Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your lowest point during the Bailout Years

Options
  • 19-06-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭

Just as people years ago told their children and grandchildren about the
    Emergency Years and the Famine Years, in time to come we will tell our descendants about the Bailout Years. For me, it had a drip drip effect. First pay cut, tax increase, another pay cut, increased USC, another pay cut, friends losing their jobs, friends emigrating, increased unemployment, the bank debt increasing by billions, worrying about a run on the banks. The lowest point for me was the day of the Bailout itself, our leaders slumped without hope or leadership, watching little old Ireland making headlines international headlines on Sky, BBC, CNN, Bloomers. I wondered whither Ireland. That was the day I stopped watching the news. That was the lowest point of the Bailout Years for me. What was your lowest point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Having to fly business class on all my flights during the recession. The thoughts of it now *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

you talk as if its over

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

having to shop in aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Having to feed de fambly to de childers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I'm going through it at the moment.

We've all made a total mess of this world. It should be taken away from us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭semionova

you talk as if its over

It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

2008 I was made redundant. Our daughter was 4 months old. Herself had a decent job so I decided to be a 'stay-at-home' dad for a while. 2 months later she was made redundant. Our rent was 1200 a month. They were nervous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Bailout years? Bailout years?!

Not watching one of the 300 news channels for a day or two and having to chat to your mate on Skype instead of over a latte down the local Starbuck's does not constitute hardship OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A bit of perspective is needed. The Emergency and moreso the Famine were countless times worse than anything that has happened in this country in the past decade.

Not watching one of the 300 news channels for a day or two and having to chat to your mate on Skype instead of over a latte down the local Starbuck's does not constitute hardship OP.

What does then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Having to smoke Amber leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

pablo128 wrote: »
    2008 I was made redundant. Our daughter was 4 months old. Herself had a decent job so I decided to be a 'stay-at-home' dad for a while. 2 months later she was made redundant. Our rent was 1200 a month. They were nervous times.

Tough times, hope you're doing better now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

The bailout years was the best time of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Did he say it did? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭semionova

I really hope things improved for you. Must have been tough worrying with a child etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What does then?

Fifteen of us used to travel the 30 miles to school on a Massey 35 with no cab. Pushing it mind, we couldn't afford to put diesel in it. In the bare feet. With potato bags for coats. Used potato bags, the good ones had to be kept for the spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

At the airport when emigrating I had to remove a bag of kerr pinks from my luggage cause they were pushing me over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Redundancy. Although that was a blessing in disguise, as in a lot better job now. The full year out of work though, before even getting something part time, and on a course, was soul destroying at times, possibly leading to the verge of depression.

Fifteen of us used to travel the 30 miles to school on a Massey 35 with no cab. Pushing it mind, we couldn't afford to put diesel in it. In the bare feet. With potato bags for coats. Used potato bags, the good ones had to be kept for the spuds.

Aw, I thought it would include some reference to turf. Or one of those silly makey up culchie words. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

The bailout had nothing to do with people been made redundant, I wish we as a nation would stop blaming the bailout for everything wrong in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

kippy wrote: »
    A bit of perspective is needed. The Emergency and moreso the Famine were countless times worse than anything that has happened in this country in the past decade.

Of course you are right and it is relative. There was a certain period where you got nervous if there was a queue at an ATM. I took out some of my savings and hid it at home. There was a sense of despair and fear for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

The last few years have been a wet dream for Joe Duffy and his "tell me something awful" band of followers. There seems to be a huge chunk of the population who refuse to acknowledge that things are getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Having to steal bog roll from the local pub as i couldn't afford to buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

being made redundant, unable to find a job for months, then emigrating, **** Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Having to steal bog roll from the local pub as i couldn't afford to buy it

But you could afford to go to...

Ah forget it.

Got my redundancy notice New Years Day 2008. Tough few years, but we got through it. Hope ye are doing ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Probably having to join FARC (the Colombian guerrilla's ) for 5 grams of pure cocaine a week. Which sells very well in Dublin. Eamon Dunphy was really happy because he could finally get good coke in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Having to pick bits of coke off the floor when I spilled the bag.... Just kidding I never spill dat shiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

ISOP wrote: »
    being made redundant, unable to find a job for months, then emigrating, **** Ireland.

What exciting part of the world did you end up in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

Plates wrote: »
    The last few years have been a wet dream for Joe Duffy and his "tell me something awful" band of followers. There seems to be a huge chunk of the population who refuse to acknowledge that things are getting better.
    maybe because very few people are feeling better off in their pockets!

Advertisement