Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Dublin October 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I kinda wanted to see Pendred do well on Saturday, he has been eh... uninspiring to say the least in the UFC but he gets an awful lot of stick for it on here and especially on reddit with the ironic GOAT status he has been given.

Jesus that fight was bad though :pac:

Won't be anywhere near a headline slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I can definitely see Gunni headlining. Can't see it being anybody else. Hopefully Hoolahan and Duffy are high up on the card too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bit of talk on the Twitter machine about the possibility of Gunnar v Thompson for the main event. John Kavanagh tweeting about how it'd be a good matchup and Dana tweeted Gunnar telling him not to forgot to "come see me". That could just be referring to giving him some sort of performance bonus from Saturday but you'd never know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is there any presale for the newsletter like they used to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Tinie wrote: »
    Is there any presale for the newsletter like they used to?

There will be much closer to the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gunni - Thomson would be a good headliner, bug task for Gunnar.
    Parke v Sanchez (again) maybe?
    Duffy v a top 30 assuming he wins in Glasgow.
    Hoolahan, Pendred, Seedy should all be in contention. Let's bring Amirkhani over from Finland too, he seems good craic.

I'm expecting this Dublin card to have a higher standard of fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

aishling daly?

aishling daly?

Yep, she should be another guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is Ais doesn't win this weekend Dublin might be the last chance saloon for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

I hope I'm wrong but I think UFC are going to put their crappiest fighters on the card. McGregor obviously isn't on it and he was almost the only decent fighter on the last one. Irish MMA fans are much better off saving up and going to see UFC abroad, its just not worth the money to watch a bunch of prelim fighters and fighters who are only in the UFC because they are Irish

• Advertisement

its just not worth the money to watch a bunch of prelim fighters and fighters who are only in the UFC because they are Irish

Yeah, to hell with supporting our local fighters when they make the big stage...

That's the kind of mentality of those thousands in Vegas who didn't bother showing up to support Neil Seery, Cathal Pendred and Gunnar Nelson last Saturday night but poured in waving their flags and being patriotic when McGregor was about to come to the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Is Ais doesn't win this weekend Dublin might be the last chance saloon for her.

She's not fighting this weekend, or have I missed something? :) She commented on Twitter a while back that Dublin will be her next fight.

Paully D wrote: »
    She's not fighting this weekend, or have I missed something? :) She commented on Twitter a while back that Dublin will be her next fight.

Ah poop, where the hell did I get that notion?

Could have sworn she was fighting in Glasgow!

Must be still jetlagged...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I hope I'm wrong but I think UFC are going to put their crappiest fighters on the card. McGregor obviously isn't on it and he was almost the only decent fighter on the last one. Irish MMA fans are much better off saving up and going to see UFC abroad, its just not worth the money to watch a bunch of prelim fighters and fighters who are only in the UFC because they are Irish

Still going. It's taking place down the road for a lot of people. Why wouldn't you go. I don't agree with that at all. Just cos they're not already champions doesn't make them crappy. Are you saying Paddy Holohan is crappy?

If DW wants he can get big fighters for Dublin, our crowd has made it an appealing venue. Add a good main event to our Irish fighters (including Gunni), plus some European fighters and we could have a much higher quality card than last year.

Last year was entertaining but fighter quality was low. Gunni fought a tuf failure, so did Pendred, Parke fought a Japanese newbie etc. Now Gunni is top 15, Ais top 20, Parke top 30, Pendred and Holohan much more well known. We should see more well known opponents for our guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Give us Ben Rothwell vs the winner of Mir or Duffee. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

That_Guy wrote: »
    Give us Ben Rothwell

Good call. A loud Irish crowd might drown out a repeat of his creepy post fight interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah, to hell with supporting our local fighters when they make the big stage...

That's the kind of mentality of those thousands in Vegas who didn't bother showing up to support Neil Seery, Cathal Pendred and Gunnar Nelson last Saturday night but poured in waving their flags and being patriotic when McGregor was about to come to the cage.

well 6 of us in vegas for fights missed seery fight due to one of our group having a ticket issue, but were there for rest and have to say gunnie got a great reaction. I felt pendred got under supported but then he brings it on himself with the way he fights.

If DW wants he can get big fighters for Dublin, our crowd has made it an appealing venue. Add a good main event to our Irish fighters (including Gunni), plus some European fighters and we could have a much higher quality card than last year.

