Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your lowest point during the Bailout Years

Options
123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Happy to say you're debt free and saving to get back in to even more debt? :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

pablo128 wrote: »
    A bit of a climbdown there?

No it's reality, it's the mentality of this country blaming everyone and everything, constant whinging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

I drove a 1988 Nissan Bluebird that people used to genuinely laugh at. I watched friends and family members take out mortgages, buy new cars, go on holidays etc. All of which they couldn't afford and somehow I was the mad one for not following. Suffice to say they are not exactly living lives of luxury now.

I'm sitting here, in my own house, car in the garage, wife-to-be by my side and a business doing well for itself. Absolutely no debt

Aren't you great. Nothing worse than self praise while having a go at people you were probably jealous of at the time they had the nice cars etc at least they got to experience nice things while you drove your bluebird:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

JustTheOne wrote: »
    No it's reality, it's the mentality of this country blaming everyone and everything, constant whinging.

So what caused the recession then? People overstretching themselves, or just a global thing?

FWIW many people who were financially prudent, young and old, lost their jobs.

pablo128 wrote: »
    So what caused the recession then? People overstretching themselves, or just a global thing?

FWIW many people who were financially prudent, young and old, lost their jobs.

Exactly, it is inevitable every 15 or so years a recession will happen.

I think we're agreeing here.

The poster i was replying to was blaming Noonan for the recession and young people leaving.

Such hyperbole and misinformed waffle you hear soon Paul Murphy and Ruth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It has though.

The poster said young people were leaving because of peoples greed.

Im pointing out the recession wasn't to do with greed, it was a global recession which was always going to happen.

That has noting to do with people over stretching themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Happy to say you're debt free and saving to get back in to even more dept? :-/

So I should spend 1200 a month on rent instead and never own a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

eviltwin wrote: »
    That has noting to do with people over stretching themselves

I think the point he was making was that people who overstretched themselves during the "good times" suffered particularly badly during the recession because they had overstretched themselves.

There are plenty of people who didn't struggle to meet their mortgage repayments, for example, because they bought very modest houses during the Celtic Tiger, so when their pay fell, they could still cover the mortgage comfortably.
    For people who took our big mortgages and car loans etc, they had no flexibility, and that was because they took out excessive loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Greyian wrote: »
    I think the point he was making was that people who overstretched themselves during the "good times" suffered particularly badly during the recession because they had overstretched themselves.

There are plenty of people who didn't struggle to meet their mortgage repayments, for example, because they bought very modest houses during the Celtic Tiger, so when their pay fell, they could still cover the mortgage comfortably.
    For people who took our big mortgages and car loans etc, they had no flexibility, and that was because they took out excessive loans.

And for every person up to their b0llox with a McMansion and a Landcruiser, there were families like mine who were left jobless with 1200 rent. You cant cover mortgage/rent comfortably with no money, regardless whether you overstretched or not.

I'd like to add a thanks to everyone who expressed concern earlier in the thread at our situation at the time. We are doing fine now, thank god. It turned me into a complete tightwad though. I let rip at my mate recently for buying a new wooden side gate for his house, when I could have made one for him for nothing out of discarded wood out of my job!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The recession was a global event, it wasn't caused by Joe & Mary in Blanchardstown topping up their mortgage every couple of years for a massive holiday. But when the **** hit the fan Joe & Mary should have taken responsiblty for what they did, not just blame it on the government.

And yes there are lots of people who are horrific whingers, everything is an excuse for a bit of a moan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Sold a house in Ireland (which was mortgage free ) in early 2008 ,and went abroad ,where i still am .So i avoided Ireland's recession .My bad times were in London in the late 80s ,when i ended up living in a lock up garage for a year .(but still had work ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My family never had much money anyway, so didn't notice it at all. And none of my friends were affected by it really. My Mother still had the same job, luckily she is in an industry that wasn't hit much. Still low pay though!

I was also just starting college. I had a part time job all throughout college which was above minimum wage..and as a college student that was great! Also pretty much walked into a well paid job after college.

Many of my colleagues were very badly hit by the ressesion. A lot of them are at the age where they bought houses they couldn't afford and lost them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah dont throw it back at people folks, we can all make mistakes in life. be glad you some how made the right decisions in life but spare a thought for those that are in trouble. no debts myself but im deeply concerned for the families that are in trouble.

this is important , being smug about your financial state now is probably worse than those lording it up in the boom.
    Worse because now you are mocking somebody in pain and distress.

I'm lucky things been pretty even apart from the USC charge for me.
    Mortgage is steady and not in neg equity.

my hardest part was watching friends suffer esp those in construction - one night I treated my mate to a night out pints, coke the works but could see the embarassment in his eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kiwiq

Having to ask my parents for money just to eat has to be my lowest moment ever, considering they were struggling as well. I'm happy now living abroad but still very bitter and angry about many aspects of the whole crisis. I honestly don't think I could ever move back now and I am quite happy to raise my children as Kiwis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was working when my circumstances were so dire I was living on the tesco value range, but when you add in rent, having to support other people who should have been working, travel expenses, and other stuff I should have cut down like (like smoking especially), living on barely minimum wage is a tough call.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It has though.

The poster said young people were leaving because of peoples greed.

Im pointing out the recession wasn't to do with greed, it was a global recession which was always going to happen.

Bulls***t.
    The Global crisis had little to do with how our corrupt bankers, developers and politicians behaved. Those of them who lost money were reimbursed while the ordinary man who borrowed was left to fend for himself.
    Stop putting your party first for a change.

Bulls***t.
    The Global crisis had little to do with how our corrupt bankers, developers and politicians behaved. Those of them who lost money were reimbursed while the ordinary man who borrowed was left to fend for himself.
    Stop putting your party first for a change.

Once again recession had nothing to do with the politicians that you like to blame.

It was a global recession and Noonan had nothing to do with people having to emigrate, please try to do some basic research into why recessions occur.

Once again recession had nothing to do with the politicians that you like to blame.

It was a global recession and Noonan had nothing to do with people having to emigrate, please try to do some basic research into why recessions occur.[/QUOTE

Ok continue to hide all the Govt failings, corruption and cronyism behind the "global recession". It will cover a multitude. Ireland never changes, continuous loop.

Listen the current government were NOT in power when the recession occurred.

They are not to blame for the recession no matter how many times you try type it on a keyboard.

In fact since they came into power we have exited the recession.

They may be to blame for many things but the recession No.

Listen the current government were NOT in power when the recession occurred.

They are not to blame for the recession no matter how many times you try type it on a keyboard.

In fact since they came into power we have exited the recession.

They may be to blame for many things but the recession No.

They made sure their pals didn't suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

It didn't affect us at all, I had been lucky to have gotten a decent pay rise before the sh1te hit the fan and was in an industry that up until a year ago, didn't suffer a dip, the sh1te has definitely hit the fan with it now and there have been a lot of redundancies now, including myself.

They made sure their pals didn't suffer.

But they aren't to blame for the recession, at least we agree on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It was a global recession and Noonan had nothing to do with people having to emigrate, please try to do some basic research into why recessions occur.
    We borrowed money to build houses on flood plains, ghost estates in places where there were no jobs expect building houses, and splashed out on foreign properties in countries we'd never been to and you blame the global recession. If the global recession is to blame then why didn't everywhere suffer the same unemployment and emigration as we did.
    At the height of it 15% of the work force was in construction, add on services to construction and you're over 20% of the workforce in a building bubble that would leave parts of this country with more stock than it would need in three generations!
    Our regulators didn't regulate, our politicians kept property tax breaks long past their initial purpose and most damning of all the wheels came off the Irish property bubble 18months before Lehman brothers.

Take you global recession primer back to the Fianna Fail/Green party cretin who gave you candy on the street.

catbear wrote: »
    We borrowed money to build houses on flood plains, ghost estates in places where there were no jobs expect building houses, and splashed out on foreign properties in countries we'd never been to and you blame the global recession. If the global recession is to blame then why didn't everywhere suffer the same unemployment and emigration as we did.
    At the height of it 15% of the work force was in construction, add on services to construction and you're over 20% of the workforce in a building bubble that would leave parts of this country with more stock than it would need in three generations!
    Our regulators didn't regulate, our politicians kept property tax breaks long past their initial purpose and most damning of all the wheels came off the Irish property bubble 18months before Lehman brothers.

Take you global recession primer back to the Fianna Fail/Green party cretin who gave you candy on the street.

oh I agree the people had a huge part aswell in the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manolo sanchez

Salary slashed, usc etc eating up remaining pay my husband developing throat cancer the enormous financial impact that made on us, my eldest daughter deferring college to work to help the family out, that was hard everyone wants to help their kids not have them put their lives on hold. But the smug I am alright jack attitude is disgusting, I wouldn't want anyone to suffer and struggle much less sit back and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Salary slashed, usc etc eating up remaining pay my husband developing throat cancer the enormous financial impact that made on us, my eldest daughter deferring college to work to help the family out, that was hard everyone wants to help their kids not have them put their lives on hold. But the smug I am alright jack attitude is disgusting, I wouldn't want anyone to suffer and struggle much less sit back and enjoy it.

Im really sorry for your situation with what must be a heart breaking first post. It puts others peoples problems in perspective - I agree that the smug comments are insensitive, but with a lot of people once life is okay with them they will gladly rub others faces in it. Sad really. I hope your situation improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

soap1978 wrote: »
    having to shop in aldi

in 2006 this post would get you probably hundreds of whore-likes. In 2015 not so funny anymore. ;)

Advertisement