Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Overheal wrote: »
    edit: It was endless space, I found it boring.

Yeah I gave Endless Space 2 a quick go and got turned off it pretty quickly. The exact same happened when I played Endless Legend. I love the Civ games and Stellaris whereas the Endless games feel a bit soulless in comparison. I'm only tentatively keeping an eye on Humankind, which is the next big game from the Endless series devs, though it does look interesting.

I myself have been going through my first ever Witcher 3 playthrough; well, I've gotten as far as Blood and Wine so it's more a playthrough including DLC's. Amazing.

Also playing the Titanfall 2 campaign for the first time - the gunplay as a pilot is very satisfying!

Also about to pause my progress so far in Valheim - not going to go near the final boss until the next big update is out. Just to get more out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Played about 10 hours of Stellaris over the last couple of days, and am just getting to the point where I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I can build stuff on my planets and build ships and do research and all that but I have absolutely no idea what are good and bad choices. Also have started to get bombarded with diplomacy stuff and again have no idea what I'm doing. Think I need to read up on it a bit or watch a bit of a let's play on YouTube or something. I'm definitely intrigued though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,745 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Playing Control from my Humble, got the Ult DLC add while it was still available and cheap. Me and the OH are having a blast, it's given her jumpscares :D though I wish there were a few more powers to meddle with - not that the current slate of powers don't already tax my gaming mouse hotkeys. Is it weird that I was impressed that the game defaulted to gaming mouse button support? But I mean, when you're panicking you're still going to confuse all of your dash/shield/throw buttons anyway :pac: oh my god that refrigerator. Killer rock ballad too from friends of the game's creative head:

Super catchy, also played over the game in combat it makes things feel quite kinetic.

You always wish for more games like this. Got plenty of Valve/HL/Portal vibes. I'm not a horror person but this type of science-paranormal 4th wall warping "New Weird" as some wikis call it, is very attractive as an idea to me. They could have very well spent years packing DLC into this game and it would have been canonical and thrilling, but I'm impressed they took a bow and are looking to make the next IP in this continuity the studio has established.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

dalyboy wrote: »
    Bought a super console x a couple of months ago.
    It plays older style retro consoles. Amiga , cpc 464 , PlayStation 1 , Dreamcast, N64 , SNES , MAME etc etc

Very far removed from today’s level of technical capabilities however I must say I’m getting a lot of value from my €100 outlay.

52000 games pre built in.
    2 wireless controllers
    Tiny console the size of two cigarette boxes

If your into retro you could do worse.

Did it come with the correct plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So on top of the games I already playing I decided to give OpenTTD a go and I am 16h+ deep already. I never knew I might enjoy pure transport game.
    I kind of enjoyed trains in Factorio, but in this little gem, I can just go HAM with train systems and its pretty damn fun.

Kind of trying to find a modern equivalent of this type of game and closest I can find is Transport Fever 2. Just need to wait a sale and pick it up, as I missed it few days ago as I only discovered my interest in these type of games now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

After finishing Cyberpunk last week and bouncing of Satisfactory(which is strange as I thought id like it but it feels too grindy or something,also a bit boring.) I decided to give Trackmania a go.

It has really caught my attention. Over the last few days I tried Trackmania 2 Stadiums,Trackmania 2020 and I've tried Trackmania Turbo on console.

Once it clicks and you start to see what it's about it gets very addictive. Also been a nice to relax with in the evening after studying for exams during the day

I reckon ill be sticking with stadiums for now. With a little bit of MP in Turbo on console if I can convince friends. 2020 looks and plays well but not into a subscription model of monetization.

EoinHef wrote: »
    After finishing Cyberpunk last week and bouncing of Satisfactory(which is strange as I thought id like it but it feels too grindy or something,also a bit boring.) I decided to give Trackmania a go.

It has really caught my attention. Over the last few days I tried Trackmania 2 Stadiums,Trackmania 2020 and I've tried Trackmania Turbo on console.

Once it clicks and you start to see what it's about it gets very addictive. Also been a nice to relax with in the evening after studying for exams during the day

I reckon ill be sticking with stadiums for now. With a little bit of MP in Turbo on console if I can convince friends. 2020 looks and plays well but not into a subscription model of monetization.

