Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

That's what I said to him. He didn't really have an answer. I asked could another kg of clover be added to the mix and he said he couldn't vary from what goes into the bags. And I can always set clover again
    If I wanted.

Are you in glanbia area?
    They have very good mixes I find. Very high yielding.
    Or ring germinal seeds they are very good for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

That's what I said to him. He didn't really have an answer. I asked could another kg of clover be added to the mix and he said he couldn't vary from what goes into the bags. And I can always set clover again
    If I wanted.

Just goes to show you need to do your own homework through places like here and look at the dept approved grass varieties .etc.some an afull lot of salesmen haven't a clue when u start asking questions and start bluffing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Teagasc have plenty good info as well available through google

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

When's the latest ye would think of setting seed lads bearing in mind I'm on the wet and windy west coast? Always thought spring reseeded came better around here from what I seen but easier to put a few acres aside this time of year to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Have a small bit to do next week.
    Looking for probably a pallet of 10's and gran lime .
    Any prices ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

Would anyone ever consider sowing an early heading variety as a monoculture? Am looking at the variety called Rosetta and it has double the spring grass value of all other varieties it has relatively average summer and autumn values and has reasonable value for grass quality. It looks like a variety suited to growing grass at the shoulders. So while I except its a no no to use an early header in a mix with late headers does the same rule apply when using it as a monoculture?

LC
    My own tuppence is you want at least 2 good grazings before closing for the winter. Considering it will be very prone to poaching the earlier you can start grazing the better so I agree for wet land the earlier the better.

browned wrote: »
    Would anyone ever consider sowing an early heading variety as a monoculture? Am looking at the variety called Rosetta and it has double the spring grass value of all other varieties it has relatively average summer and autumn values and has reasonable value for grass quality. It looks like a variety suited to growing grass at the shoulders. So while I except its a no no to use an early header in a mix with late headers does the same rule apply when using it as a monoculture?

Does heading date matter that much?
    It's probably a week early than most. Will that make much of a diifer

Walked my reseed today. The seed was spread 17 days ago and is flying ahead on the wetter spots and slower to come on the drier areas. It's got ideal rain since spreading the seed - a bit every day! Now if it stops again in a few weeks to allow it to dry out for post emergence spray and grazing I'll be laughing. September is normally a dry enough month right? (fingers crossed)

This went in a bit late for my liking in September 2013 and the photo tells why I'm not an advocate of autumn reseeds on wet land. On the left is the drier section of the field where I managed to get it grazed before closing in 2013 and again in early Spring 2014. On the right it didn't get grazed before closing and didn't get an early graze in 2014. By the time it was grazed it was gone too heavy. The line is where temporary wire was used to split it into paddocks. Other than grazings both sides have gotten the same lime, slurry, and fertiliser since 2013. It's also closed for second cut with the first cut been taken in mid June so both sides should look the same. You can see the difference in quality.

2015_08_01_22_50_22.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

When's the latest ye would think of setting seed lads bearing in mind I'm on the wet and windy west coast? Always thought spring reseeded came better around here from what I seen but easier to put a few acres aside this time of year to do it.

Can be tricky to graze it at the back end of the year, not ideal if it got too wet and you had to leave to the spring. Having said that have 7 acres to do next week but the weather isn't looking great. I wouldn't seed anything after the end of august unless you could get some light stock or sheep to give it a light graze.

raypallas wrote: »
    Can be tricky to graze it at the back end of the year, not ideal if it got too wet and you had to leave to the spring. Having said that have 7 acres to do next week but the weather isn't looking great. I wouldn't seed anything after the end of august unless you could get some light stock or sheep to give it a light graze.

Sheep would be part of my plan on any reseeding I plan on doing, thinks cows are too heavy for the ground around here anyway until the sod thickens up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Sheep would be part of my plan on any reseeding I plan on doing, thinks cows are too heavy for the ground around here anyway until the sod thickens up again.

