Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Simpsons

Options
  • 26-06-2015 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Having not watched the Simpsons in 5 or 6 years I decided to watch a few of the newer episodes recently. Don't think I lol'd at all through any of them where as I used to be in stiches. So, have the Simpsons gone really down hill or has my sense of humour just changed with age? Anyone still watch em?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

"Simpsons Did it !"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No its gotten worse, this is a much discussed topic on the internet. I have watched every single episode of the simpsons, and the decline in quality is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Every so often I hear people defend new episodes and say they're actually really good and full of great gags but anytime I catch it the opposite is always true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Id still watch it pretty regular tbh , and it depends on the episode/series but it can still crack you up methinks!

The really newer seriess, as with most things, wouldnt really do it as much anymore though imho, not the same kind of humour!

I know you are but what am I?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Yeah I thought as much, I found alot of it cringey. Was weird seeing them with iphones and that though. When did this decline begin? I probably stopped watching around 2007 and twas still hilarious back then.

And as with any Simpsons thread I shall post this which sums up what happened beautifully. http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I started to slowly hate it as they began trying too hard to compete with and somewhat mimic the style of other shows, like the throwaway non sequitur style of humour milked by Family Guy.

Earlier on you have full seasons of classic episode after classic episode. Now it seems so forgettable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Did the emergence of the likes of Family Guy, American Dad have anything to do with decline I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Did the emergence of the likes of Family Guy, American Dad have anything to do with decline I wonder
    The article Buttonftw posted really is great and probably the best explanation you'll ever get for its decline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Always loved Season 4 and 5: the Conan years.

This is excellent viewing for anyone that hasn't seen it (and mediocre for anyone that has):

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ComfortKid wrote: »

No. The Simpsons should have ended on a high in 1999 when it was 10 years old. The dead horse they have been flogging since has well and truly turned to dust. Matt Groening himself is sick of it. Seasons 1 to 10 are still the best things to ever grace our televisions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

"Simspons should have ended 15 years ago" "Burn the bondholders"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

The Simpsons stopped being funny after the first decade. Never has the arse been ripped out of a show for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

And as with any Simpsons thread I shall post this which sums up what happened beautifully. http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

this link is so depressing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Muckracker

It should have ended about 15 years ago. It's become the kind of drawn out cash cow they used to mock. Harry Shearer has quit so now would be a good time to finally end it, but no they'll find a soundalike and just keep dragging it out, updating the timeline as they go. Next thing you know Grandad will have served in the Vietnam war and Skinner will be a Gulf war vet.

Having said that seasons 2-8 are some of the finest tv ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Always loved Season 4 and 5: the Conan years.

It's weird how people keep crediting Conan with so much of The Simpsons' success, he was just one writer out of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah they're certainly damaging it's legacy at this stage. I don't really get it, it's still going to make tonnes of money for years and years to come regardless of whether they continue making new episodes. It's the lottery ticket that will keep on winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's weird how people keep crediting Conan with so much of The Simpsons' success, he was just one writer out of many.

I've seen on other threads where some people bizzarely think that him leaving is what caused the decline of the show despite the show being great before he was there and great for a good while after he left.

• Advertisement

MONORAIL!

He deresves all the credit he gets just for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Seasons 1 to 10 are still the best things to ever grace our televisions though.

Disagree, a lot of episodes are terrible. While it was a great show, it was over hyped at times.
    It is awful now.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Disagree, a lot of episodes are terrible. While it was a great show, it was over hyped at times.
    It is awful now.

Which episodes in that period were terrible.

I'd argue that in seasons 2-9 there were barely any episodes that could be even considered mediocre by general TV standards never mind terrible.

Season 1 was OK and had a few poor episodes but that is to be expected as the show was only finding it's feet.Season ten was the first season where the show was obviously in decline.

I think the cracks could be seen in season 9 and possibly even season 8 but they were both very good seasons and a million times better than the crap we have now.

There are a couple of dicey episodes in Season 9 but having watched them again the episodes I sometimes am initially less impressed with get better with time.Season 8 is pure class I think its one of the shows strongest seasons in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

For me it was season 14 I think where it went bad and its best was season 3-9

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presumably all the things you watched as kids are equally as hilarious now as then? Or is the only difference that the Simpsons is still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm getting more sick of these types of threads about The Simpsons than The Simpsons itself.

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm getting more sick of these types of threads about The Simpsons than The Simpsons itself.

Yet you still posted in one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Wow, what episodes did you find funny from season 10 to 13?

Still some good episodes in those seasons not classic Simpsons comedy but still good, you could see a massive change from season 14 onwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I'm not crediting Conan with anymore credit than he deserves. I referred to those two seasons as the 'Conan years' as they were the only seasons when he was there. Had I just said that on it's own I could somewhat understand your comment but I also included a video of a Simpson's 'writers' reunion where he and other writers on the show spoke about working together during those years. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to point out that there were other writers on the show at that time also as it's pretty damn obvious from my post that I am fully aware of that.. but sure thanks anyway :)

Advertisement