Ah that depends on your approach. If you craft a lot by hand it's definitely going to feel grindy. Logistics is also another huge issue. Automate things sooner the better, even if its at a slow rate. Right now I think the transition to T8 and T9 is too daunting but before that the game is pretty flowy. The hoverpack definitely takes the grind feel away from a lot of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I’ll remember to give stellaris a shake. Cannot remember which space 4x I played most recently but I ended up hating it.
    Yeah I gave Endless Space 2 a quick go and got turned off it pretty quickly. The exact same happened when I played Endless Legend. I love the Civ games and Stellaris whereas the Endless games feel a bit soulless in comparison. I'm only tentatively keeping an eye on Humankind, which is the next big game from the Endless series devs, though it does look interesting.

If you're into Civ type games and sci-fi, maybe give Age of Wonders: Planetfall a look. It's on gamepass, but the race diversity, city design/building is excellent and combat, whilst similar to Endless Legend, is far better than that. The strategic map is really great, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I will say it's not quite to the Civ level, or Stellaris for that matter. It's definitely worth a shot though.

Surprised to find EA Play pass dropped ME Legendary on Day 1. So here we go! #Renegade?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Renegade broshep is better than paragon broshep, but both pale in comparison to femshep, as much as I love Mark Meer, particularly renegade femshep. Hale does a stellar job.

• Advertisement

Surprised to find EA Play pass dropped ME Legendary on Day 1. So here we go! #Renegade?

That's EA Play Pro which I'm pretty sure has all their games on day 1, it's not included on the EA Play that comes with Game Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just started Death Stranding. Cheap on Epic with 10euro off ticket so said id delay Days Gone . Bad sh1t crazy so far as I expected but its a lovely looking game..

Knockout city? Getting rave reviews but I don't think it looks great

Trying to get into Crusader Kings 3. Ireland is the tutorial so played some of that, got most of the island under my control, but then once my main dude died and my son took over everything went to complete ****. Am going to restart a few times until I get the hang of it but it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Playing "pine" which I got free on epic game store. Have a pile of games on that that i haven't installed.

Pretty decent, bit clunky and is short. I expect I will get about a week out of it before it is finished, but I am enjoying it. 5 different species who are all out in the world harvesting stuff, so alot of the stuff you come across has already been collected. Each species has a relationship with each of the others (including you) ranging from "kill on sight" to allied. And each has a dynamic economy so different species can get stronger or weaker depending on how successful they are versus each other and harvesting resources, you can influence their sucess as well as your relationship with them.

Having said that the world is much more complex than the actual gameplay, which is run around looking for resources (or killing other species to steal them), manage your relationship with the various species (you need to make friends with different species at different points in the game progress and becoming friendly with one will damage relationship with others), solving obstacle course like puzzles and crafting gear/items to influence the progress of other species.

Back playing Apex legends. It's still a mighty game, and they've added 3 vs 3 arenas which is a nice change.

There's currently an event on at the moment, with some nice skins to unlock etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Playing Days Gone and finding it a really immersive and enjoyable experience.

Dcully wrote: »
    Playing Days Gone and finding it a really immersive and enjoyable experience.

Played the start of it and found it really clunky on the keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Eve online - still playing it passively. Not even playing everyday, just popping in, when I feel like it. The whole training of skills while offline is the best.

Titans of Industry - kept an eye on it for long time and with 10eu voucher from Epic, I decided to pick it up. It has a good track record of developers working on game and each month adding more content and fixes. Its actually really fun game and a bit different to other management sims. The only thing I don't like about is ship battles and that you can't save your ship layouts so you can just copy it and keep producing them. The soundtrack on the other hand is freaking amazing.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker - got more in to it and unlocked more complex ships. Its a lot of fun and something very fresh gaming experience.

