skirting around to avoid cameras - but it still went through the village - the plates would have been duds.

The Gardai need to deal with the tax office and see who has a lorry like this.

The animals could have been brought anywhere that night. they may be kept low profile for now.
    IF the guards have the tax office bit completed, they may be watching and waiting for someone to make a move so they can prove who has them.

Otherwise the goods could end up to hot to handle and be found roaming or worse, and we a Shergar situation all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

yes true, but i am under the assumption that these cattle could not have left the island of ireland as there would be cctv at ports ? I also assume reg plates where changed on vehicles involved

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

surely the CCTV should be released.
    there are more CCTV cameras than in one village. toll bridges etc.
    some farmer has new stock in his field and a neighbor may notice.

Heres my opinion.

the farmers insurance will pay out - but not before they do their own investigations.

That truck would have done some skirting around to avoid cameras - but it still went through the village - the plates would have been duds.

The Gardai need to deal with the tax office and see who has a lorry like this.

The animals could have been brought anywhere that night. they may be kept low profile for now.
    IF the guards have the tax office bit completed, they may be watching and waiting for someone to make a move so they can prove who has them.

Otherwise the goods could end up to hot to handle and be found roaming or worse, and we a Shergar situation all over again.

DAFM are very quiet on this one:confused: They are the regulator for activities at farm level-and this amount of cattle could amount to 30 tonnes of dead weight beef findings it way onto dinner-plates at some stage.

When farmers started tagging cattle we had to record the colour of the calf on the white reg form. That has been stopped with a while. Such a thing would narrow down the animals available if retagging bogus animals. As it stands now any animal of a roughly similar age or size and correct sex can be retagged once you've got a card to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nettleman wrote: »
    DAFM are very quiet on this one:confused: They are the regulator for activities at farm level-and this amount of cattle could amount to 30 tonnes of dead weight beef findings it way onto dinner-plates at some stage.

I wonder where that woman that was on prime time is?

Is branding cattle allowed in the eu? Might be an option, or freeze branding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Was reading through this thread last night and then spotted this today.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishFarmersJournal/posts/10153985418683835?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

Basically a farmer from Donegal contacted the Irish Farmers Journal to pledge to donate 1 calf if 74 other did the same to get this family back up and running. The response has been overwhelming with people pledging livestock and money as well as transportation to get this sorted.

Fantastic show of solidarity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Jayop wrote:
    Basically a farmer from Donegal contacted the Irish Farmers Journal to pledge to donate 1 calf if 74 other did the same to get this family back up and running. The response has been overwhelming with people pledging livestock and money as well as transportation to get this sorted.

Lovley touch. It would be great for the farmer but if he gets 75 free calfs and then the insurance pay him for the 75 missing cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Lovley touch. It would be great for the farmer but if he gets 75 free calfs and then the insurance pay him for the 75 missing cattle?

75 calves will be 2 years before they're productive so still not a great position.
    insurance would probably value stolen animal minus value of donated animals and pay the difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ComfortKid wrote: »

Dunno really, but could he possibly claim for the difference rather than the whole lot and he'd save himself in the long run?

Advertisement