Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Simpsons

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

callaway92 wrote:
    I'm getting more sick of these types of threads about The Simpsons than The Simpsons itself.

Don't look at the threads then? It's really that simple!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm not crediting Conan with anymore credit than he deserves. I referred to those two seasons as the 'Conan years' as they were the only seasons when he was there. Had I just said that on it's own I could somewhat understand your comment but I also included a video of a Simpson's 'writers' reunion where he and other writers on the show spoke about working together during those years. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to point out that there were other writers on the show at that time also as it's pretty damn obvious from my post that I am fully aware of that.. but sure thanks anyway :)

Because so many people make the mistake of thinking Conan was the reason for the decline when you call his time there "the Conan years" it's not unreasonable to assume you're making the same error.

I didn't read your post that way but I can see how someone would even with the video included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Must be a huge audience for the new episodes seems their still making them.

Where that audience is I haven't a clue .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I think this thread gets started once a year.

The Simpsons hasn't been funny in 14 years. People be acting like it's something new.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »

JustTheOne wrote: »

The irony of your username!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

DareGod wrote:
    The Simpsons hasn't been funny in 14 years. People be acting like it's something new.

I found it funny less than 10 years ago, everyone's different. And as I said, I havnt watched it at all in 8 years so it is news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Only said it in another thread recently but the all singing, all dancing episode killed it for me.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Only said it in another thread recently but the all singing, all dancing episode killed it for me.

For me, the 300th episode was the nail in the coffin. It was the ep where Bart divorced his parents and went to live on his own in the same apartment block as Tony Hawk. There was such a build up to it at the time, and I don't think I laughed once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

DareGod wrote: »
    For me, the 300th episode was the nail in the coffin. It was the ep where Bart divorced his parents and went to live on his own in the same apartment block as Tony Hawk. There was such a build up to it at the time, and I don't think I laughed once.

Just checked that ep is in season 14 which is where I felt it went downhill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

cloud493 wrote: »
    No its gotten worse, this is a much discussed topic on the internet. I have watched every single episode of the simpsons, and the decline in quality is clear.

All the fun went out of it when they killed off Maud Flanders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

They killed The Simpsons with The Principal and the Pauper.

Up to that it was the best thing on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was in decline big time by that 300th episode, but it was still very watchable all the same, which isn't bad considering it was at season 14 at that point. From season 16 or so onwards, I stopped finding any merit in it at all. Same thing with Family Guy for the last few seasons, just painful. South Park on the other hand remains fairly high quality (for the most part) which is quite an achievement considering it's almost on season 19 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I was saying bu-urns

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It used to be about simple and real issues that the common family could relate to like going camping, fighting with the neighbouring kids and visiting a theme park. Stuff you could relate to. When Lady Gaga starts showing up in episodes it's time to throw in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It was in decline big time by that 300th episode, but it was still very watchable all the same, which isn't bad considering it was at season 14 at that point. From season 16 or so onwards, I stopped finding any merit in it at all. Same thing with Family Guy for the last few seasons, just painful. South Park on the other hand remains fairly high quality (for the most part) which is quite an achievement considering it's almost on season 19 now.

South Park for me is the opposite of The Simpsons with the early episodes being really bad now and the later ones being brilliant.

It kinda got a new lease of life when they were able to produce an episode a week and became parody show of whatever the big news story of the week was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I find the newer episodes are just so boring. Theres nothing engaging about them at all. At the risk of sounding like a hipster...its gone too mainstream!

Somebody mentioned already about their use of Iphones in the newer episodes, I dont know why but that irks me so! As well as all the political shyte. Just give me Homer acting the oblivious buffoon a la the Frank Grimey Grimes episode. I dont give a crap what his views on the war in Afghanistan are!

There are no funny one liners from the likes of Moe or The Sea Captain anymore either. Moe, same is mentioned in that Dead Homers Society link, who was once a sleasy conman bar owner, is now just a depressed lonely sadcase. Its not funny. It drains the life out of the show. Its like everyone has feelings now, even the once evil, unforgiving Mr.Burns.