Transport fever 2 - after playing OpenTTD I discovered that I love Transport management games! A specially trains! Was waiting for this to go on sale and it finally did. Already lost a good few hours on campaign learning the ropes. Really loving it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm laughing my way through The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos. Easy-going, slick RPG with great x-com type combat. The Elf character cracks me up every time, especially when you open the map. DLC just got released too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭Glebee

uplay+ had an offer for me yesterday with a 6euro for a month over so resubbed. Wanted to completed Assassins Creed Odyssey as was nearly there at about 85% complete. Had to give up with it, so may crashes. Previously I dont remember it crashing as all. Going to just dive into AC: Valhalla for the next few weeks until sub runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭cheezums

playing WoW TBC classic and having an absolute blast. such a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Played a bit of San Andreas this evening. Man games have come a long way controls wise. It's mad shooting cops and running off and cars last pissing length before they catch on fire and blow up. Try to leave the starting city and cops come down on you real hard. It's still good fun driving around and shooting people but I don't think I will play the game properly as the controls are just too bad.

Last time I played this game properly was on the original Xbox.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Even now Rockstar are quite far behind the pack when it comes to controls. Red Dead 2, while a masterpiece, was a ****-show in terms of controls. It is just clunky and unintuitive.

It's bizarre for a studio with their resources. I have a feeling they are inclined to lean toward 'their' control style for consistency instead of an overhaul that might be jarring for seasoned players for a while.

I really wish they would just bite the bullet and overhaul it on the next release because it really does take the shine off and bring unnecessary frustration to what are otherwise brilliant games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Playing Days Gone, which I really like. I hope they make more DLC for it. Have Solasta waiting for me, I played the first five levels as part of Early Access and enjoyed it as a much simpler BG3.

Even now Rockstar are quite far behind the pack when it comes to controls. Red Dead 2, while a masterpiece, was a ****-show in terms of controls. It is just clunky and unintuitive.

It's bizarre for a studio with their resources. I have a feeling they are inclined to lean toward 'their' control style for consistency instead of an overhaul that might be jarring for seasoned players for a while.

I really wish they would just bite the bullet and overhaul it on the next release because it really does take the shine off and bring unnecessary frustration to what are otherwise brilliant games.

Red Dead R2 controls are miles ahead of GTA San Andreas. Your looking at someone and click aim and the gun aims at some one behind you usually one of your own gang members. I played a bit of vice city 2 or 3 years ago and that is even worse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Never mind San Andreas, RDR2 was a massive improvement over GTAV for controls both shooting and movement.

In GTAV you'd get caught on doors or while moving through any confined space, Red Dead never felt like that. Anyone remember chasing the kid in RDR2 in Saint Dennis, if that had been GTA you'd never been able to get through it without getting caught on everything. Any kind of precision movement whether in a confined space or narrow walkways or at heights you'd either get stuck or fall off if it was GTAV. Trying to get down ladders or across ship gangways in GTA was a dice roll.

Shooting was just as much an improvement, you'd actually hit what you wanted to hit in RDR2. Controller or mouse there was a vast improvement. First person mouse controls in GTAV were extremely archaic.

Was enjoying APEX legends until out of nowhere I got banned. Contacted support and it must be automated or something, was told they are upholding their ban.

Then you see tweets like this:

https://twitter.com/alphaINTEL/status/1407746617512534017/photo/1

Some shower of useless cnuts.

Varik wrote: »
    Never mind San Andreas, RDR2 was a massive improvement over GTAV for controls both shooting and movement.

In GTAV you'd get caught on doors or while moving through any confined space, Red Dead never felt like that. Anyone remember chasing the kid in RDR2 in Saint Dennis, if that had been GTA you'd never been able to get through it without getting caught on everything. Any kind of precision movement whether in a confined space or narrow walkways or at heights you'd either get stuck or fall off if it was GTAV. Trying to get down ladders or across ship gangways in GTA was a dice roll.

Shooting was just as much an improvement, you'd actually hit what you wanted to hit in RDR2. Controller or mouse there was a vast improvement. First person mouse controls in GTAV were extremely archaic.

I agree with you. I though RDR2 had great controls. GTA V wasn't too bad though but like you said you had to walk up really slow to a ladder to go down correctly. Walk up to it quickly and you would drop to your death if up a bit highish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was enjoying APEX legends until out of nowhere I got banned. Contacted support and it must be automated or something, was told they are upholding their ban.

Then you see tweets like this:

https://twitter.com/alphaINTEL/status/1407746617512534017/photo/1

Some shower of useless cnuts.

Looks like that's sorted now.

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1407830396281229312

Advertisement