Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Simpsons

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

smash wrote: »
    764dak wrote: »
    The Simpsons were nominated for a 2016 Emmy.
    You sure it wasn't The People v. O.J. Simpson?
    It was for an animated programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

After the first 10 seasons or so the standard went off a cliff.
    It started being all about writing in the latest celeb into the show. Now if you haven't been in the Simpson you're a no body.
    I can imagine every Z lister in Hollywood is ringing up looking to be put in to an episode and the writers are under pressure to accept a few every season.

The writers also changed around the 10th season mark. Voice actor Phil Hartman was murdered in '98 and that took Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz out of the show. Two seminal Simpsons characters. Dan Castelenta has filled in but it's nowhere near the same.
    There used to actually be decent story lines involving the whole Simpsons family. Now it's all of them going off on mad cap adventures.
    The series today bares zero resembelence to the earlier ones.
    In my view they are just dragging the arse out of it now and FOX will just keep renewing it at least until one of the voice actors for Marge,Homer,Lisa &Bart dies. It's too much of a cash cow for thme.

timmyntc wrote: »
    This is from a former poster:

I think they were the exception, rather than the rule.
    Nowadays the rule most certainly is that The Simpsons are nothing more than a dead horse, being repeatedly flogged for all it's worth. And ratings would certainly back that premise up.
    Ratings are lower for all shows.

"Highest rating for 1974: 31.2 (All in the Family)
    1984: 25.7 (Dallas)
    1994: 20.9 (60 Minutes)
    2004: 15.9 (CSI)
    2014: 12.6 (NCIS / Sunday Night Football)"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Okay, if you don't think ratings are worth paying attention to, then what about the imdb rating trends
    These again show that after S08 the quality declines (widely accepted here) and that it stagnates around S12 on at the 6.8 mark. The numbers themselves aren't worth much, but the trend is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

smash wrote: »
    I had great hopes for a revival of the Simpsons I loved when I heard they were making the movie, but it was god awful. It was like sitting through an extremely mediocre episode that just wouldn't end.

I think they planned to have a movie with the central plot being the 'Kamp Krusty' Season 4 episode with other sub plots. It never came to fruition.

Now that would have been brilliant. Season 4 for me was the gold standard for The Simpsons.

Brooks suggested that the script for "Kamp Krusty" be expanded and produced as a feature-length theatrically released film. However, the episode ran very short, barely reaching the minimum length allowed, with the episode's musical number having to be lengthened by a number of verses. The episode had also been selected to be the season's premiere. As Jean told Brooks, "First of all, if we make it into the movie then we don't have a premiere, and second if we can't make 18 minutes out of this episode how are we supposed to make 80?

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »

Okay, if you don't think ratings are worth paying attention to, then what about the imdb rating trends
    These again show that after S08 the quality declines (widely accepted here) and that it stagnates around S12 on at the 6.8 mark. The numbers themselves aren't worth much, but the trend is.

Thanks for the new tool. It goes down but I also graphed Family Guy and the season 1 was the best and it trends down. It's also interesting that Friends and Seinfeld seems to trend up. Futurama is a better overall show than the Simpsons according to this (which is based on episode ratings). It has a better peak, better average, better low point.

So based on the IMDB ratings of the episodes Futurama is better than the Simpsons but IMDB rating of the shows have the Simpsons as the better show. Well, did you say the numbers aren't worth much.

So, according to this prefer the newer episodes of Friends and Seinfeld.

I have to look at more shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really interesting interview with John Swartzwelder
    He is a legendary Simpsons writer he has the highest number of solo writing credits 59 in total (he quit in 2003)
    https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/john-swartzwelder-sage-of-the-simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

gmisk wrote: »
    Really interesting interview with John Swartzwelder
    He is a legendary Simpsons writer he has the highest number of solo writing credits 59 in total (he quit in 2003)
    https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/john-swartzwelder-sage-of-the-simpsons

Are the Simpsons not so 2016 at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

"By perpetuating the shallowest perception of the Smiths legacy, the episode is designed to keep audiences dumb and smug, like Leninist Lisa herself. How wrong can a once-great show be?"
    -https://news.yahoo.com/simpsons-tries-cancel-morrissey-103052131.html

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Are there any good podcast episodes that discuss the who shot mr burns episodes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The show has lost itself in a discord of hipster ironic self-catering bullshirt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

My young fella is now 9 so going to try a season 2-11 Rewatch with him (There are some episodes ranging from good to watchable episodes after season 8 despite what people say).

While I have seen all the "classic" episodes what must be up to 10 times each (6pm on a weeknight back in the day was essential viewing in my house) I'm really curious to see what he makes of it.

Must see is there a rewatch podcast for it while I'm doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,983 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Simpsons is a cash cow..

It won’t ever end unless it gets SO shît that FOX pulls the plug....

Done some research and multiple opinions online in TV land agree that Dan Castellaneta, Harry Shearer, Yeardley Smith, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, and Hank Azaria all make about $300,000 per episode each.

So the cast won’t be in a hurry to quit, writers making shïtloads too, networks creaming it in, advertising etc...

Jumped the shark but when it can’t fûcking swim.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Strumms wrote: »
    The Simpsons is a cash cow..

It won’t ever end unless it gets SO shît that FOX pulls the plug....

Done some research and multiple opinions online in TV land agree that Dan Castellaneta, Harry Shearer, Yeardley Smith, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, and Hank Azaria all make about $300,000 per episode each.

So the cast won’t be in a hurry to quit,

What happens when they start to pop their clogs i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What happens when they start to pop their clogs i wonder

Get replacements, it's been done many times before with animated characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Get replacements, it's been done many times before with animated characters.

I'd say if oul Dan popped his clogs that would be it, show would be completely different without Homer's voice.

Not that it's been any good in about twenty years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd say if oul Dan popped his clogs that would be it, show would be completely different without Homer's voice.

Not that it's been any good in about twenty years now!

Mickey Mouse was originally voiced by Disney and he's obviously long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

Did they ever go into the room above the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Advertisement