I want the Moe that smuggles pandas, not this new sh!t version of him. Same goes for most characters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Flanders has gone from being annoyingly Christian but a good person who'll help anyone out, to an obnoxious unlikeable fundamentalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Every so often I hear people defend new episodes and say they're actually really good and full of great gags but anytime I catch it the opposite is always true.
    I'm of the view that the decline has undoubtedly been massive, but there is the occasional pleasant surprise, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Father,_the_Son,_and_the_Holy_Guest_Star

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Girls_Just_Want_to_Have_Sums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Cool
    There are a couple of dicey episodes in Season 9 but having watched them again the episodes I sometimes am initially less impressed with get better with time.Season 8 is pure class I think its one of the shows strongest seasons in my opinion.
    Yeah the bar was set so high that any tiny cracks were really noticeable at the time (e.g. in my opinion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_School_Confidential and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_on_the_Road) whereas those episodes just seem brilliant now I think..
    Presumably all the things you watched as kids are equally as hilarious now as then? Or is the only difference that the Simpsons is still going?
    It's very definite that The Simpsons has drastically declined in quality. Lisa On Ice from season six (1994) was just on TV, and it still has me absolutely blown away by its brilliance, whereas the vast majority of episodes since 1999 don't even start to match that kind of quality, and have kept on going downhill, with the very occasional exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Omackeral wrote: »
    It used to be about simple and real issues that the common family could relate to like going camping, fighting with the neighbouring kids and visiting a theme park. Stuff you could relate to. When Lady Gaga starts showing up in episodes it's time to throw in the towel.

"Oh wow it's *insert celebrity name* who just happens to be in Springfield"

FFS:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm of the view that the decline has undoubtedly been massive, but there is the occasional pleasant surprise, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Father,_the_Son,_and_the_Holy_Guest_Star

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Girls_Just_Want_to_Have_Sums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Cool

Yeah the bar was set so high that any tiny cracks were really noticeable at the time (e.g. in my opinion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_School_Confidential and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_on_the_Road) whereas those episodes just seem brilliant now I think..

It's very definite that The Simpsons has drastically declined in quality. Lisa On Ice from season six (1994) was just on TV, and it still has me absolutely blown away by its brilliance, whereas the vast majority of episodes since 1999 don't even start to match that kind of quality, and have kept on going downhill, with the very occasional exception.

Grade School Confidential definitely isn't a sign of the decline as in my opinion it is one of the all time classic episodes.It has so many brilliant lines and Bart of The Road is a pretty good one as well.

Grade School Confidential definitely isn't a sign of the decline as in my opinion it is one of the all time classic episodes.It has so many brilliant lines and Bart of The Road is a pretty good one as well.
    Oh yeah they were extremely subtle cracks that I spotted, but I did think they weren't *quite* as brilliant as previous episodes. As I said, the bar was set extremely high.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Really good episode on a couple of months back in America, Flanders got a new dog, first time I have enjoyed the show in years, I still watch every new one just out of habit really.

Really good episode on a couple of months back in America, Flanders got a new dog, first time I have enjoyed the show in years, I still watch every new one just out of habit really.
    That was on here recently. I wouldn't say it was really good, but it was reasonably enjoyable. It's sad that that's what it has come to, but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I haven't seen those episodes so can't comment except to say that I can't comment.
    Yeah the bar was set so high that any tiny cracks were really noticeable at the time (e.g. in my opinion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_School_Confidential and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_on_the_Road) whereas those episodes just seem brilliant now I think.

I wouldn't say they're anywhere near brilliant but they have good moments in them and are relatively coherent compared to what came after.
    That was on here recently. I wouldn't say it was really good, but it was reasonably enjoyable. It's sad that that's what it has come to, but what can you do.

Just don't look! Just don't look!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Never got the hype over the programme, to be honest. Looking at their undoubted popularity, I would appear to be in the minority on that though.

Harry Shearer's left, Bart is supposed to be killed off (guess Nancy Cartwright is leaving so), Homer and Marge are supposed to break up - just finish it already ffs.

I hate when they bring serious reality into it too - part of its original charm was the way it was so off-the-wall and surreal and making light of serious stuff in a good-natured way. Barney becoming teetotal - sorry, but his alcoholism was hilarious and at the same time the depiction didn't shy away from the reality of alcoholism. Maud Flanders dying, Apu marrying and becoming a father... those storylines sucked (although the octuplets episode has some funny moments IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Homer Badman is still my favourite.

'Simpson scandal update, Homer sleeps nude in an oxygen tent, believing it gives him sexual powers!'

Advertisement