Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Simpsons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I watched it religiously almost everyday for about 14 years, during the most formative time of my life.
    I'd have full conversations with friends made up entirely of quotes and references.
    Haven't seen a single episode now in years. It's too painful to watch now and I'd rather just keep the old ones as sweet memories. Or precious moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I still watch them everyday, all these years later. I'm a 25 year old gobsh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭tastyt

A gime?, whats a gime?............Oh, a gime!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Homer Badman is still my favourite.

'Simpson scandal update, Homer sleeps nude in an oxygen tent, believing it gives him sexual powers!'

"Hey, that's a half-truth!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Only said it in another thread recently but the all singing, all dancing episode killed it for me.
    was that the one with Apu? lampshading that musical episodes are just cheap filler ?

seriously I know ONE person that's really into musicals and I'm not even sure they're ok with musical episodes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Flanders has gone from being annoyingly Christian but a good person who'll help anyone out, to an obnoxious unlikeable fundamentalist.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization
    Flanderization
    The trope is named for one of the examples in The Simpsons, Ned Flanders, who was originally just a considerate neighbor and attentive father, with his devout nature simply being that he willingly attended and paid attention in church, all to make him a contrast to Homer, before becoming obsessively religious to the point of insanity.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Flanderization/WesternAnimation
    Also, the writing staff have stated that Flanders was deliberately changed in response to the increased influence of religion in politics. So Flanders' character was essentially derailed because The Simpsons writers wanted a Straw Character to mock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

DeanAustin wrote: »
    They killed The Simpsons with The Principal and the Pauper.

Up to that it was the best thing on TV.

True but it gave us one of the best ever sitcom jokes: "Keep looking shocked and move slowly towards the cake."

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭briany

Today's Simpsons will still have the odd good joke, but its problem had been attested to on the show years earlier in the 'Itchy & Scratchy & Poochy Show" episode where Lisa talks about characters being unable to have the same impact after a long length of time.

The Simpsons were pop-culture icons right throughout the 90s, and remain so today, but they'll always be borne of that decade. Therefore it's weird to see them have, say, a flatscreen TV or messing around with smartphones, but it's also twee to see the characters messing with traditional props of the series like Bart with his slingshot, or Homer driving the same old car.

It's also been very evident that the voice actors stopped caring a long time ago and are just going through the motions, giving 'work to rule' type performances. Julie Kavner has been particularly bad for this, but they've all slid. Hank Azaria is the only one who still sounds like he enjoys performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

They should can it. In 3 years time have a return show and make "like a whole buncha money" it's gone to kid frendly. I'd like to see more of bender and fry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I wonder what age group would be the biggest fans of it now? People who enjoyed it in the 90s dont seem to like it anymore. It stopped being funny to alot of us in the early 00s. What do todays teenagers make of it I wonder.
    I used to love Sunday evenings at the grandparents, the whole family would sit around to watch the new episode. Used to hate the Halloween treehouse horror ones though, Anyone enjoy them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I wonder what age group would be the biggest fans of it now? People who enjoyed it in the 90s dont seem to like it anymore. It stopped being funny to alot of us in the early 00s. What do todays teenagers make of it I wonder.
    I used to love Sunday evenings at the grandparents, the whole family would sit around to watch the new episode. Used to hate the Halloween treehouse horror ones though, Anyone enjoy them?

The Treehouse of horror episodes are brilliant and I like them more now than I did when I first saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its popularity always baffled me, found it mildly amusing at best....

.....it was like you had to say you liked it, to be trendy and be in with the crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

fryup wrote: »
    its popularity always baffled me, found it mildly amusing at best....

.....it was like you had to say you liked it, to be trendy and be in with the crowd

Not really.

People said they liked it because it was pure genius.I doubt many people claimed they liked it in order to be seen as being cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The Treehouse of horror episodes are brilliant and I like them more now than I did when I first saw them.
    I too loved these episodes.

But I know someone who doesn't like the Sideshow Bob episodes. It's interesting that some people have exceptions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Prank Monkey and Scorpio episodes are my favorite. Sim Sim likes to boogie. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

fryup wrote:

I think that's just you trying to be cool or blend in.. Doh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Simpsons lowest moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

America’s first family has finally weighed in on the upcoming presidential election. No, not the Obamas, who made their feelings plain at the Democratic convention last week – The Simpsons.

The long-running Fox comedy show released a short clip on YouTube late on Sunday night, showing Homer and Marge Simpson watching a political advertisement on late-night television in order to settle who they plan to vote for. - Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Genuine question, have there been any good episodes in the last ten seasons or so? I haven't watched it past about season 15 or 16, just couldn't take how bad it became. But I'd love to sit down and watch an actual good episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Genuine question, have there been any good episodes in the last ten seasons or so? I haven't watched it past about season 15 or 16, just couldn't take how bad it became. But I'd love to sit down and watch an actual good episode.

hit yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly, then watch series 1-11 again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As with any tv show that runs for a long time, it just became boring and stale. It happened to MASH, Happy Days, and Friends. I call it the tv curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carlo5

Of course they have clearly gone downhill. They started in season 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Having not watched the Simpsons in 5 or 6 years I decided to watch a few of the newer episodes recently. Don't think I lol'd at all through any of them where as I used to be in stiches. So, have the Simpsons gone really down hill or has my sense of humour just changed with age? Anyone still watch em?

Seasons 1-11 are hilarious. After that it seemed to go down hill. Futurama still reasonably funny but I think that's finishing up. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've started watching Season 24 on Kodi starting with last of the series and working backwards and I have to say there are quite a few decent episodes. Nowhere near classics but way above the "guest voice X is in town this weekend" episodes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Groening is a long time Democratic Party financial backer, so it's not a huge surprise. American media is as partisan as every other walk of life over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

The Simpsons were nominated for a 2016 Emmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

764dak wrote: »
    The Simpsons were nominated for a 2016 Emmy.
    You sure it wasn't The People v. O.J. Simpson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

This is from a former poster:
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Here's something interesting from the Simpsons Archive site.

Talking about the Homie The Clown episode which I love myself but it looks like at the time a lot of folks were unimpressed and this was the sixth season.

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F12.html
    Man oh man, I tell you, this season has just been
    miserable!! Bart's Comet episode was lame, the Stonecutters episode
    was worse (poor Jean-Luc Picard!), but this Homie the Clown just
    capped it off!! The entire premise was horrible.
    Another Swartzwelder disappointment. Fat Tony's return
    seemed so promising, but the plot was contrived. Homer becomes a
    clown? Come off it. I guess fresh ideas are hard to come up with
    after a while. Grade: D.

Or discussing the Flaming Moe episode:

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/8F08.html
    Dora Kilburn {dk3}: I thought it was just another episode. There was
    really nothing that was very memorable for me. My biggest laugh was
    the couch scene.

So even though I watched these episodes when the first aired and love them (still do), there were still people giving out about them online at the time.

So basically. You can't please all the people all the time (especially on the interwebs).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

764dak wrote: »
    This is from a former poster:

I think they were the exception, rather than the rule.
    Nowadays the rule most certainly is that The Simpsons are nothing more than a dead horse, being repeatedly flogged for all it's worth. And ratings would certainly back that premise up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I had great hopes for a revival of the Simpsons I loved when I heard they were making the movie, but it was god awful. It was like sitting through an extremely mediocre episode that just wouldn't end.

Advertisement