Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

cormee wrote: »
    I was in Les Arcs (2000) last year. Every one in the group, including myself, hated it. Monstrosity of a settlement, no night life, and the snow was awful. OK off-piste though.

Just back from 2000, i agree with you on the settlement bit, it kinda feels like a boarding school in spots and very quiet. It seems like its suffering the development of 1950 below it. But i didn't care not overly bothered by the lack of apres. Would go to 1800 next time though, wouldn't do 1950 too expensive. Got cut off 2 days due to bad weather but gone around with a bus otherwise everything is reasonably linked.

Snow was decent towards mid to end of week , off piste i found was pretty good too. I was impressed with the area as a whole , coulda done with more blues that werent just traverses but thats not something that overly bothers me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Rew wrote: »
    St Anton and Lech last week was like being a war zone, they were bombing constantly. First day out they shut all the blue and red runs from the main lift down (Galzig) as they had to bomb an avalanche onto them. Lead to everyone heading home on a long steep black with moguls like cars on it.

Sounds crazy. Came back from Ischgl on the 30th Jan, the fluctuating temps there at that time was just weird. The weather was going from freezing to a big thaw within a day, spring-like conditions. Off to Mayrhofen at the end of the month and I'm hoping the snowfall continues and will hopefully stable things up for the rest of the season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

stevire wrote: »
    Sounds crazy. Came back from Ischgl on the 30th Jan, the fluctuating temps there at that time was just weird. The weather was going from freezing to a big thaw within a day, spring-like conditions. Off to Mayrhofen at the end of the month and I'm hoping the snowfall continues and will hopefully stable things up for the rest of the season

We got mega snow fall Sunday morning followed by mega rain Sunday afternoon and all night. It was crazy. It went back to mega snow then Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭trashcan

Off to Westendorf Saturday week so hoping conditions hold up. Looks good from the webcams so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Heading to les Arcs 1800 on Saturday week. Work has been mental for months, so I haven't given it much thought until this week. The snow forecast looks good if it all falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Just one of those days

Heading to les Arcs 1800 on Saturday week. Work has been mental for months, so I haven't given it much thought until this week. The snow forecast looks good if it all falls.

We went last year, if you fancy taking you life in your hands go do the Colorado luge in La Plagne, easily the most dangerous thing I think I've ever done, we passed by one guy who had smashed up his face. The one in Les Arcs is much tamer but still good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks, going to Livigno in 2 weeks. Never been before, very much a beginner still (only have 2 weeks skiing done). Staying at the Mottolino side of the town. Can anyone recommend a place to rent skis n boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mulbot

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks, going to Livigno in 2 weeks. Never been before, very much a beginner still (only have 2 weeks skiing done). Staying at the Mottolino side of the town. Can anyone recommend a place to rent skis n boots?

I haven't been there,this is just to say have a look online for the ski hire,itt usually works out quite a bit cheaper,AlpineResorts.com or Skiset. They will let you put in your resort etc and give you shop options-it's a good way to save a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Vegeta wrote: »

I'd recommend to check the prices and shop locations on the skimium/skiset/intersport sites and then contact the shop most convenient to your location directly. They will generally at least match if not better the website prices ( if they don't a little mention of well it's x price on the this website they'll soon come around) If there are a few of you you can haggle too.

I'd personally prefer to pay the price listed on the website directly to the shop rather than the guys running the big brand internet website (who take a cut). Keep the money local. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

We went last year, if you fancy taking you life in your hands go do the Colorado luge in La Plagne, easily the most dangerous thing I think I've ever done, we passed by one guy who had smashed up his face. The one in Les Arcs is much tamer but still good fun.

I did the bobsleigh run when we were there 7 or 8 years ago. I wasn't as bad as this chap, but I was glad to get out of it at the bottom!

http://youtu.be/ATXPq0FIC_4

Will give the luge a go, we always say we will do it when we are in a resort that has one, but never get round to it.

I did the bobsleigh run when we were there 7 or 8 years ago. I wasn't as bad as this chap, but I was glad to get out of it at the bottom!

Will give the luge a go, we always say we will do it when we are in a resort that has one, but never get round to it.

Ha he does not look like he enjoyed that!

The luge has the threat of actual bodily harm though. no cage!

Friend of mine managed to launch off the side and luckily land in some powder:
    https://youtu.be/1CBtqnCw9z4?t=2m5s

Then went on around the corner to find a guy who wasn't so lucky!
    https://youtu.be/1CBtqnCw9z4?t=3m9s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I guessing he pissed himself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

stecleary wrote: »
    I guessing he pissed himself :eek:

He looked like he was pissing himself before it even started moving.
    Wonder what the soiling charge on a luge is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭prunudo

Seem to becoming more of a common thing, seeing them reported. Not sure if that's because there are more deaths or I'm just more aware of them in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

jvan wrote: »
    Seem to becoming more of a common thing, seeing them reported. Not sure if that's because there are more deaths or I'm just more aware of them in the media.

The weather this year has been so varied, there's loads of avalanches. It goes from raining to huge dumps with snow on an unstable base.