Last year was entertaining but fighter quality was low. Gunni fought a tuf failure, so did Pendred,

Ha is pendred not by definition also a tuf reject. anyway pendred needs a good fight he got handed a win in boston by judges because hes irish, the fight in mexico was the worst i ever saw tbh. so ihope he improves, i`m much more intrested to see the hooligan he should bet more of a push than pendred does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Ha is pendred not by definition also a tuf reject. anyway pendred needs a good fight he got handed a win in boston by judges because hes irish, the fight in mexico was the worst i ever saw tbh. so ihope he improves, i`m much more intrested to see the hooligan he should bet more of a push than pendred does.

Did you miss his spectacle against Howard??

• Advertisement

Hardly, he won 4 in a row. If you have 5+ fights post tuf I wouldn't call it a failure. King on the other hand is 0-1 in ufc and failed a drug test. Has since got his p45.

Pendred won't get a big fight but he'll get better than Mike King. Regardless his fight will probably be boring, just pointing out that we should see bigger names.

Did you miss his spectacle against Howard??

lol for a second i thought you were serious...

Hardly, he won 4 in a row. If you have 5+ fights post tuf I wouldn't call it a failure. King on the other hand is 0-1 in ufc and failed a drug test. Has since got his p45.

Pendred won't get a big fight but he'll get better than Mike King. Regardless his fight will probably be boring, just pointing out that we should see bigger names.

I meant it as in he appeared on tuf and lost without getting to final.

well agreed king is a below average fighter, but he is one of penderds wins.
    Gasan Umalatov fight was another snoozer for his second.
    sam spencer was robbed and i hope you acknowledge that because almost every notable person in mma agrees.
    the montano fight was a horror show, although thats not pendreds fault in fairness he tried to make a fight of it.
    and now his first loss to howard was a terrible borefest as well.

anyway i want to see pendred do well of course im just worried hes not exciting and his record could very easily be 3-2 (should be 3-2) when the novelty wears off (the irish thing) he looks like a guy who could be very cuttable

I agree with all that, but I still wouldn't call him a tuf reject. He's probably done the best out of that tuf since leaving (albeit that was the lowest standard season of them all).

yeah i agree with you there a poor season, i hope he gets more exciting is all i mean hes a big guy lol.. at ufc 189 in vegas for his fight cheering was high then got lower and lower and lower then heard some boos, not good with the crowd he had.

needs a real good matchup next and an exciting fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

well agreed king is a below average fighter, but he is one of penderds wins.
    Gasan Umalatov fight was another snoozer for his second.
    sam spencer was robbed and i hope you acknowledge that because almost every notable person in mma agrees.
    the montano fight was a horror show, although thats not pendreds fault in fairness he tried to make a fight of it.
    and now his first loss to howard was a terrible borefest as well.

anyway i want to see pendred do well of course im just worried hes not exciting and his record could very easily be 3-2 (should be 3-2) when the novelty wears off (the irish thing) he looks like a guy who could be very cuttable

I have serious concerns for the guy, his style of fighting is just horrible to watch, which is a shame because he seems like a decent lad and of course we all want to see the Irish lads do well in UFC. In terms of his offence, all he seems to be able to do is push a guy to the cage and hold him there. Granted against King, he got a nice sub on him which won him the fight but that really is the only exciting moment in his UFC career. I would fear that if he loses his next fight, he may well end up getting cut. If he was an exciting fighter and lost a few, that would be fine but with his style of fighting, I really don't think he can afford to lose 2 in a row.

I have serious concerns for the guy, his style of fighting is just horrible to watch, which is a shame because he seems like a decent lad and of course we all want to see the Irish lads do well in UFC. In terms of his offence, all he seems to be able to do is push a guy to the cage and hold him there. Granted against King, he got a nice sub on him which won him the fight but that really is the only exciting moment in his UFC career. I would fear that if he loses his next fight, he may well end up getting cut. If he was an exciting fighter and lost a few, that would be fine but with his style of fighting, I really don't think he can afford to lose 2 in a row.

That is exactly what i mean, he fights the exact style that dana hates i.e. up against cage and lay and pray. He needs a break to figure something out is hopefully all he needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

That is exactly what i mean, he fights the exact style that dana hates i.e. up against cage and lay and pray. He needs a break to figure something out is hopefully all he needs

Throw a punch, for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

He has a decent jab and decent leg kicks, he just doesn't throw them enough and goes for stuff he just can't pull off without looking awkward. Every one of his fights i just spend 15 minutes shouting leg kick but he barely ever throws it.

• Advertisement

If I'm being completely honest, I think he's a good athlete and very big for the weight class, but every other aspect of his game is either average or below average.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement