Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your lowest point during the Bailout Years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Stayed in bed once for 4 days straight cos I had no food. On the 5th day I caved in and opened the tin of John West tuna that was in my cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

oceanman wrote: »
    maybe because very few people are feeling better off in their pockets!

Really? So the people who used to be on the dole who now have jobs are worse off? You do accept that the unemployment rate is reducing right?

Jaysus lads, God help ye if you think this is hard. Try living in Greece!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to say I would have had much rougher times in the late 70s and early 80s compared to the past few years - now that was a recession!
    This short blip was a cakewalk by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

We had to let the third car go - it was tough, but needs must. And the kitchen hasn't been remodeled since all this madness began. We just toughed it out. The shaker Maple has really begun to grate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

All jokes aside...Is the recession over? Things as still bad as far as I can see. Dublin must be recovering some bit but anywhere outside of it is anything but thriving. I'm drunk so I'll shut up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

The recession is over until the election results next year, and then, by some magical and fantastical turn of events/spin, it will return. Bigtime.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

LaVail wrote: »
    All jokes aside...Is the recession over? Things as still bad as far as I can see. Dublin must be recovering some bit but anywhere outside of it is anything but thriving. I'm drunk so I'll shut up now.

I've only recently started buying double quilted bog roll again so yes, its over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Yeah it is in dublin we've started snorting coke with €50 euro notes again and throwing them away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

The Bailout is finished at least for the moment so the Bailout Years are over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Locking into a fixed rate mortgage at 5.59% in 2008. ****ing painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

far from over im afraid. dublin and a few other places dont seem to be doing too bad but other smaller towns, villages and even cities aint doing great. dont think irelands economy will be great for a while. deeply concerned of the amount of people in arrears with their mortgages. have a funny feeling the whole euro zone is gonna stagnate for a while. very interesting to watch the whole greece thing. at least somebody is sticking it to the imf but i have a funny feeling greece are gonna get shafted here.

retalivity wrote: »
    I've only recently started buying double quilted bog roll again so yes, its over

Unless it's andrex quilts with plush cushiony layers then we're not out of the woods yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    far from over im afraid. dublin and a few other places dont seem to be doing too bad but other smaller towns, villages and even cities aint doing great. dont think irelands economy will be great for a while. deeply concerned of the amount of people in arrears with their mortgages. have a funny feeling the whole euro zone is gonna stagnate for a while. very interesting to watch the whole greece thing. at least somebody is sticking it to the imf but i have a funny feeling greece are gonna get shafted here.

Yeah unemployment rate was 19% down here in Waterford last year. It has decreased since but not by much. Dublin might be picking up, not so much in some other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Greece will not be allowed win

That's what I was thinking. I have many friends in trouble. No jobs, no money and mortgages to pay. I'm lucky enough to be debt free and in work but 75% of my mates are on the dole, not by choice though I might add. In my opinion Ireland as a whole wont recover for another few years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

We had to let the third car go - it was tough, but needs must. And the kitchen hasn't been remodeled since all this madness began. We just toughed it out. The shaker Maple has really begun to grate though.

I feel your pain.

Greentopia wrote: »
    Yeah unemployment rate was 19% down here in Waterford last year. It has decreased since but not by much. Dublin might be picking up, not so much in some other parts.

jebus is that what we were? greece's 25% is scary though. dublin seems pretty strong to me. seems to be bouncing back but then again clerys brings it back to earth.
    Greece will not be allowed win

yea i think its game set and match
    That's what I was thinking. I have many friends in trouble. No jobs, no money and mortgages to pay. I'm lucky enough to be debt free and in work but 75% of my mates are on the dole, not by choice though I might add. In my opinion Ireland as a whole wont recover for another few years yet.

yea its not nice to watch people in trouble. its been very difficult to watch all this unfold

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

blackcard wrote: »
    The lowest point for me was the day of the Bailout itself, our leaders slumped without hope or leadership, watching little old Ireland making headlines international headlines on Sky, BBC, CNN, Bloomers. I wondered whither Ireland. That was the day I stopped watching the news. That was the lowest point of the Bailout Years for me. What was your lowest point?

The lowest point for me was realising that the party (Fianna Fail) who caused the mess that forced the bailout were once again the largest party - how quickly the Irish public forgave , and made them once again the largest party in the land.
    Hopefully they will never get into power again

thebaz wrote: »
    The lowest point for me was realising that the party (Fianna Fail) who caused the mess that forced the bailout were once again the largest party - how quickly the Irish public forgave , and made them once again the largest party in the land.
    Hopefully they will never get into power again

dont be surprised if they walz back in. i was recently talking to a chap thats up to his eyeballs in debt(mortgage), lost his job, moved and got a new job, which isnt exactly stable, and said, he cant wait for them to get back into power! scary people in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that the Labour party are finished due their betrayal of the common folk.Pat rabitte and Joan Burton are going to set up as a duet and sing "unchained melody" to raise funds for the next election campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Eating ****ing beans and oven chips from the tesco value range for 2 meals every day for nearly 8 months.
    Struggling to pay rent every month
    Not buying any new clothes for over a year.

yea its not nice to watch people in trouble. its been very difficult to watch all this unfold

I work on a golf course in north Kerry and 95% of people I meet are American. Wall street traders, merrill lynch employees, bankers etc and I always ask them "how is the economy in the states" all of them reply "not as good s the rest of the world thinks" even the U.S is putting on a a facade when it comes to the economy. We are no different, regardless of what the media and government portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I work on a golf course in north Kerry and 95% of people I meet are American. Wall street traders, merrill lynch employees, bankers etc and I always ask them "how is the economy in the states" all of them reply "not as good s the rest of the world thinks" even the U.S is putting on a a facade when it comes to the economy. We are no different, regardless of what the media and government portrait.

Indeed. All our economic polices should based on the input of American golfers.

thanks for that. interesting to hear. only been to the states once, years ago. feckin recession! was talking to an american girl here while ago. said something similar.

Plates wrote: »

probably already is

Plates wrote: »
    thanks for that. interesting to hear. only been to the states once, years ago. feckin recession! was talking to an american girl here while ago. said something similar.

I'm drunk sorry :(

Thought I was making sense but doesn't look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

cloud493 wrote: »
    Eating ****ing beans and oven chips from the tesco value range for 2 meals every day for nearly 8 months.

I wasn't that bad. Got rid of satellite TV, no foreign holidays, got rid of the landlines phone, no new furniture but never went hungry

I'm drunk sorry :(

Thought I was making sense but doesn't look like it.

hahaha. here let me pour that beer for you. you're not drunk enough

blackcard wrote: »
    I wasn't that bad. Got rid of satellite TV, no foreign holidays, got rid of the landlines phone, no new furniture but never went hungry

to be honest folks, i think we needed this kick in the hole but its still not nice to watch unfold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

LaVail wrote:

There's a lot of obscene wealth in the US.It's very disproportionately distributed though.

Advertisement