Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

DoraDelite wrote: »
    I know, it's the last one I have booked but I'm eyeing up three more weeks before season end... :D

Three. more. weeks? :eek:

Well for ya. I'll have a long weekend in Spring, if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Life is short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I only get six days a year.

Watching snow build up in resort, was down to 50cm up top and 35cm bottom

now 120cm top and 70cm bottom.

Off to Flaine in february.

Glad rain has stopped. Now to get off couch and do squat and lunges.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Heading off to Zell am See in the morning (bright and very early). Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

kal7 wrote: »
    Now to get off couch and do squat and lunges.

Definitely missed this prep on the slopes last week. Was thinking I need to be doing two months of warrior poses before every jaunt.

Am actually pretty scared by the degradation of my bodies capacity to take the hits of a days skiing as I approach 40, need some yoga to stop the rot I think.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    Definitely missed this prep on the slopes last week. Was thinking I need to be doing two months of warrior poses before every jaunt.

Am actually pretty scared by the degradation of my bodies capacity to take the hits of a days skiing as I approach 40, need some yoga to stop the rot I think.

Am off to the gym as soon as my wife wakes up to take over the kids. I hate the bloody place but there is no escaping the difference being fit makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Heading to Ischgl tomorrow, snow looking good!

Ahhh another week for me to wait before I try out Ischgl, Kappl and anywhere else I can find in the area.

I'll be passing that number this year. To mark the occasion I'll be going back to Austria for another 2 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

There is tons of snow falling at the moment.... and it was tough going on the legs today but the sun is due to start shining Monday and there will be great conditions.... enjoy everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

cormee wrote: »
    Am off to the gym as soon as my wife wakes up to take over the kids. I hate the bloody place but there is no escaping the difference being fit makes.

Picked up one of these €10 balance boards from Lidl, I reckon that improving your sense of balance is the most overlooked aspect of preparing for your ski trip.
    Last year, if I had a few moments while doing cooking or whatever, I would stand on one foot with my eyes closed, and see how long it took to fall over! :pac:

picture018.jpg

• Advertisement

The annoying thing is I am fit, but I think years of running has taken it's toll on my joints. And in the past skiing wasn't a problem, or at least I got on with it. But last two or three years have been difficult.

Meh suck it up! As we speak I'm in the process of booking trip number two (while secretly thinking of ways to in fact make it trip number three).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

We should all be able to balance on one leg for 30 seconds without falling or needing support.

If you get good at it, use balance board as above

or close eyes

or bounce a ball off wall and catch to make it more fun and effective.

I am 43 now, my quads are ok with skiing if I do my 50 squats, for two weeks beforehand.

I need lower abdominals to be better though, to stop me falling out back door onto tails and losing control, especially on 3rd or fourth mogul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just back form Austria driving was difficult this morning
    Gutted its over cant wait to go back
    definitely you need to be fit but as I close in on the half century I didnt have any concerns this time.
    Was in Kitz for the F1 show on Walde some craic.
    Was skiing down Thursday and I felt like 007 with the old WWII planes over head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Introducing a guest too off piste today! Conditions are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd consider myself very fit from doing about 40 miles a week xc running training most the winter, but it did nothing to prepare my quads for skiing ha, after every single flatout red they would be on utter fire, I'd usually have to potter down the next run ha. Before the next trip I'll definitely be doing some squats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Back from Mayrhofen today.

Was concerned about poor snow conditions before going but pistes were all great. Off piste areas still need more snow to get up to speed but were improving a lot over the course of the week. Was a huge dump of snow coming down as we were leaving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

St Anton in 2 weeks... Conditions sound good out there but hard to know haven't heard anything first hand.

Fattes wrote: »
    Introducing a guest too off piste today! Conditions are ok

Jaysus face shots

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Ahhh another week for me to wait before I try out Ischgl, Kappl and anywhere else I can find in the area.

Ischgl, what a resort, you'll love it. has it all really, loads of runs, off piste within sight of the main runs and well looked after, as much apres as you can handle. Jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Jaysus face shots

weather looks terrible, can't see anything. I feel sorry for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 adricky

Rew wrote: »
    St Anton in 2 weeks... Conditions sound good out there but hard to know haven't heard anything first hand.

Just back from 2 weeks there. Conditions were great!

i.imgur.com/kg7XR7x.jpg
    i.imgur.com/H00hzDV.jpg
    i.imgur.com/4zEptRN.jpg
    i.imgur.com/NvvPR9S.jpg
    i.imgur.com/0XPlQOS.jpg

adricky wrote: »

i.imgur.com/kg7XR7x.jpg
    i.imgur.com/H00hzDV.jpg
    i.imgur.com/4zEptRN.jpg
    i.imgur.com/NvvPR9S.jpg
    i.imgur.com/0XPlQOS.jpg

Looks amazing thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Rew wrote: »

My friends are there at the moment, conditions are amazing. Nearly too much snow, all you need now are some bluebird days!

olaola wrote: »
    My friends are there at the moment, conditions are amazing. Nearly too much snow, all you need now are some bluebird days!

2 more weeks of snow then the blue bird :-D

I'm starting to get excited now!! 7 of us going, hotel looks very nice couple fb the lads have been to St Anton before so should be mega. Glad I warmed up the legs in the states last weekend, squats for the next 2 weeks now!!

weather looks terrible, can't see anything. I feel sorry for you.

Great thing about bad weather means less skiers and more snow to you.

Storm stayed all weekend bluebird tomorrow and no tourists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

that looks amazing
    adricky wrote: »

Heading to Ischgl tomorrow, snow looking good!

Five days, three hours to go.

Soiling self with excitement! :D

Not a bad morning that!

Five days, three hours to go.

Soiling self with excitement! :D

Ugh, think I'll avoid you on the slopes.

• Advertisement

Ugh, think I'll avoid you on the slopes.

Now *there's* an idea for getting to the front of the lift queues quickly, and with minimal damage to my board.

Advertisement