Weather and conditions don't kill people, bad dicisions and ignorance does. Pic attached was taken here at the weekend and people were skiing under this face

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fattes wrote: »
    Weather and conditions don't kill people, bad dicisions and ignorance does. Pic attached was taken here at the weekend and people were skiing under this face

Absolutely, educate yourself, read the signs and if in doubt stay on piste. Unfortunately the majority of people in a ski resort don't realise the danger that can lurk not that far from the edge of a piste.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

stevire wrote: »

I was in the area that week. I stayed down the road in Galtür. Google the name if curious.

I left Austria on the 6th. The day that avalanche caught the Czechs. For 3 days and nights before it snowed constantly. On the 5th we dug the car out ready to leave on the 6th at about 9am. The after noon of the 5th the sun came out and melted most of the snow. A little annoyed having dug the car out. The morning of the 6th it was -7c. Absolutely crazy conditions.

Most of Ischgl closed one day, can't remember which one, and plenty of snow bombs dropped. You could see the craters on the Swiz side. They fired off the gazex in Wirl one day. Now that was an incredible sound.

I'll be in hof in March for 2 weeks. Itching to get back to tux.

• Advertisement

I was in the area that week. I stayed down the road in Galtür. Google the name if curious.

I left Austria on the 6th. The day that avalanche caught the Czechs. For 3 days and nights before it snowed constantly. On the 5th we dug the car out ready to leave on the 6th at about 9am. The after noon of the 5th the sun came out and melted most of the snow. A little annoyed having dug the car out. The morning of the 6th it was -7c. Absolutely crazy conditions.

Most of Ischgl closed one day, can't remember which one, and plenty of snow bombs dropped. You could see the craters on the Swiz side. They fired off the gazex in Wirl one day. Now that was an incredible sound.

We were in St Anton that week. On the Monday it snowed all morning then rained all afternoon and all night. Tuesday was bluebird (we headed to Lech, nice spot) Flew out of Innsbruck. Wed, Thurs and Fri it snowed non-stop. We were flying out of Innsbruck Saturday and one of the rescue helicopters from the big avalanche that hit the Czechs came in and out, we didn't know at the time but knew to look at it something was up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Have been recommended Galtur a couple of times, will deffo look into it if heading back towards Ischgl. Hopefully they sorted out the avalanche issues in that area ;)

There was a huge melt on the whole week we were there, Fri morning (29th) it was raining. Then two days later a huge dump on the Sunday, rising temps again on Mon/Tues, crazy ****.

February is a good month so far, and I know it's a bit out yet but there's a good long range forecast developing for the end of the month. I'm starting to think you're stalking me, off to Mayrhofen at the end of the month too! Hoping the long range forecast holds up, will be the week of the season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭maddness

I'm also off to Mayrhofen in two weeks for the first time.
    Any tips for the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

maddness wrote: »
    I'm also off to Mayrhofen in two weeks for the first time.
    Any tips for the place?

Gasser for grub , its a butchers across the road from the penken lift that does hot food , savage stuff and good value.

If you are experienced you should probably spare a day or two for somewhere else in the zillertal because you'll cover the mayrhofen area pretty fast. Hintertux obviously being one of them. Hochfugen some argue has the best off piste.

Conditions tend to be a bit more snow sure in Gerlos and Kongingsleiten, but if dutch midterm is still on you maybe better avoiding it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Does anyone here have any experience of Garmisch-Partenkirchen? My regular group are considering going somewhere closer to Munich airport than the usual Austrian places - Zell an See, Mayrhofen, Kitz etc, and Garmisch looks like it fits the bill. But the total piste length looks like something like only 40km? Is this right? Does it link up easily enough with other areas to give a bit of variety?

And what is the town like? (We do like to have a bit of fun in the evenings so we do;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭maddness

If you are experienced you should probably spare a day or two for somewhere else in the zillertal because you'll cover the mayrhofen area pretty fast. Hintertux obviously being one of them. Hochfugen some argue has the best off piste.
    D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

Where's Hochfugen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Next resort back the valley from Mayr is Kaltenbach / Hochfugen. You can ski between them. Train stops in Kaltenbach not sure about Fugen.

Also Zillertal Arena and Hintertux in same valley and I think on same pass.

dogsears wrote: »
    Does anyone here have any experience of Garmisch-Partenkirchen? My regular group are considering going somewhere closer to Munich airport than the usual Austrian places - Zell an See, Mayrhofen, Kitz etc, and Garmisch looks like it fits the bill. But the total piste length looks like something like only 40km? Is this right? Does it link up easily enough with other areas to give a bit of variety?

And what is the town like? (We do like to have a bit of fun in the evenings so we do;))

Garmisch is an Amazing ski resort and great for 4 day break. Pretty steep actually really steep and a lot of fun. Yep it's small, a little disjointed between the main ski areas and it is quite low and can suffer from poor snow especially at the bottom.

Lively enough après but town gets quiet in the evening a large NATO base in the area means a lot of English and U.S. around but after 19:00 they all seem to Disappear. The old Olympic stadium and ski jump are pretty cool to visit.

And for your inner teenage giggles it has a mountain called ****!

It is a resort o would tell everyone to visit once if the conditions allow

Sean Petite is in resort here and I just watched him stick two of the sickest lines ever. He is mind blowingly good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

One of my favourite skiers to watch. He almost looks clumsy but is so so good. Looks like he could have picked a good week for it some big numbers coming up on snow maps over next seven days.

Advertisement