Saw you asking about a flok number all right limestone.
    What are your fences like?
    As for the sod - I assume you would go the spray, chain harrow route - to minimise existing sod disturbance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Finally got the bit of reseeding done here...
    Fcuking months later than planned :(
    (Plan was to do it in June, not August)

Anyways, in now... Raining away on it now...

Saw you asking about a flok number all right limestone.
    What are your fences like?
    As for the sod - I assume you would go the spray, chain harrow route - to minimise existing sod disturbance?

I was thinking of going with 4 strands of polywire where I had intended to do. It's about 4 acres of a big open 20 acre field. Have a friend that fences them in that way and it works the finest for him. There's a few mootes I wanted to level off so would need a digger there for a few hours and was going to give it a few runs of a disc and chain Harrow. It's the way the contractor always does it and seems to do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Robson99

I was thinking of going with 4 strands of polywire where I had intended to do. It's about 4 acres of a big open 20 acre field. Have a friend that fences them in that way and it works the finest for him. There's a few mootes I wanted to level off so would need a digger there for a few hours and was going to give it a few runs of a disc and chain Harrow. It's the way the contractor always does it and seems to do the business.

Have 10 acres sprayed off for 3 weeks here. Waiting for a few fine days to disc it and sow, [ going with 3 runs of disc and seed with one pass ].
    Looks like wont happen this week either with weather. Depressing!!!

Does heading date matter that much?
    It's probably a week early than most. Will that make much of a diifer

It matters a lot in a mix as multiple heading days can cause havoc but I've no idea would it matter in a monoculture. The spring growth of this grass is fantastic and isn't that when you really need good growth.

browned wrote: »
    It matters a lot in a mix as multiple heading days can cause havoc but I've no idea would it matter in a monoculture. The spring growth of this grass is fantastic and isn't that when you really need good growth.

I'd say give it a shot so. Just keep it well grazed in may.
    Sowed clanrye here yesterday. Fantastic soil where we sowed it

Just a thought for next year. Only spring reseeding here. Sowed 3 paddocks of abergain and one each of Abergreen (I think) and a clanrye this year. Have a few grazings off the clanrye. Looks good so far.

What method GG?

• Advertisement

2015_08_02_21_05_48.jpg

Robson99 wrote: »
    What method GG?

Horsch tillage drill. Put fert down with it too
    Last pic is last job we did in may with it.
    First graze 1st July 3rd graze finished today.

Horsch tillage drill. Put fert down with it too
    Last pic is last job we did in may with it.
    First graze 1st July 3rd graze finished today.

Thats serious going GG. Have always been a bit sceptical about using DDrilling but if weather doesn't improve might have no choice.

Thats serious going GG. Have always been a bit sceptical about using DDrilling but if weather doesn't improve might have no choice.

All reseeding will be done that way hete from now on. Great job imo.
    That ground gas grown just short of 5t grass since it was sown.
    Excellent weather for it atm. Nice and damp.

All reseeding will be done that way hete from now on. Great job imo.
    That ground gas grown just short of 5t grass since it was sown.
    Excellent weather for it atm. Nice and damp.

Very clean award. What post emergence spray did you use?

Very clean award. What post emergence spray did you use?

Master crop under sown. Was clean before we reseeded so no weeds really got into new one.
    I would spray for weeds first though if it was a dirty field and sowing that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

How long is it taking seeds to germinate in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

djmc wrote: »
    How long is it taking seeds to germinate in this weather

If they have sense they won't. 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Was to reseed 7 acres here in the south west but the weather has been too wet,let the cows graze it for the last week without spraying because I got sick of waiting for a dry spell.
    Could I spray and reseed after the cows finish or would I have to wait for fresh regrowth?will be power harrowing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Was to reseed 7 acres here in the south west but the weather has been too wet,let the cows graze it for the last week without spraying because I got sick of waiting for a dry spell.
    Could I spray and reseed after the cows finish or would I have to wait for fresh regrowth?will be power harrowing

Advertisement