Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herd of cattle stolen- IFA €10,000 REWARD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I can think of a half dozen ideas for a conspiracy but is it wise to discuss this case while its under investigation ?

A previous poster said we're getting carried away with conspiracy theories on this thread, so I want to know what conspiracies he's on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

ComfortKid wrote: »
    A previous poster said we're getting carried away with conspiracy theories on this thread, so I want to know what conspiracies he's on about.

I can think of a few lines of enquiry but the Garda will already know to suspect all possibilities. Any group of people agreeing to operate in secret and hold secrets; would that not be the definition of a conspiracy ?

I can think of a few lines of enquiry but the Garda will already know to suspect all possibilities. Any group of people agreeing to operate in secret and hold secrets; would that not be the definition of a conspiracy ?

What are you on about at all? He said WE are getting carried away with conspiracy theories. No one on this thread has talked about conspiracy theories. A conspiracy would be that the farmer was in on it himself. No one on this thread suggested that.

What are you on about at all? He said WE are getting carried away with conspiracy theories. No one on this thread has talked about conspiracy theories. A conspiracy would be that the farmer was in on it himself. No one on this thread suggested that.

Conspiracy is a perfectly valid word. I merely mentioned its definition.

con·spir·a·cy

(kən-spîr′ə-sē)n. pl. con·spir·a·cies 1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
    2. A group of conspirators.
    3. Law An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
    4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

So of course the criminals did conspire to take the cattle.
    I did not see any ridiculous conspiracy theories e.g aliens abducted the cattle.

So of course the criminals did conspire to take the cattle. I did not see any ridiculous conspiracy theories e.g aliens abducted the cattle.

Exactly what im trying to say to the previous poster! There is no conspiracy theories being discussed on this thread. Obviously someone or some gang conspired to rob the animals, thats not exactly a conspiracy theory is it.

• Advertisement

Exactly what im trying to say to the previous poster! There is no conspiracy theories being discussed on this thread. Obviously someone or some gang conspired to rob the animals, thats not exactly a conspiracy theory is it.

no its not lol. The word ''conspiracy'' has gotten a bad rap sometimes.

Judges in court will often say something like ''You have conspired to do x and y''

Its a valid word to use.

Anything else we post is pure speculation. For example I speculate if this type of robbery is happening all the time then it could be the same gang who does most of them with similar modus operandi and there must exist a support network for the proceeds of these audacious crimes. This support network will consist of vehicles and distribution. Fencing. Finance. The whole shebang.

Judges in court will often say something like ''You have conspired to do x and y''

I know the meaning of the word conspiracy. But I think conspiracy theory is something different, maybe not in the dictionary. He said we are getting carried away with the conspiracy theories. Hopefully he'll come back and clear it up before I ruin this thread. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I know the meaning of the word conspiracy. But I think conspiracy theory is something different, maybe not in the dictionary. He said we are getting carried away with the conspiracy theories. Hopefully he'll come back and clear it up before I ruin this thread. :-)

Plenty of theories going around any way, heard them all at Athlone show today.
    The farm was sold for a huge price during the celtic tiger and nothing done with it since, the beautiful house is practically falling down and the whole place going into disrepair, now this young couple have it rented.
    Was supposed to be a property developer that bought it 10yrs ago for €5m, ( 120ac) but I don't know who or what owns it now.
    I'd know the place well as its where my mother was born and grew up

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

What's the conspiracy?

And the cattle are gone so obviously someone pulled it off!

The conspiracy theory of an illegal or black market meat trade. I'v never been offered lamb chops in a pub toilet or striploins at a car boot sale. Armed rustlers etc sounds like nonsense to me. The cattle wll turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

Cattlepen wrote: »
    The conspiracy theory of an illegal or black market meat trade. I'v never been offered lamb chops in a pub toilet or striploins at a car boot sale. Armed rustlers etc sounds like nonsense to me. The cattle wll turn up.

Would think they would be more likely to try lower end kebab chippers and restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It was on primetime last year about illegal abbatoirs and blackmarket selling . Didn't they find an illegal abbatoir last year around the border somewhere aswell ?

Cattlepen wrote:

Maybe you haven't, but it definitely happens. Theres a black market for everything! A restaurant was closed down in my town 2 years ago for buying meat off some cowboy that was illegally slaughtering and selling animals from his own shed. Obviously not on the same scale as this, but it proves it does happen.

Not some kebab shop either, a fairly expensive well thought of restaurant.

Well quite recently the mafia of some sort were introducing unlabelled horseflesh into so called beef products weren't they ? Everything from Tesco lasagne to Ikea meatballs was affected. Where theres a will [money creates the will] theres a way. I would imagine that well before this heist was pulled off that the distribution network was already in place and this was done to order. We can speculate until the cows come home [was that a pun ? lol] about who was behind it but whoever did this didnt just do it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Your probably right. Maybe they ran away themselves. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Well quite recently the mafia of some sort were introducing unlabelled horseflesh into so called beef products weren't they ? Everything from Tesco lasagne to Ikea meatballs was affected. Where theres a will [money creates the will] theres a way. I would imagine that well before this heist was pulled off that the distribution network was already in place and this was done to order. We can speculate until the cows come home [was that a pun ? lol] about who was behind it but whoever did this didnt just do it alone.

And all handled by legitimate companies handling large quantities of meat inputs. Accident my arse.

Well done. Lol

mf240 wrote: »
    Your probably right. Maybe they ran away themselves. :rolleyes:

Not looking for debate. Just give it time, they will turn up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Not looking for debate. Just give it time, they will turn up

I agree. Sumone ows sumone money or sumthing. More going on here it's just to many cattle and everything from suck calvs to old cull cows. Is just dosnt add-up.

Well done. Lol

no medium rare lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Traceability me arse.

no medium rare lol

King of comedy

no medium rare lol

Excellent punage.

Excellent punage.

You're udderly milking this idea now

Seriously, it's time for you to Mooove on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Surely the introduction of microchips into tags wouldn't be beyond the realms of possiblilty there's ample room on the tag itself and exactly zero extra labour for the farmer. It's not hard see the flaws in the Irish agricultural system, however it shouldn't be too hard fix many of them either! Unfortunately the stone age techniques and lottery results that accompany TB testing shows that progress and indeed improvement is painfully slow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Surely the introduction of microchips into tags wouldn't be beyond the realms of possiblilty there's ample room on the tag itself and exactly zero extra labour for the farmer. It's not hard see the flaws in the Irish agricultural system, however it shouldn't be too hard fix many of them either! Unfortunately the stone age techniques and lottery results that accompany TB testing shows that progress and indeed improvement is painfully slow :(

What good would microchips in tags be when the tag can be cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Would have to be cut on sight. Might be some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Cutting the tags off 100 frenzied cattle in the middle of the night on a strange farm sounds like something that could be done fairly easily alright 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Cutting the tags off 100 frenzied cattle in the middle of the night on a strange farm sounds like something that could be done fairly easily alright 😒

Yeep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I think a lot of lads here are mixing micro chips up with GPS tracking technology. Micro chipping is a way of branding (mainly used in horse and dog racing industry) to prevent one animal being pawned off as another in a race, during a sale or at breeding.

GPS tracking technology is a totally different kettle of this is a transmitter that is used to to send a signal that identifies a location. It is usually used in the transport industry. I have not seen any that are small enough to put inside an animal and if there is battery life is the issue as it is always sending out a signal I imagine a without recharging signal life of months is about as good as it gets.

Micro chipping is static technology in that it need to be read with a scanner like a bar code is read. Because of this it is only a preventive tool if cattle implanted with them end up back through a mart or legimitate meat processor.

Advertisement